CZ tomorrow June12 CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkaemena

Lead Service Attendant
Tomorrow I will board the first time an Amtrak LD. CZ from CHI to EMY

Thanks to all the guys here in that list, I learned a lot in the last months and I think I am prepared... (duct tape, ear plugs, etc)

If by any chance somebody of this list will be at/on the train along the way, please let me know.

I am in Car 531 Roomette 13

In order to identify me, here my "Warrant of apprehension"

One of my pastime will be to shoot and prepare a virtual tour (QTVR) onboard a superliner.

The QTVR provided on the Amtrak site were not very " conclusive" and the new Flash tour for sure was expensive, but not to my taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow I will board the first time an Amtrak LD. CZ from CHI to EMY
Thanks to all the guys here in that list, I learned a lot in the last months and I think I am prepared... (duct tape, ear plugs, etc)

If by any chance somebody of this list will be at/on the train along the way, please let me know.

I am in Car 531 Roomette 13

In order to identify me, here my "Warrant of apprehension"

One of my pastime will be to shoot and prepare a virtual tour (QTVR) onboard a superliner.

The QTVR provided on the Amtrak site were not very " conclusive" and the new Flash tour for sure was expensive, but not to my taste.
I just arrived in Emeryville...with >6h delays due to UP....

I will make some comments about my first LD trip tomorrow. BUT as promised here some impressions out of the CZ, more to follow

Roomette

Sightseer Lounge

Entrance Hall of Superliner Sleeper

Superliner CZ

Sleeper Upper Hall

Coach

Sightseer Lounge

Looks like the sleepers were on the rear, huh?

We are on the eastbound CZ in a couple of weeks, hopefully we will get them on the rear as well. Not becuase I think it is better, but because I have never done it before and would like to compare.

Great pics!

Sightseer LoungeIs that the camera in the picture, the silver globe? I assume it is taking a 360 degree picture in one shot rather than panning around 360???

Nice pictures!
It is indeed. Here's an example of one type of rig. Apple used to plug them a great deal as part of QuickTime's VR capability, but the pages seem to be lost at the moment with the reshuffling of Apple's website.

I like the pictures also. :) Why couldn't Amtrak find the crapping money in the marketing budget for your type of rig? Gotta bookmark the Superliner roomette VR to show people what one looks like.

<sigh>

Sightseer Lounge

Is that the camera in the picture, the silver globe? I assume it is taking a 360 degree picture in one shot rather than panning around 360???

Nice pictures!
It is indeed. Here's an example of one type of rig. Apple used to plug them a great deal as part of QuickTime's VR capability, but the pages seem to be lost at the moment with the reshuffling of Apple's website.

<sigh>
No my dear friend IT IS NOT a mirrorball cam.... I am short of time in the moment but will come with the solution of that riddle soon

No my dear friend IT IS NOT a mirrorball cam.... I am short of time in the moment but will come with the solution of that riddle soon
Okay, no biggie. Pardon my while I stand around with my foot firmly in mouth. :eek:

You do have a couple other ones on your site with a mirrorball, though, including this one of Bremen's Obernstrasse during the Christmas season.

Okay, no biggie. Pardon my while I stand around with my foot firmly in mouth. :eek:

You do have a couple other ones on your site with a mirrorball, though, including this one of Bremen's Obernstrasse during the Christmas season.
I am still short of time BUT have a look at this..... and look into the mirror... is there a mirrorball??

well and now I am hungry again seeing this.....

I am still short of time BUT have a look at this..... and look into the mirror... is there a mirrorball??

well and now I am hungry again seeing this.....
here one more of my interactive pictures showing the hallway on the lower level with the roomettes

I never saw an answer here as to what equipment you used for these shots. As well as what the mirrored ball is you are holding in some of the shots.

I never saw an answer here as to what equipment you used for these shots. As well as what the mirrored ball is you are holding in some of the shots.
I use a Nikon D200 for these shots, which is mounted on a monopod. The mirrored ball is made in Photoshop.

I use a Nikon D200 for these shots, which is mounted on a monopod. The mirrored ball is made in Photoshop.
Cool. Now the question is "Why add the mirror ball?"
Answer: first to confuse you... to make you believe the mirrorball has something to do how the photo was taken ( which many people believe...)

If I make these photos where I am sitting in the photo myself I have to hold the cam and rotate the cam in 4 positions in front of me, which will make my hands in the lower center of the panorama kind of krippled... therefore I either put a kind of "plate" for some information with text, or the mentioned imaginary mirrorball.

I still don't get it on how it works.

So, you're making several shots around the room from "fixed" stand such as tripod, to create a panaromic view. After downloading into PhotoShop, you simply making photo shots together to make a "seamless" panaroma that we see on the internet. Am I right?

I still don't get it on how it works.
So, you're making several shots around the room from "fixed" stand such as tripod, to create a panaromic view. After downloading into PhotoShop, you simply making photo shots together to make a "seamless" panaroma that we see on the internet. Am I right?

Well..... not really... its no that easy but als not that complicated. Maybe you should visit this site for more information about it.

Or enjoy these panoramic views from all over the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back