Cross country Q & A

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

New here to the forum... been an amtrak/ train traveler for since the early 90's when stationed in NYC traveling to Boston on weekend. Been on lots of the MBTA "T" in and around Boston....

Well been working hard on my "bucket list" I want to complete a cross country trip. I'm only going to travel 1 way.... and alone...

questions

East to West or West to East.... which is best and why...

My start would be Boston final destination is Portland, OR any thoughts to route?

Date of travel is Jan to early April is there a best time to travel and save a few bucks... Like a better day of the week?

I'm completely open to all suggestions. I have 7 days to complete the trip. I welcome all comments and suggestions.... Please send me a link if this has been discussed...

Thanks much

Thats how I've done it, my last couple of vacations, and they turned out alot better than training to my destination. Also, I find that compromising this way, you dont have to worry about losing a room, or show tickets, etc., that u may have pre-booked.

Hi,

New here to the forum... been an amtrak/ train traveler for since the early 90's when stationed in NYC traveling to Boston on weekend. Been on lots of the MBTA "T" in and around Boston....

Well been working hard on my "bucket list" I want to complete a cross country trip. I'm only going to travel 1 way.... and alone... questions East to West or West to East.... which is best and why... My start would be Boston final destination is Portland, OR any thoughts to route? Date of travel is Jan to early April is there a best time to travel and save a few buck... Like a better day of the week? Thanks much
Personal Opinions: Fly West, Train-It home. IF you have the time, go Portland to Seattle, overnight in Seattle. Then take the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago. From there you CAN make a connection to the Lake Shore Limited, directly to Boston, but I'd suggest a night in the Windy.

Conversely, you could go south, and then east on three different routes.

1) Coast Starlight down to Oakland (Emeryville) then catch the Zephyr east to Chi, then either the Cardinal, (regional or Acela up to Beantown from NY) Cap Limited, (regional or Acela up to Beantown from DC) or Lake Shore back to Beantown

2) Coast Starlight down to LA, overnight in LA, then catch the SW Chief to Chicago, then either the Cardinal, (regional or Acela up to Beantown from NY) Cap Limited, (regional or Acela up to Beantown from DC) or Lake Shore back to Beantown, or.............

3) The Texas Eagle to Chicago, then either the Cardinal, (regional or Acela up to Beantown from NY) Cap Limited, (regional or Acela up to Beantown from DC) or Lake Shore back to Beantown. or.........

4) The Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited (Same train as far as San Antonio going east) then stay on to New Orleans. Overnight in the Big Easy, then catch the Crescent to NYC, then hop a regional or Acela to Beantown.

You gotta lotta choices! Others will post even more, I'm sure.

I tend to agree with taking the train eastbound. My thought is that the Empire Builder would provide better scenery eastbound through western Montana and Glacier Park and also the Lakeshore would be in daylight along the Erie Canal.

I'm going to disagree on the direction and the order of your flight/train segments.

My motto is Follow the Sun, hence I'd take the train from Boston to Portland ensuring longer days to see more scenery. Since you only have 7 days Id suggest taking the Lake Shore Ltd. from Boston to Chicago. Then take the California Zephyr from Chicago to Sacramento, this gives you two nights on the train with the best scenery in the US. When you get to Sacramento you will have a long enough layover to visit the excellent California Rail Museum, get in a little exercise/break from being on the train. That night about midnight you will board the Coast Starlight to Portland overnight, when you awake you will be in the Cascades with Mt. Shasta for a backdrop, more beuatiful Mountain scenery.

Spend a night in Beautiful Portland, then catch the Talgo (Cascade train)to Seattle, which gives you this route in daylight, spend the night or two in Seattle, plenty to see/do, then fly home to Boston ensuring you will arrive home fairly rested since the flight is only a few hours even if the flying experience does suck unless you are going First Class on an International Flight! April is a great time to go, you get more daylight, warmer temps and still snow on the mountains in the West/NW! Great trip, there will be prlenty of ideas here, once you decide you can start planning your next trip! ;)

I can't disagree with Mr. Guest-Hudson, my preference thou is to "Train-It-Home" vs. flying home. Yup, you will miss some scenery, but not a lot. It's hard to judge what one person defines as "great scenery" and how another will view the same. Personally, I like it ALL. (deserts of Texas/Sunset, mountains of Zephyr, and "everything" on the Builder)

Builder pretty much wins hands-down as having best food, and usually service along with it. Either way go, you will be on the Starlight, which is worth flying to Cali for alone.

I can't disagree with Mr. Guest-Hudson, my preference thou is to "Train-It-Home" vs. flying home. Yup, you will miss some scenery, but not a lot. It's hard to judge what one person defines as "great scenery" and how another will view the same. Personally, I like it ALL. (deserts of Texas/Sunset, mountains of Zephyr, and "everything" on the Builder)

Builder pretty much wins hands-down as having best food, and usually service along with it. Either way go, you will be on the Starlight, which is worth flying to Cali for alone.
I agree with you also, the Builder is really first rate as you said! if the OP had more time we would have put them on a traveler routing, sort of a Big Circle Route or a huge Z, they could forget the plane ride and ride all the trains that are being mentioned, I especially like the routing through New Orleans also, one of my favorite cities to vist when the weather is good and the prices are low! Makes me want to catch the Eagle today heading out somewhere! :wub:

flying experience does suck unless you are going First Class on an International Flight!
Even that has become rather dismal my last international flight I got to experience Continental Business First only advantage was the legroom. The food and service weren't anything I'd pay for. Luckily, the upgrade was courtesy of my dads status with CO.

Now thats not to say you shouldn't fly one way on your cross country train trip. I have made 2 cross country treks and both have involved a flight on the western end. I would say take the Lakeshore Limited from Boston to Chicago, then connect up with the Southwest Chief to wonderful sunny LA where you can connect to the Coast Starlight and travel up the California coast to the Pacific Northwest. Overnighting in Chicago and LA would be nice IMHO and in LA the Metro Plaza Hotel is a short walk from the train station, and comes recommended from several AU members. Personally I think its perfect for a 1 night layover between trains.

The Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight are the best trains to do. If you have the funds do them both. The Starlight between LA, Portland and Seattle has the advantage of the Pacific Parlour Car. It is only unique to this train and is only for sleeping car passengers. You'll enjoy wine tasting, a movie theatre and you can have some of your meals there too.

So I would do this:

Fly to either LA or San Fran. (I say LA) Go north on the Coast Starlight to Portland to do whatever you need to do there. From Portland you can either board the Empire Builder directly to Chicago OR take a quick jaunt up to Seattle and board the Empire Builder direct to Chicago from there. The Empire Builder combines at Spokane going east.

From Chicago you can take the direct Lake Shore Limited to Boston. Or do any other of the options described above back to Beantown. The Cardinal has the best scenery, but only runs 3 days a week. You'll also have to take the overnight train to Boston if you do that option. The overnight train does not have sleepers, so keep that in mind.

I agree with Jim (Now did that happen - I must be sick
mosking.gif
) about the routing! Crossing the Rockies and Donner Oass in daylight, and using the PPC on the CS (If you're in a sleeper) is icing on the cake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back