Derailment and Crash on Metro north at Bridgeport Ct

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to what may have caused the derailment/collision…

I'm a retired engineman (Conrail/MN/Amtrak) -- worked on the New Haven line for 32 years. Retired in early 2012.

The derailment was in the vicinity of the [now-closed] Burr Road tower, under the I-95 overpass. There's a relatively gentle curve at that location. The eastbound train that derailed would have been turning "towards the right".

I belive tracks 2 and 4 there (tracks 1 and 3 are out-of-service for catenary and bridge construnction) had concrete ties installed several years' back.

I'm not sure how many others may have noticed, but concrete ties have significant problems in some locations due to moisture underneath. They literally begin to disintegrate (from the "bottom up") from the constant pounding of trains above. Unlike wooden ties -- which have some resliience and act as a "shock absorber" between the movement of the train above and the ballast below -- a concrete tie cannot absorb the forces from trains passing over them.

The result is that the ties will begin to grind away underneath, and the powdery residue will be visible on the track surface, as if someone had spilled a bag of cement all around the location.

Second factor: The type of insulated rail joints that are now being used to deliniate blocks. These are "pre-assembled" (I think some kind of adhesive is used to further strengthen them), and then spliced in at the required locations. The splices are then "welded in place" with the existing rails.

These insulated joints are very good when new -- almost undectable from the viewpoint of operating over them. But that's _when new_. As they age, they can work their way "loose", and the joint can begin to "fall down".

Now -- combine a location that has one of these aging insulated joints (perhaps on both rails) with concrete ties at a location where there is moisture underneath. Not only do you have the downward and lateral forces exerted by the train above, the point of wear is compounded by the bad joint, continually "pounded down".

At some point, the wear may be enough that something breaks under load.

If it were just "solid rail", a few ties might break. But under a bad joint, the joint itself might break, and now you have broken rail combined with ties that simply crumble under the stress. Thus -- the beginning of the derailment.

The fact that the location involves curvature, might explain why the eastbound on track 4 now fouled track 2 -- at the same moment that a westbound train was passing by.

From what I could see from the pictures available on the net, looks like the eastbound on 4 (that derailed) may have run into trouble just about where the "old limits" of Burr Road once were. The switches and signals are gone now, but the insulated joints still remain (this is where the second block west of CP255 begins).

This is only my guess:
The insulated joints of that location, on concrete ties, had worn down, resulting in heavy pounding of the ties below, which had begun to disintegrate. The forces of the passing train yesterday became "the straw that broke the camel's back" -- the joint broke apart, the train derailed and fouled track 2, after which the westbound struck it.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it….As to what may have caused the derailment/collision…

Last edited:
WOW, it seems to say something about this forum when only Amamba has expressed any concern at all about the fact that at least 70 passengers were injured, FIVE critically. Everyone else seems more worried about the inconveniences in service that has been caused.

WOW, it seems to say something about this forum when only Amamba has expressed any concern at all about the fact that at least 70 passengers were injured, FIVE critically. Everyone else seems more worried about the inconveniences in service that has been caused.
Do not judge this forum by a few posts. I am extremely concerned for all involved. I just didn't post as such. I have, however, been keeping tabs on this thread and various news sources.

Also, I saw quite a few posts expressing concern...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all I want to discuss is the technical aspects, I don't see what's wrong with that. That's the beauty of an online forum, you can discuss whatever aspect of a topic you wish. If you want to express sympathy and share those feelings with others, then by all means. I'll pay respect quietly in my heart and use my time here to discuss what matters to me.

UPDATE: AMTRAK SERVICE REMAINS SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY BETWEEN NEW YORK AND NEW HAVEN, CONN
by Amtrak (Notes) on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 10:26pm ET

Limited service available between Boston and New Haven, Conn.

Amtrak service continues to be suspended between New York and New Haven, Conn., following an incident involving Metro-North Railroad trains near Bridgeport, Conn. LimitedNortheast Regional service is available between Boston and New Haven, Conn.

Service will not operate between New York and New Haven, Conn., through Monday. There is no estimate on service restoration. A service update will be provided Sunday evening.

Amtrak service is operating as scheduled between New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC. Springfield Shuttle service between New Haven, Conn., and Springfield, Mass., is also operating as scheduled.

I had to call to cancel my points run as it was within 24 hours of my train, and to my surprise, there was barely any hold time. The phone agent was very helpful in cancelling my trip and giving me a full refund.

The cars have been removed and the scene will be turned over to MNR tonight so that the complete rebuilding of 2000 feet of track and catenary may begin.

MNR is running a shuttle bus and train system tomorrow, with the railroad open as far east as Westport and as far west as Bridgeport. Amtrak tickets will be cross-honored.

A report this morning said that a rail fractured causing the derailment and sideswipe. The NTSB has removed segment of the rail and sent to a lab for analysis. The report also said that no repairs or construction started and will not until NTSB releases the site from the investigators. The report implied about a week for service restoration.

UPDATE: AMTRAK SERVICE REMAINS SUSPENDED BETWEEN NEW YORK AND NEW HAVEN, CONN.

by Amtrak (Notes) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 6:09pm ET

Limited Amtrak service available between Boston and New Haven, Conn.

Amtrak service continues to be suspended between New York and New Haven, Conn., with limited Amtrak service available between Boston and New Haven, Conn.

Amtrak service is operating as scheduled between New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC.

Starting Monday, Metro-North Railroad will offer alternate transportation for passengers traveling between New Haven, Conn., and Grand Central Terminal via a train-bus-train connection. Amtrak passengers using this option will need to arrange for transportation between Grand Central and New York Penn Station. For information on Metro-North travel options, visit MTA.info.

Amtrak service between New Haven, Conn., and New York was suspended indefinitely following an incident involving Metro-North Railroad trains near Bridgeport, Conn., on Friday, May 17.

There is no estimate on service restoration. Additional service updates will be provided when available.

Connecticut Train Collision Exposes Cracks in the Northeast Corridor

Investigators are still poring over Friday’s train derailment and collision in Connecticut. Early reports point to damaged track as the cause of the crash that injured 70 people.

Photo: Christian Science Monitor
Meanwhile, Amtrak has said that the route connecting New York and Boston will be closed for several days while the investigation continues, and Metro-North says commuter rail service on the eastern end of the New Haven line will also be out of commission for much of this week. Alternate tracks are undergoing repairs, and that means the tens of thousands of people that rely on this rail line are in a tough position.

Bloggers... today said this incident exposes how fragile the Northeast Corridor, a system that serves hundreds of thousands of commuter trips every day and 12 million intercity Amtrak trips each year, really is. Cap’n Transit says “we can’t depend on the Northeast Corridor.”

This is only my guess:

The insulated joints of that location, on concrete ties, had worn down, resulting in heavy pounding of the ties below, which had begun to disintegrate. The forces of the passing train yesterday became "the straw that broke the camel's back" -- the joint broke apart, the train derailed and fouled track 2, after which the westbound struck it.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it….As to what may have caused the derailment/collision…
Your guess may turn out to be more right than you can imagine. Apprently last week those joints were replaced on that track, and apparently the failure is in the vicinity of those joints.
A report this morning said that a rail fractured causing the derailment and sideswipe. The NTSB has removed segment of the rail and sent to a lab for analysis. The report also said that no repairs or construction started and will not until NTSB releases the site from the investigators. The report implied about a week for service restoration.
Notwithstanding all that, NTSB released the site yesterday. many of the damaged cars were moved to New Haven yesterday, and work is continuing apace today at the accident site to repair the tracks. Photos of the work site are available on railroad.net Metro North board.Here are some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/sets/72157633537080338/with/8755508274/

Presumably the rest of the cars, which appear to be the ones on the train that did not originally derail, but derailed as a result of the crash, and are visible in one of the pictures, will be moved today, or may have already been moved.

UPDATE: AMTRAK SERVICE REMAINS SUSPENDED BETWEEN NEW YORK AND NEW HAVEN, CONN.
by Amtrak (Notes) on Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:30pm ET

Limited Amtrak service available between Boston and New Haven, Conn.
Amtrak service remains suspended Tuesday, May 21, between New York and New Haven, Conn., with limited Northeast Regional service available between Boston and New Haven, Conn. following an incident involving Metro-North Railroad trains near Bridgeport, Conn., on Friday, May 17.
Amtrak operations between New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC continue to operate normally.
Metro-North Railroad is offering alternate transportation for passengers traveling between New Haven, Conn., and Grand Central Terminal via a train-bus-train connection. Amtrak passengers using this option will need to arrange for transportation between Grand Central and New York Penn Station. For information on Metro-North travel options, visit MTA.info.
There is no estimate on service restoration. Additional service updates will be provided when available.
In addition, Amtrak’s Springfield Shuttle service between Springfield, MA and New Haven, Ct is cancelled tomorrow, May 20 and Wednesday, May 21, due to previously scheduled track work between Berlin, Ct and Springfield, MA. Limited alternate bus transportation will be provided.

Just shows AGAIN how the country is paying and will pay for deprioritizing infrastructure. Our paralyzed government will get nothing done. Bridges will continue to fall. And we'll all swallow hard as we wonder what in the infrastructure might fall apart on this trip! We live in a crazy society. Athletes spend 3/4 million on an engagement ring. But repairing a bridge is "oh, can we really afford it?"

And you reach this conclusion based on an accident that was most likely caused by the failure of a joint that was installed recently, in an area where two tracks are out of service because the infrastructure is literally being rebuilt ground up? Oooookayyyyy.

And you reach this conclusion based on an accident that was most likely cause by the failure of a joint that was installed recently, in an area where two tracks are out of service because the infrastructure is literally being rebuilt ground up? Oooookayyyyy.
And of course they had LOTS of money to insure it was done right? What do you base that on? Lots of crappy stuff built here in America. You know, lowest bid gets the contract?

Metro North and presumably Amtrak service through the derailment area is expected to be restored Wednesday morning.

See http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/20/extremely-challenging-work-week-begins-for-30k-metro-north-commuters/

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) – Metro-North officials announced Monday afternoon that normal service on the New Haven line is set to resume for the Wednesday morning commute.

“We are confident that the reconstruction work, inspection and testing will be completed in time for a normal rush hour on Wednesday,” said Metro-North President Howard Permut. “We are grateful for the tireless work of all departments and employees engaged in this huge task.”

More than 100 crew members have been working around the clock since Saturday night to quickly repair the damaged track and overhead power lines.

“We’ve actually made great progress in terms of the work that’s needed to restore the catenary wires, power, working on signals, and obviously the track that needs to be completely relaid,” MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz told CBS 2′s Tony Aiello earlier Monday.
Also see Metro North's announcement: http://new.mta.info/mta-metro-north-railroad-foresees-full-service-wednesday-morning

and here is what looks like the culprit:

MNRR-broke-rail.jpg

Just shows AGAIN how the country is paying and will pay for deprioritizing infrastructure. Our paralyzed government will get nothing done. Bridges will continue to fall. And we'll all swallow hard as we wonder what in the infrastructure might fall apart on this trip! We live in a crazy society. Athletes spend 3/4 million on an engagement ring. But repairing a bridge is "oh, can we really afford it?"
Here, have one of these:

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Ryan, yes, we shouldn't read too much into this one incident. But I don't think it's unreasonable to say that our rail infrastructure is fragile. Out here in the northwest, we've seen lots of issues with mudslides, floods, and capacity constraints that can't easily be resolved, because there are no alternative tracks in operation any more. And I suspect this will be a wake-up call for those politicians and members of the public who thought that the NEC didn't have similar problems (although we knew better).

Full Service to Resume Between Boston & New York on Wednesday

by Amtrak (Notes) on Monday, May 20, 2013 at 8:03pm ET

Amtrak will resume regularly scheduled service between Boston and New York on Wednesday, May 22.

Amtrak applauds the efforts of Metro-North Railroad to quickly repair the tracks and other critical infrastructure.

Back