Denver to Salt Lake City for Newbie Floridians

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having grown up in Florida, land of no hills aside from a couple of pot holes, I was considering the CZ from Denver to Salt Lake City in February. My 10 yr old son wants to learn to snow board. My husband grew up in Iowa and Minnesota so no worries there. I want to see mountains with beautiful scenery. The trip is quite short, but its in the daytime mostly. Is this a good one to choose or are there any other suggestions? Thanks for not snickering at my silly question! (Second week of February is the only time we would be able to make this trip).

Having grown up in Florida, land of no hills aside from a couple of pot holes, I was considering the CZ from Denver to Salt Lake City in February. My 10 yr old son wants to learn to snow board. My husband grew up in Iowa and Minnesota so no worries there. I want to see mountains with beautiful scenery. The trip is quite short, but its in the daytime mostly. Is this a good one to choose or are there any other suggestions? Thanks for not snickering at my silly question! (Second week of February is the only time we would be able to make this trip).
This is perhaps the best choice for mountain viewing.

My 10 yr old son wants to learn to snow board.
One always want's things one can't get easily. :rolleyes:

For mountain viewing Denver-Salt Lake City is exactly the route to take, some canyon viewing is also included.

During the winter there can be delays if there is some major blizzards in the mountains. Please don't plan your trip where you have to be somewhere the second you arrive into SLC. If you are looking at your watch the whole time, you'll miss the mountains! :rolleyes:

About the only thing that could make a Denver-Salt Lake City trip better for mountain scenery would be if you stayed on the train all the way to Sacramento, CA and got to ride over the Sierra Nevada mountains too!

About the only thing that could make a Denver-Salt Lake City trip better for mountain scenery would be if you stayed on the train all the way to Sacramento, CA and got to ride over the Sierra Nevada mountains too!
And be sure to take it back From SLC to DEN to see the western portion of the route in daylight. It gets dark early in February....

Sounds like a great trip. Be aware that the CZ (if it arrives on time) gets into SLC just a bit before 11:00pm.

I know they used to have snowboarding at Brighton. Your son should be able to rent equipment & probably get lessons, too.

Click here for more info. Make sure you pack for cold, snowy weather!!

I'm from Palm Harbor, Florida & will be leaving Denver on the CZ Feb 10th. Hope to see ya!

RF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back