Delays on 22 in Texas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russianrail

Train Attendant
Over the past week or so, #22 has been consistently late from the beginning of the trip and is often well over an hour late by Austin or Temple. Is there anything going on?

Over the past week or so, #22 has been consistently late from the beginning of the trip and is often well over an hour late by Austin or Temple. Is there anything going on?
It might have to do with the Chi-STL detours for trackwork...
22 is the northbound train. He is saying that it's late from the start. So probably not trackwork.

With the Economy picking up, UP is running Longer and more frequent freights including Loooooong Coal Trains for San Antonio CPS!! Some days the Eagles will sit within walking distance from the Austin Station (San Marcos and Taylor are also Choke Points) while as many as three freights are chugging by! :rolleyes: Downtown Austin is all Single track on the old MOPAC line so UP Dispatchers usually put Amtrak on the siding and Highball the freights! The Conductors on the Eagles often make announcments about the delays being caused by UP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, there are extreme delays for the CZ, now the eastbound CZ has an OTP of only 35%. This has also been attributed to coal trains.

It might have to do with the Chi-STL detours for trackwork...
22 is the northbound train. He is saying that it's late from the start. So probably not trackwork.
Thanks for the catch...I was rushing to read and didn't think straight...

With the Economy picking up, UP is running Longer and more frequent freights including Loooooong Coal Trains for San Antonio CPS!! Some days the Eagles will sit within walking distance from the Austin Station (San Marcos and Taylor are also Choke Points) while as many as three freights are chugging by! :rolleyes: Downtown Austin is all Single track on the old MOPAC line so UP Dispatchers usually put Amtrak on the siding and Highball the freights! The Conductors on the Eagles often make announcments about the delays being caused by UP!!!
Is there room for the train to sit at the station while the freights go by?

Is there room for the train to sit at the station while the freights go by?
No, there is only the main track plus an old side track which is in very bad condition.

There is a plan to build a freight bypass which would skip San Antonio and Austin. It would go form Seguin to Taylor. Of course if this is built there is a plan to run a commuter train between Austin anf San Antonio.

Traveling that way in June, so I guess I just need to expect to sit and wait. Many thanks to all for the information.

Traveling that way in June, so I guess I just need to expect to sit and wait. Many thanks to all for the information.
I gotta get the 21 to do this on Tuesday so I have a shorter layover in SAS, but alas, at her current rate I'll have a 10.5 hour layover instead of just a 9. :help:

There is a plan to build a freight bypass which would skip San Antonio and Austin. It would go form Seguin to Taylor. Of course if this is built there is a plan to run a commuter train between Austin anf San Antonio.
Let's just say, don't hold your breath. This plan has been kicked around for quite a few years. The commuter, more aptly TriRail type interurban, service is sorely needed and would have good ridership, but like any other rail project, there is no normal funding process like their is for road and air projects. Thus it has become another political football with all real transportation issues lost in the noise.

on the outskirts of saint louis we sat on the eagle for 30 minites waiting on a fraight train to go by before comeing into the station wedsday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back