Crescent Bedroom Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I will taking the Crescent this week in Bedroom B, Car 1910. I have a few questions:

1. Is this a good location? What is considered the best car and bedroom location?

2. I will be traveling alone and was wondering where would be the best place to sleep, lower or upper berth? Just curious as to the pros and congs of both.

I will be going from Philly to New Orleans and am excited for my trip. Thanks.

Peter

Hello everyone. I will taking the Crescent this week in Bedroom B, Car 1910. I have a few questions:

1. Is this a good location? What is considered the best car and bedroom location?

2. I will be traveling alone and was wondering where would be the best place to sleep, lower or upper berth? Just curious as to the pros and cons of both.

Peter
There are only 2 regular bedrooms in the car, A & B. B is just around the corner from the roomettes. Fine room. Car 1910 is closest to the diner. There are only 2 sleepers so not much of a difference. Edit: There is also a handicap bedroom.

We are in N.O. returning tomorrow. We (5 people) had roomette 2 and Bedroom B in car 1910 on Thursday. Going to Atlanta so won't be using it overnight.

In roomette, upper bunk has advantage of leaving more room to get dressed in the AM before beds are undone by SCA. Not so important in BR because of extra room. I'd still do upper there if it were me.

Must have been a good deal to pick BR over roomette for one, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Peter.

I cannot comment on the Crescent, but I have traveled numerous times on the Silvers, which are also Viewliners. Bedroom B is my favorite room on a Viewliner. Every time I have been in Bedroom B, the couch is facing forward, which makes the ride more comfortable. When traveling alone, I sleep on the bottom, which bed is a little wider. The one time that I shared a bedroom with my sister, I was on the top bunk and did not particularly care for it (or it could be that I do not like sharing a room :lol: )

Enjoy your trip!!

2. I will be traveling alone and was wondering where would be the best place to sleep, lower or upper berth? Just curious as to the pros and congs of both.

Peter
I traveled on the southbound Crescent earlier in the year in Car 1910. Rob is the usual attendant and he provides excellent service. Hopefully you will get him on your trip. We stayed in Bedroom A which is adjacent to Bedroom B. On our trip, Bedroom B (our neighbors) faced the direction of travel so hopefully you will have this in favor. As the previous poster stated, this car is next to the diner. The only issue we had on our trip was a noisy toilet. It flushed frequently on its own accord throughout the night. Bring earplugs and you should not hear it. Enjoy your trip.

Welcome aboard, Peter!
hi.gif

HERE is a diagram of the sleeping cars. The one that is on the Crescent is shown at the bottom. (And BTW: This diagram has the location of bedrooms "A" and "B" reversed.) You will not know for sure if the bedrooms will be first or if the roomettes will be first, since the sleeping car can be placed facing either direction. But car 1910 will be right next to the diner!

Also. there is also a window on the upper berth.

If you have not yet signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR), you should! If you need to do so, please send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address, and I'll be glad to refer you!

I've seen the couch in bedroon B not facing the direction of travel on the Crescent before, but in either case it is a NICE room. I've met people traveling solo in the bedrooms before and they've had no complaints, other than the shower/toilet combo is pretty cramped for showers and water gets all over the toilet when you take one. The bedrooms are spacious for a single occupant. ENJOY!

In our June trip on the Crescent we were in Bedroom B. The coach was facing forward going and coming so they must be turning them in NOL. . You've got plenty of additional room for baggage in the Viewliner bedrooms, high and low windows and more headroom overall but the layout is just like a Superliner bedroom. Since you are traveling alone in an Amtrak bedroom you will have plenty of space. The trip from PHL to NOL is over 20 hours but for us it goes quickly.Suggest that you bring books, a laptop or IPad to help pass the time. We found the Crescent trip to be pleasant and the last hour going over Lake Ponchartrain is incredible. It appears that you are traveling in the water like a boat. Don't miss it and bring your camera. On the trip back there is a small lounge for first class passengers in the corner of NOL station and you probably already know about the lounge at Phila. Great trip. You will really enjoy it.

Welcome aboard, Peter!
hi.gif

HERE is a diagram of the sleeping cars. The one that is on the Crescent is shown at the bottom. (And BTW: This diagram has the location of bedrooms "A" and "B" reversed.) You will not know for sure if the bedrooms will be first or if the roomettes will be first, since the sleeping car can be placed facing either direction. But car 1910 will be right next to the diner!
I thought it was customary to put the vestibule end of the car next to the diner in order to facilitate leaving the latter in case of an emergency, since diners themselves usually have no vestibule at either end.

Obviously, I'm unfamiliar with single-level equipment layouts, since I live in the west, where almost all the LD trains are two-level (Superliner or Superliner-compatible).

Thanks for all the information guys. I got the ticket from Guest Rewards points so that is why I am treating myself to a bedroom. It would have been an expensive ride if I had to pay. I guess my question about where to sleep was two fold. First I thought by taking the upper berth, it would allow me to sit and relax down below before going to bed. The second reason and I don't know why I would think this but I was wondering if you would feel the motion of the train less being above.

The only thing I am now concerned about is being so close to the dining car. Will that be a lot of noise and traffic? Oh well, to late now.

Thanks for all the information guys. I got the ticket from Guest Rewards points so that is why I am treating myself to a bedroom. It would have been an expensive ride if I had to pay. I guess my question about where to sleep was two fold. First I thought by taking the upper berth, it would allow me to sit and relax down below before going to bed. The second reason and I don't know why I would think this but I was wondering if you would feel the motion of the train less being above.

The only thing I am now concerned about is being so close to the dining car. Will that be a lot of noise and traffic? Oh well, to late now.
You feel the motion much more on the upper bunk than the lower. At least that has been my experience.

You won't get any excess noise from the dining car. The only passengers going past you will be other sleeping car passengers - coach passengers will all come from the other direction and the car itself won't produce any noise beyond normal railroad sounds.

As for berths, I don't think you'll have any extra motion to speak of in the upper; the Viewliner cars are single level, so not that tall anyway. And, unlike Superliner cars, the upper on Viewliners have windows. -_-

You will thoroughly enjoy your room and this upcoming trip! A great treat to have a bedroom all to your self. Enjoy!

I can't wait. I am going to New Orleans to go on a cruise and thought this would be a good way to start out the trip. I am also going on another cruise in September and am also taking a bedroom car to Orlando.

I guess I am going for the lower berth. Anyone else have an opininon as where I should sleep (upper or lower) considering I will be in the room alone? Would love to hear more thoughts on the subject.

I can't wait. I am going to New Orleans to go on a cruise and thought this would be a good way to start out the trip. I am also going on another cruise in September and am also taking a bedroom car to Orlando.

I guess I am going for the lower berth. Anyone else have an opininon as where I should sleep (upper or lower) considering I will be in the room alone? Would love to hear more thoughts on the subject.
With the second row of windows I enjoy the upper bunk to watch the stars at night and peak out at the night time station stops.

It is an individual choice, but I too prefer the upper bunks on the Viewliners. Unlike the Superliners, at least in the roomettes, they are reasonably roomy (for me) and the upper windows make it easy to look out of when not asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back