Delays in the West/NW

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Notice that #11 and #14 are running really late in N. Cal, also the EBs are pretty late, is the winter storm heading towards the Mid-West and down our way affecting these trains, so far the CZ and SWC look OK but theyd be affected to if this is the case no? :eek: Guess those connecting to #28/#8 in SPK tonight got the old bustitution which always sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice that #11 and #14 are running really late in N. Cal, also the EBs are pretty late, is the winter storm heading towards the Mid-West and down our way affecting these trains, so far the CZ and SWC look OK but theyd be affected to if this is the case no? :eek: Guess those connecting to #28/#8 in SPK tonight got the old bustitution which always sucks!
I heard that the #7 that left Chicago yesterday was stuck for 5 hours at the Staples station this morning because of some mechanical problem. It hasn't started to really snow here in St. Paul, so I'm hoping that we'll get out on today's #7 before the stuff really starts.

I noticed that the #7 is only running 6 minutes behind after leaving Chicago. So far so good for an 'on time' departure tonight from MSP.

The problem on Coast Starlight was between Dunsmuir and Redding. #11 lost 8 hrs and #14 lost 6 hours. What the heck happened? It was nice to be able to see #11 come through Chico in the daylight, though.

The problem on Coast Starlight was between Dunsmuir and Redding. #11 lost 8 hrs and #14 lost 6 hours. What the heck happened? It was nice to be able to see #11 come through Chico in the daylight, though.
I'd very much like to know what went on - I'm boarding #14 at Salinas this evening for a trip to Olympia. There's been clear weather in Northern California the last couple of days, so something unusual must have happened.

On a different train fan web site, it is reported that #11 hit a tree (presumably, a fallen tree) north of Redding, and that the tree wedged between the loco and the side of an embankment. It is reported that the loco of #11 was damaged and needed to be replaced and #14 was held at Redding until the incident scene was cleaned up.

EDIT: montereyan posted while I was typing.

Wow. What are the odds of that? Does that happen on the Coast Starlight route often?

I read the link-the Silvers-Solarium & Lariat- are on the end of the late #11.

Would love to get an up close look of those!

It also mentions possible bustitutions/ layovers at Amtrak's expense in SAC.

Given that the track is pretty close to I-5 between Dunsmuir and Redding, I'm surprised they didn't attempt to arrange a "bustitution." Maybe it would have been more trouble than it was worth, though, given the time of the accident.

Coast Starlight #11 is expected into LAX at 5:41 am tomorrow (scheduled for 9:00 pm tonight, i.e., about now as I type this). Will there be enough time to get the train ready for its n/b trip as #14 tomorrow?

According to Amtrak, #11 limped into LAX at 6:05 am today, "only" 9:05 late.

Apparently it was not too late to turn the train around for #14's 10:15 am departure today—unless a different train was used.

Oklahoma just got blasted by the worst 1 day snow/ice storm in state history and I will really be surprised if the Heartland Flyer makes its northbound run tonight. And no Bustitutuion as I-35 is closed until further notice. Also look for the Texas Eagle to be seriously delayed as the storm is intensifying and tracking right along its route.

Oklahoma just got blasted by the worst 1 day snow/ice storm in state history and I will really be surprised if the Heartland Flyer makes its northbound run tonight. And no Bustitutuion as I-35 is closed until further notice. Also look for the Texas Eagle to be seriously delayed as the storm is intensifying and tracking right along its route.
Aloha

Our local "News" reported you had "30 to 40 feet of snow" :lol:

Aloha

Our local "News" reported you had "30 to 40 feet of snow" :lol:
While it seems like that much, the official drop is 14.1" a single day record for here. I had my scanner going off and on and could pick up BNSF signal and track crews struggling just to get to where work needed to be done. The Defect Detector I normally pick up never sounded today, likely from being covered with snow and/or lack of trains.

HF #822 left FTW @ 5:30 pm (5 min late) and arrived in OKC @ 12:39 am (3 hr late).

No travel is advised in the eastern half of North Dakota, and all of Minnesota's road conditions are marked "difficult." I-29 is closed from the Canadian border to the Iowa border. There are blizzard warnings for the whole area, with warnings of blowing and drifting snow and frequent whiteouts. And the Empire Builder? It keeps soldiering on. It's an hour late heading west, two hours heading east.

When #7 arrived in Minot yesterday (90 minutes or so late), the cars were covered with ice, and it took 15-20 minutes of hammering and crowbarring to get the frozen baggage car door open. The minute baggage was finally transferred the conductor gave the all-aboard. The train from St. Paul was packed, with almost a full coach devoted to Minot passengers alone. Despite the weather the cars were warm and the diner busy. The lounge car still has two attendants.

Mrs. Ispolkom and I are walking the mile to church this morning, since it seems a lot less trouble than digging a car out and navigating the snow-choked roads, even in town. After all, the windchill isn't more than -10. And really, there's no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing choices.

Abd what's a little snow on Christmas Day? Happy holidays to all!

HF #822 left FTW @ 5:30 pm (5 min late) and arrived in OKC @ 12:39 am (3 hr late).
It looks like the 821 southbound got off from OKC a little over an hour late and likely will lose time as she treks south. But it would be worth the price of admission to be relaxing in one of her Coaches with a Bagel and Breakfast Sandwich in hand surveying the result of this major storm. All this while folks stranded at airports wonder how many days before they get out.

But after having just finished digging out the truck, I need a drink :)

No travel is advised in the eastern half of North Dakota, and all of Minnesota's road conditions are marked "difficult." I-29 is closed from the Canadian border to the Iowa border. There are blizzard warnings for the whole area, with warnings of blowing and drifting snow and frequent whiteouts. And the Empire Builder? It keeps soldiering on. It's an hour late heading west, two hours heading east.
When #7 arrived in Minot yesterday (90 minutes or so late), the cars were covered with ice, and it took 15-20 minutes of hammering and crowbarring to get the frozen baggage car door open. The minute baggage was finally transferred the conductor gave the all-aboard. The train from St. Paul was packed, with almost a full coach devoted to Minot passengers alone. Despite the weather the cars were warm and the diner busy. The lounge car still has two attendants.

Mrs. Ispolkom and I are walking the mile to church this morning, since it seems a lot less trouble than digging a car out and navigating the snow-choked roads, even in town. After all, the windchill isn't more than -10. And really, there's no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing choices.

Abd what's a little snow on Christmas Day? Happy holidays to all!
I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB and lived in the City of Grand Forks from 1972 to 1975. The Empire Builder always ran. We also had the choice of the North Coast Hiawatha 3 days a week from Fargo east or west. The blizzards didn't bother the GN/NP railroaders. The trains were always nice and warm and that was before HEP....the train included a steam gererator car in the winter. Sometimes flights would be cancelled and Greyhound wouldn't run on the worst days, but the trains were always there.

I remember an ice storm (I think in '78 or '79) when Cascade Locks, OR, in the Columbia Gorge, was completely shut off from the outside world except for The Pioneer, which was able to bring in a few supplies and people from Portland and elsewhere. Now that The Pioneer is no more, I don't know what will happen to Cascade Locks and a few other places in the Gorge if there is another ice storm (and sooner or later, there will be).

It looks like the 821 southbound got off from OKC a little over an hour late and likely will lose time as she treks south. But it would be worth the price of admission to be relaxing in one of her Coaches with a Bagel and Breakfast Sandwich in hand surveying the result of this major storm. All this while folks stranded at airports wonder how many days before they get out.

But after having just finished digging out the truck, I need a drink :)
As of 6:23 pm CST, today's northbound HF #822 had left FTW @ 5:26 pm (1 min late) and was expected into OKC @ 9:13 pm (26 min early).

According to the Amtrak Train Status page, HF #822 arrived today in OKC @ 9:13 pm, as expected.

I wonder how accurate the Status page really is, given that it's unlikely a train would arrive exactly 26 min early as predicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back