CZ Update

• Thread starter Guest_wendymarie37_*
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BNSF website now indicates that service has been restored through Burlington on their Chicago-Denver route. This should be CZ's route, so it looks like the trackage is now open. So presumably CZ service should start up again once trainsets are properly positioned.

============================================================================

To: All BNSF Customers

07/03/2008

Flood Update - A message to BNSF customers about the effects of Midwest flooding on BNSF

To our valued customers:

All of BNSF’s crossings of the Mississippi River are now open, as crews completed work late yesterday to re-open trackage just east of Burlington, Iowa. Trains between Chicago and Denver immediately began operating via our main line across southern Iowa, and the last of the trains detoured around the Burlington area are completing their runs today.

As those trains return to their regular routes, train flows on our Chicago-Kansas City main lines – one via Fort Madison, Iowa, the other via Quincy, Ill. – are returning to normal. We continue to work through the backlog of east-west shipments that developed during the flooding, but we expect to make good headway on that process during the upcoming holiday weekend.

Trackage along the west bank of the Mississippi between Burlington and Quincy and between Quincy and St. Louis, and between St. Louis and Memphis, remains out of service. The river is dropping north of St. Louis, and is expected to crest south of St. Louis over this coming weekend. As work is completed on the main lines that cross the Mississippi, crews are poised to begin work on the west-bank lines as soon as the waters recede.

Although the flooding and the resulting re-routes continue to affect the overall velocity of our network, we expect velocity to improve in coming days as trains are able to resume normal speeds over their normal routes as rebuilt track structure settles into place.

We appreciate your patience, and your many words of thanks for the extraordinary efforts our people have made to restore flood-damaged track to service. And as always, we appreciate your business. Please contact your BNSF representative if you have questions.

John Lanigan

Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer

======================================================================

From the Amtrak Website:July 2, 2008

3:00 p.m. CDT

Normal service has now resumed on two of three Amtrak routes between the West Coast and Chicago that were disrupted by flooding in the Midwest.

Although the Amtrak Empire Builder and Amtrak Southwest Chief are again operating on their routes in Wisconsin, Missouri and Iowa, service is still disrupted on the route of the Amtrak California Zephyr owned, maintained and dispatched by BNSF Railway in Iowa.

Through July 5, passengers are urged to call Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL if they have travel plans through the affected areas of the San Francisco Bay-Chicago route of the California Zephyr.

Those passengers with telephone contact information in their reservations are being called by Amtrak and offered options including future travel dates, if needed.

I'm still hopeful for next weekend!

Wendy

From the Amtrak Website:July 2, 2008

3:00 p.m. CDT

Normal service has now resumed on two of three Amtrak routes between the West Coast and Chicago that were disrupted by flooding in the Midwest.

Although the Amtrak Empire Builder and Amtrak Southwest Chief are again operating on their routes in Wisconsin, Missouri and Iowa, service is still disrupted on the route of the Amtrak California Zephyr owned, maintained and dispatched by BNSF Railway in Iowa.

Through July 5, passengers are urged to call Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL if they have travel plans through the affected areas of the San Francisco Bay-Chicago route of the California Zephyr.

Those passengers with telephone contact information in their reservations are being called by Amtrak and offered options including future travel dates, if needed.

I'm still hopeful for next weekend!

Wendy
Hey Wendy,

If you're still reading this, I'm on the CZ on this coming Monday, and Amtrak just told me not to worry, I should be OK for then. So if I'm OK on the 7th, your oughta be OK on the 13th. Good luck!

I'm still hopeful for next weekend!Wendy
Hey Wendy,

If you're still reading this, I'm on the CZ on this coming Monday, and Amtrak just told me not to worry, I should be OK for then. So if I'm OK on the 7th, your oughta be OK on the 13th. Good luck!

Jim!

So nice of you to share your update! I'm excited to think that it may all go off as planned. I haven't packed a thing. I better get out of denial and into packing mode.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
The california zephyr service should resume July 5th (as reported in the chicago tribune) so your trip should be fine.

The california zephyr service should resume July 5th (as reported in the chicago tribune) so your trip should be fine.
Well as I write this I'm currently on the westbound Capitol Limited with Al (RailRookie), Brenda (HuskerMom), and her two daughters. After much juggling of reservations they are ticketed for today's CZ. So we'll know for sure in just about 4 hours or so when they try to board the CZ to LNK.

I'll post an update later today from the Metro lounge in CHI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as I write this I'm currently on the westbound Capitol Limited with Al (RailRookie), Brenda (HuskerMom), and her two daughters. After much juggling of reservations they are ticketed for today's CZ. So we'll know for sure in just about 4 hours or so when they try to board the CZ to LNK.

I'll post an update later today from the Metro lounge in CHI.
Congrats,

That's great.

Happy Trails!

:)

And Al, Brenda, and the girls just left the Met Lounge for their train. Hopefully there won't be too many delays due to the repairs and delayed freights, but they are at least currently boarding the first westbound CZ to leave Chicaog in close to three weeks now.

And Al, Brenda, and the girls just left the Met Lounge for their train. Hopefully there won't be too many delays due to the repairs and delayed freights, but they are at least currently boarding the first westbound CZ to leave Chicaog in close to three weeks now.
Isn't that fabulous? I wonder if he KISSED the train! :eek: But seriously talk about relief after so many hassles with this trip that they were all looking forward to so much. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Isn't that fabulous? I wonder if he KISSED the train! :eek: But seriously talk about relief after so many hassles with this trip that they were all looking forward to so much. Can't wait to hear all about it.
It really is fabulous for them, as they get to go home to their own beds tonight, albeit late tonight. Some would even say tomorrow morning, very early tomorrow morning. Had it not restarted today it would have meant spending the night in Kansas City instead, another hotel room, and renting a car to get home.

So this was quite clearly a blessing for them after their long and interesting trip/vacation.

Our trip was a rollercoaster of emotions and piles of reservations on trains, planes, rental cars added hotels etc. We only ended up changing the first leg of our trip. We took the SWC into CUS. BUT....it was 30 minutes past when the LSL "usually" leaves. To our benefit (and others) the LSL was held and we were on our way to NYC!!!!! We had to rent a car from LNK-KCY. When we arrived in the ONLY hotel room KCY could offer us, it had 1 queen bed for 4 people. My girlfriends daughters graciously (and I mean that) took the floor. "We sleep on the floor at home in front of the tv" was one comment heard. We had to have plane tickets in case the SWC wasn't running (both ways) and we had to have hotels in KCY if we were ticketed for the SWC and we had to have rental cars in KCY (both ways) as well. At CUS yesterday when we were in line for the first CZ run in 3 weeks, I cancelled the Avis Rental car in KCY (they transferred me to Wyndam Hotels another curveball...why did I get Wyndam Hotels when I called Avis Car Rental?) cancelled the Hilton in KCY and cancelled the Southwest Airlines refundable tickets we bought "just in case".

The CZ was more than a delight. We all high fived when we were in the Metropolitan Lounge. Literally the CZ drops us off 30 feet from our car in LNK.

Was absolutely speechless when we saw the flooding. Its not the Mississippi River but Mississippi Lake. The whole train got so quiet. I was bouncing back and forth from unoccupied roomettes trying to get pictures from both sides. Water 6 feet high up to houses. I honestly don't know how they will get rid of this much water. I will try and figure out a way to send the pics to Alan B or MrFSS so they can be posted. I am computer illiterate.

Our trip was a rollercoaster of emotions and piles of reservations on trains, planes, rental cars added hotels etc. We only ended up changing the first leg of our trip. We took the SWC into CUS. BUT....it was 30 minutes past when the LSL "usually" leaves. To our benefit (and others) the LSL was held and we were on our way to NYC!!!!! We had to rent a car from LNK-KCY. When we arrived in the ONLY hotel room KCY could offer us, it had 1 queen bed for 4 people. My girlfriends daughters graciously (and I mean that) took the floor. "We sleep on the floor at home in front of the tv" was one comment heard. We had to have plane tickets in case the SWC wasn't running (both ways) and we had to have hotels in KCY if we were ticketed for the SWC and we had to have rental cars in KCY (both ways) as well. At CUS yesterday when we were in line for the first CZ run in 3 weeks, I cancelled the Avis Rental car in KCY (they transferred me to Wyndam Hotels another curveball...why did I get Wyndam Hotels when I called Avis Car Rental?) cancelled the Hilton in KCY and cancelled the Southwest Airlines refundable tickets we bought "just in case".
The CZ was more than a delight. We all high fived when we were in the Metropolitan Lounge. Literally the CZ drops us off 30 feet from our car in LNK.

Was absolutely speechless when we saw the flooding. Its not the Mississippi River but Mississippi Lake. The whole train got so quiet. I was bouncing back and forth from unoccupied roomettes trying to get pictures from both sides. Water 6 feet high up to houses. I honestly don't know how they will get rid of this much water. I will try and figure out a way to send the pics to Alan B or MrFSS so they can be posted. I am computer illiterate.
Al - I'd be glad to do them for you send them when you can. Assume you still have my mailing address. Or, did you break down and get a digital camera?

Tom

I'm so glad that the return trip went well and that you didn't have to use all those backup reservations. Whew! And your description of the flooding - I have read a fair amount about the flooding but not so much recently, and I appreciate your impressions and description, it sounds kind of scary. The sad thing is that is such a nice part of the country, when I saw the residential streets of Cedar Rapids in videos and news shots I was homesick for the midwest, those are nice neighborhoods in those towns with the porches and the tree lined streets. I wonder what the future holds for all those great old houses?

Well they got the rails sorted that's a start I guess. It's wonderful how they got it together just in time for you and yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back