Denver Union Station - overnight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am aware of the phenomenon, but it is usually limited to smaller operations that don't think clearly, or people who run businesses who are not really businessmen.

I'm not clear on where there is any news in my comments on this thread, fake or otherwise, and I certainly don't see any logical failures anywhere, perhaps excluding my continued exasperation at the tendency of people to act against their own self interest.

Actually, I don't post any kind of news on this site at all. Power comes from me knowing things you don't, and if I did have such knowledge (which is not me claiming to do so) I wouldn't share it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am aware of the phenomenon, but it is usually limited to smaller operations that don't think clearly, or people who run businesses who are not really businessmen.
I've seen multinational corporations do it. Frequently. It has to do with groupthink and imperviousness to evidence. It gives those businessmen who do think clearly a massive edge over the competition, so it's one of the things one can look for when looking for business or investing opportunities.

Neroden, that would be Denver Central La Quinta would it?

It would certainly do the job ok but found a Days Inn on East Colfax Avenue at about $10 per night more, but it has a No.15 bus which stops just about outside of the door and runs right into Union Station every 15 minutes 24/7 so may go for that?

Don't want to stir anything up with people here but took a look at Motel 6 too. The motel looked ok and we do like a bit of excitement so having agents pounding on the door in the middle of the night looking for aliens would make a good story, but the Industrial estate (that's a UK phrase not sure if it's the same) it's located on looked very bleak and we will be travelling with someone who doesn't quite have our sense of adventure.

The light rail system looks very good too, but why aren't there any hotels close enough to the stations that most people could walk to, not even further out by the airport.

Thanks again

I don't post any kind of news on this site at all.
Well you got me there.

The motel looked ok and we do like a bit of excitement so having agents pounding on the door in the middle of the night looking for aliens would make a good story, but the Industrial estate (that's a UK phrase not sure if it's the same) it's located on looked very bleak and we will be travelling with someone who doesn't quite have our sense of adventure.
LOL! :lol:

Here in the US "estate" tends to imply a larger house with surrounding leisure grounds and/or the various worldly possessions that will are left behind when someone passes away. So "industrial estate" doesn't have an obvious meaning to us. Industrial zone/area/district are all fairly common (if boring) terms for the same thing here in the US. I used to think "estate" was a bizarre term for a car until I considered how we ended up calling the same thing a "station wagon" over here.

The light rail system looks very good too, but why aren't there any hotels close enough to the stations that most people could walk to, not even further out by the airport.
Combination of reasons. For one thing light rail penetration and usage is a relatively new development. For the last several decades air and vehicular travel was far more important than passenger rail of any type. The people who own land and businesses in and around the light rail tracks probably aren't too concerned about what a pedestrian thinks about riding/walking to their establishment because it's not common enough for them to encounter on a regular basis. Keep in mind that you're coming to a nation that worships car ownership and asking why light rail isn't better implemented and coordinated. That's an easy question to answer but a hard problem to solve. Some cities are at least trying to move in that direction but it's still going to take some luck to build up enough momentum to really turn the tide.

Jamie;The Light Rail system is New and Lower downtown Denver around Union Station has been in a renissance after years of neglect and decay.

The Baseball Stadium, Coors Field, was the start and now that so many cafes,clubs,condos etc.are opening (and the renovation of Union Station has occured) this an upscale,area that cheap motels,and chains will avoid due to real estate costs.( Upscale Hotels,are another story,plenty of them including the one inside Union Station)

The Days Inn sounds perfect for your needs, I'd go with that!

Rails to Rooms shows plenty of light rail accessible hotel rooms. In addition, there are also lots of hotels along the US 26 corridor, served by the Flatiron Flyer BRT. The question is how much sleep is worth to you, to stay at a hotel further out in the suburbs. For me, it is worth a lot, but not necessarily right at the station, so on a future trip I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Denver, on the southeast corner of downtown (I have IHG points to burn).

It is possible to stay overnight at Denver Union Station as long as you are ticketed for the #5 the next morning. I did it myself a little over a year ago. It is not comfortable and there are rules explained to me by the pretty cool security officers: When the station closes for the night you are not allowed to sit on the comfortable couches or chairs and must move to the beautiful old wooden benches that belong to Amtrak. Further. you are not allowed to lay down to sleep but must remain sitting up while sleeping, You may go in or out of the station on the platform side if you want to smoke, get fresh air or walk to the nearby 7-11. The only nice thing about it was the sound system that played the best cool jazz I have ever heard all night long. It was an experience that I treasure but would not repeat. I gladly got on the 5 in the morning and slept all the way back to SLC.
I honestly can't tell if you are being sarcastic here lol.

Before the rebuilding of Union Station, it closed and locked down each night. Everyone had to leave, as there were no employees working overnite. Of course, when trains were seriously delayed, the station was kept open, until a reasonable amount of time after the last train departed...indeed, it did remain open all night on some such occasions.

If any passenger's had to make a bus connection, when the station was closing up, they were directed over to the bus terminal to wait, as it operated around the clock.

As for the above post...I can see them not wanting train passengers to sleep in their lobby, so it's likely that they will be 'ushered' over to the Amtrak benches at a certain hour...

Even in New York's Grand Central Terminal...everyone is ejected from 1:00 AM until 5:00 AM, when no trains are scheduled. The Grand Hyatt Hotel (former Commodore), is located at a corner of the Grand Central property, and even has an entrance within one of the Terminal's passageways. It has comfortable seating in its lobby, and those 'in the know' can wait there, just so long as you don't fall asleep...they will awaken you. Not sure if they will let you sit there all night, when the Terminal is closed...probably not.

Another example is the O'Hare Hilton, located in the middle of O'Hare Airport in Chicago....it also has comfortable seating, but I doubt you could spend the night...they'd probably direct you to the (connected) airport terminal building.

I also recall there being a hotel lobby right in the middle of the Detroit Airport....or at least there was one way back in 1968...haven't been back thru there since...

Wait, I thought that the train to the airport was full on heavy rail commuter rail?

I'd say industrial park would be the closest to an industrial estate in direct translation.

Wait, I thought that the train to the airport was full on heavy rail commuter rail?

I'd say industrial park would be the closest to an industrial estate in direct translation.
It is heavy rail. However, the vast majority of the RTD rail system is light rail at the moment. Other than the airport line, the only heavy rail line is a shuttle to Westminster. The next commuter rail line is scheduled to open in the winter and actually parallels the CZ for most of its route into the western suburbs of Denver.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

It is heavy rail. However, the vast majority of the RTD rail system is light rail at the moment. Other than the airport line, the only heavy rail line is a shuttle to Westminster. The next commuter rail line is scheduled to open in the winter and actually parallels the CZ for most of its route into the western suburbs of Denver.
Heavy rail is full-on subway/elevated service, such as the CTA, New York Subway or Washington Metro. Commuter rail is Metra, Metralink, MetroNorth. The Denver A Line is commuter rail.

Neroden, that would be Denver Central La Quinta would it?
Yes -- I've stayed there. The walk is a bit *weird* because of the huge bridges over the railroad track, but perfectly safe. And if you like watching trains it's even more entertaining -- you also get a great view of the under-construction North Metro Rail line, the BNSF yard, the UP yard, etc.

It would certainly do the job ok but found a Days Inn on East Colfax Avenue at about $10 per night more, but it has a No.15 bus which stops just about outside of the door and runs right into Union Station every 15 minutes 24/7 so may go for that?
I'm sure that's fine too. I usually try not to depend on local buses because they are often as unreliable as Amtrak, but you seem more comfortable with buses, so have fun.

Heavy rail is full-on subway/elevated service, such as the CTA, New York Subway or Washington Metro. Commuter rail is Metra, Metralink, MetroNorth. The Denver A Line is commuter rail.
I know it is commuter rail, but I have heard the term heavy rail applied to commuter rail in addition to rapid transit. After doing some research, it appears the British term heavy rail applies to even high speed trains, whereas it is typically used to refer to only rapid transit in the United States. Either way, we both know it is a commuter rail line and not rapid transit.

I haven't lived in the Denver area since 1989, but I recall the Days Inn on East Colfax as being in the 'Capitol Hill' neighborhood'; and the LaQuinta Central as being in the 'Globeville' neighborhood....neither of which were what you might call 'fashionable'.....that might have changed, as the city certainly has since then....

I know it is commuter rail, but I have heard the term heavy rail applied to commuter rail in addition to rapid transit. After doing some research, it appears the British term heavy rail applies to even high speed trains, whereas it is typically used to refer to only rapid transit in the United States. Either way, we both know it is a commuter rail line and not rapid transit.
I've always thought of "heavy rail" as anything that accesses the standard, networked rail infrastructure, including Amtrak, freight, tourist. I would think of it as mostly operating with heavy locomotives and pulling trainsets. Even some operating on dedicated lines might be considered heavy rail.

Caltrain is a commuter rail system, but they refer to their current equipment as "heavy rail cars".

The decision is made, we're not sleeping or trying to at Denver Union Station. It sounds like a mental trial of strength to sit upright all night on a hard bench and not look like you are sleeping. It would probably make for a good test on a tv game show but not for us.

We've cut out the Galesburg and the Raton routes although they were both worthy, and gone for the third option of a Greyhound direct from Kansas City to Denver. It allows us a little breathing space and for Rosie to take a first look at Denver. Any suggestions for an afternoon and evening? and do see there is an antique theatre opposite the hotel if they have something playing that evening.

For lodgings we've gone with the Days Inn Downtown, on Colfax. Convenient for that part of the city, lots and lots of public transport to and from where we want to go, and price for a major city is pretty good too.

Thanks for all the info and entertainment

The decision is made, we're not sleeping or trying to at Denver Union Station. It sounds like a mental trial of strength to sit upright all night on a hard bench and not look like you are sleeping. It would probably make for a good test on a tv game show but not for us.

We've cut out the Galesburg and the Raton routes although they were both worthy, and gone for the third option of a Greyhound direct from Kansas City to Denver. It allows us a little breathing space and for Rosie to take a first look at Denver. Any suggestions for an afternoon and evening? and do see there is an antique theatre opposite the hotel if they have something playing that evening.

For lodgings we've gone with the Days Inn Downtown, on Colfax. Convenient for that part of the city, lots and lots of public transport to and from where we want to go, and price for a major city is pretty good too.

Thanks for all the info and entertainment
Looks like you're a 10 min walk from here. I did the tour last fall when I was there for the gathering.

https://mollybrown.org/

and what did you think of it? Sounds promising though
I found it interesting. But note that I usually don't get engrossed in museums. I tend to take quick look at things and keep moving. Plus, my hearing was at it's low point last year (got a cochlear implant in Jan 2017), so probably didn't hear/listen to too much of what was being said. I was more interested in seeing the house as I love old houses. And it was something to do to kill time before meeting up with fellow AUers.

On the way to Union Station after visiting the Molly Brown house, I stopped at Larimer Square - a block of Old Denver buildings. They were shops and restaurants. I stopped in this one as it looked interesting and it was, though, again, it was just a quick walk through (I'm such a boring person :D )

https://www.larimersquare.com/tenant/the-market/

The Forney Transportation Museum is really quite excellent if you like museums of historic trains, streetcars, automobiles, and bicycles.

Back