DesertXpress inks deal to add train link from Victorville to Palmdale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the link to this najor update news story about XpressWest on the California High Speed Rail blog titled "Partner outlines vision for high-speed rail system".

Tony Marnell claims that they have raised the $1.5 billion in private funding commitments and have been undergoing extensive review of the loan by the FRA in the past 3 months. My read is that the purpose of this interview and other news stories I've seen in recent weeks about the XpressWest RRIF loan application is that the announcement of the RRIF loan will be made soon. Perhaps very soon. They are getting their side of the story out to the press and public before the flak that will occur in the anti-rail press when the loan is granted.

Lots of other news in the article:

-The plan is for a max speed of 190 mph. Trains will be capable of 220 mph, but will stay at lower speeds to save on power consumption costs.

-Discusses how he expects Palmdale to become a critical transportation link location.

-The Victorville location is expected to draw heavily from the Inland Empire region for the customer base.

-Discusses plans for service to Phoenix, Salt Lake City, even Denver.

Saw the link to this najor update news story about XpressWest on the California High Speed Rail blog titled "Partner outlines vision for high-speed rail system".

Tony Marnell claims that they have raised the $1.5 billion in private funding commitments and have been undergoing extensive review of the loan by the FRA in the past 3 months. My read is that the purpose of this interview and other news stories I've seen in recent weeks about the XpressWest RRIF loan application is that the announcement of the RRIF loan will be made soon. Perhaps very soon. They are getting their side of the story out to the press and public before the flak that will occur in the anti-rail press when the loan is granted.

Lots of other news in the article:

-The plan is for a max speed of 190 mph. Trains will be capable of 220 mph, but will stay at lower speeds to save on power consumption costs.

-Discusses how he expects Palmdale to become a critical transportation link location.

-The Victorville location is expected to draw heavily from the Inland Empire region for the customer base.

-Discusses plans for service to Phoenix, Salt Lake City, even Denver.
Interesting article. A few thoughts:

> I enjoyed his 'political dance' with the current political climate in the US.

> Denver... Hmmm. From what he is saying (Go over mountain passes w/ HSR, not through them in tunnels) Raton Pass could have HSR in its future if XW were to ever try to go to Denver from either Phoenix or Vegas.

> Basing the jobs in Vegas makes a lot of sense (politically and economically) given the current state of the Vegas economy.

I still dunno about the Phoenix idea. There's some pretty rugged terrain between Phoenix and Kingman, and around Hoover Dam. Going via Needles would save some work, but you'd still need to do a lot of earthmoving/tunneling.

Just out of curiosity, I poked around DX/XW's website again this evening, and I found this:

http://www.xpresswest.com/expansion.html

At least in the short term, they're now expressly indicating an intended transfer to/from Metrolink at Palmdale until CAHSR gets up and going (and in fact, they're playing up Metrolink connectivity as well). This actually brings up some interesting questions:

1) Are there any plans to "bulk up" Metrolink services along the Antelope Valley Line in conjunction with this? Right now, service on the line is very commuter-oriented (only two afternoon trains into LA on weekdays), and there's no Sunday service, so I'd guess that something would need to get bulked up less a train full of returning vacationers find themselves in Palmdale without a ride home.

2) The Metrolink station has "only" 586 spaces. Considering the number that are likely taken by commuters (and comparing Washington Union Station's roughly 2500 spaces), I highly doubt that the current parking is going to be sufficient for both Metrolink and a train to Las Vegas. Are there going to be plans to expand the parking facilities (or acquire a dedicated lot/garage for the Vegas service)?

3) Likewise, is there any word on station facilities? Again, a station that looks roughly on par with Glenview, IL or Williamsburg, VA does not seem like a good candidate to run a bunch of passengers through for a high-speed service.

Just out of curiosity, I poked around DX/XW's website again this evening, and I found this:

http://www.xpresswes.../expansion.html

At least in the short term, they're now expressly indicating an intended transfer to/from Metrolink at Palmdale until CAHSR gets up and going (and in fact, they're playing up Metrolink connectivity as well). This actually brings up some interesting questions:

1) Are there any plans to "bulk up" Metrolink services along the Antelope Valley Line in conjunction with this? Right now, service on the line is very commuter-oriented (only two afternoon trains into LA on weekdays), and there's no Sunday service, so I'd guess that something would need to get bulked up less a train full of returning vacationers find themselves in Palmdale without a ride home.

2) The Metrolink station has "only" 586 spaces. Considering the number that are likely taken by commuters (and comparing Washington Union Station's roughly 2500 spaces), I highly doubt that the current parking is going to be sufficient for both Metrolink and a train to Las Vegas. Are there going to be plans to expand the parking facilities (or acquire a dedicated lot/garage for the Vegas service)?

3) Likewise, is there any word on station facilities? Again, a station that looks roughly on par with Glenview, IL or Williamsburg, VA does not seem like a good candidate to run a bunch of passengers through for a high-speed service.
First, the Metrolink board has approved a plan to greatly improve the SFV to Antelope valley rail lines with a goal of increasing speeds. Money for this comes from the CAHSR approved project bonds. Second, I would expect most of the passengers to come from the SFV and the rest of northern LA city, not needing parking there. With all of this, and the Board Presidents implied remarks, I would expect a major increase in number of weekend runs.

BTW, Antonivich (the board president) has also kicked around electrification.

First, the Metrolink board has approved a plan to greatly improve the SFV to Antelope valley rail lines with a goal of increasing speeds. Money for this comes from the CAHSR approved project bonds. Second, I would expect most of the passengers to come from the SFV and the rest of northern LA city, not needing parking there. With all of this, and the Board Presidents implied remarks, I would expect a major increase in number of weekend runs.
BTW, Antonivich (the board president) has also kicked around electrification.
Search out discussion on the "Bay to Basin" concept for the HSR.

All of that is very good to hear (particularly the reduced trip times, since I suspect 2 hrs on Metrolink would hurt ridership on that segment). I see what you're saying about parking; I'd expect some additional parking to be needed, or alternatively some spaces to be changed over to long-term parking (for folks who just don't want to spend two hours on a commuter train coming and going, or who live in the area), but I agree that a ramp-up on Metrolink would cut back the needs on this front.

Also worth thinking about: If it succeeds, I think this is only the second case in the US where you've got two intercity lines being linked by a commuter rail line (the other being in Boston).

Edit: Bay to Basin is becoming a mess since there's no funding in place for a Bakersfield-LA (or even Bakersfield-Palmdale/Lancaster) link. That likely accounts for the upgrades to the Antelope Valley line (especially electrification), but I still don't see where that link is coming from at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back