Crescent OTP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SYR to NYP is probably my most frequent Amtrak corridor. There is ALWAYS, even if the train is late a smoke stop in Albany-Rensselaer. The crew always changes there and there are a ton of people who board the train to go down to New York. One or two of the coaches at the front of the train are even kept closed until Albany for the number of people boarding there. A standard SYR to NYP ride for me (have never upgraded to Business Class, although after trying the comfy seats at National Train Day I might have to) on a crowded day is two seats to myself from SYR to ALB and then getting a aisle seat mate for the 2 1/2 trip down the Hudson.

Train #280 until one of the recent timetable changes operated about an hour later (my grandmother, the reason I go to SYR missed it used to the old schedule) but today Arrives in Albany at 9:50am and Departs at 10:05am. Smoking is amazingly still permitted on the platforms in Albany, although last year (I believe) it was banned from LIRR and Metro-North platforms (within New York State).

I know on the LSL SYR is a smoke stop but when I board Empire Service trains I rarely see people stepping off to smoke. It would probably be one of those stops that if you ask the crew they might quickly let you smoke but don't announce it. Utica has never been a smoke stop in all my years riding the train, I have never stepped off the train there although on my next trip to Syracuse when I can I am definitely going to plan a layover to explore its historic station. (I've got every Empire Service station on my website except Utica, Amsterdam and Schenectady).
Asking the crew sounds like the magic answer. One time, on the LSL, we were past Buffalo, when the train made an unscheduled stop. Our car attendant knew we were smokers, and had evidently mentioned it to the Conductor. When the train came to a stop, she said: "Come with me. The Conductor's a smoker too and told me to get you." That was a very long stop, as the train had hit a truck (semi trailer, and no one was hurt). We stood outside with the Conductor, smoking, while the State Police did their investigation. It was also fun hearing a few railroad stories from the conductor.

IIRC there is an engine change in Albany. At least on the Adirondack, the crew changes there as well.
Not on the Empire Service trains that are extended all the way to Niagara Falls, they keep there Dual-Mode P32AC-DMs all the way through. The Ethan Allen Express also keeps its locomotive. If Albany had an extreme shortage of P32AC-DMs than they might switch one but normally they don't, although there are only 17 on Amtrak's roster. The easiest way to tell if the locomotive is a dual-mode is if the number is between 700-717. Third rail shoes are also visible (there two on each side) retracted if you get that low-level view. The last time I took the Empire Service through Albany, and stepped off there, I watched the new locomotive engineer test the third rail shoes by raising and lowering them. The locomotive is always parked going southbound as the ramp down to track level begins at the end of Albany's high level platform. This ramp is also a restricted, non-public area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back