Credit Card Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are taking our first trip on Amtrak this summer, TWO-BUF-CHI-MAL and returning on the same route a couple of weeks later, with a roomette booked on the Empire Builder each way. When I was booking our trip at 800-USA-RAIL the service rep couldn't process my Canadian credit card - she said the computer wouldn't allow it without a zip code, which we don't have here in Canada. I had to go to the Via/Amtrak desk in Toronto to pay for the trip. My question is, does anyone have an experience using a Canadian credit card onboard an Amtrak train? I would only use it if we decided to upgrade on a particular leg of the trip. Thanks.

I don't have a Canadian credit card but I'm guessing you'd be alright as they don't ask for zip code on-board. They just swipe and then you sign in my experience. It's rare that I can't use my credit or debit cards in person when in other countries, in fact ease of foreign access was a primary consideration when I chose my bank, but it's not always easy to use domestic cards over the phone with foreign companies or through foreign websites. My guess is that the Amtrak agent could have facilitated the purchase with a reserved entry in the zip code field or by manually entering an authorization code from the credit processing company, but I guess those options eluded her. Did you ask to speak with her supervisor?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the rep was having a bad day since it took her twenty minutes and two calls to the help desk to process my CAA/AAA discount. Honestly after all that I was happy to go to the station and make sure that everything was in order as my tickets were being printed. I've had a couple of issues with Can. credit cards in the US, even at major retailers, but usually it's resolved when they manually input the card number. Of course I always let my bank know ahead of time that I will be travelling.

Sounds like to me that you hit an agent who was either new or simply didn't know what she was doing. Plenty of people from around the world, including Canada, have successfully booked trips.

By the way, you call it a Postal Code, but that's what she should have been entering into her computer after selecting Canada as your country.

As for an onboard upgrade, since you'll be presenting the actual card to the conductor, address & postal codes are not required. The conductor will just run it though the credit card machine for instant approval.

When I was booking our trip at 800-USA-RAIL the service rep couldn't process my Canadian credit card - she said the computer wouldn't allow it without a zip code, which we don't have here in Canada.
Aloha

Your equivalent of Zip Code contains Alpha characters.. I had to design a Data base using both US and Canadian code format for the members address list.

Our six digit alpha-numeric Postal Code does cause some problems with computers stateside, which is why I wasn't surprised when she couldn't process the payment. I'm often asked for my zip code by cashiers when shopping in the States, and when I rattle off my postal code I get some weird looks. I was just concerned that using a foreign card could be problematic, especially when dealing with a remote terminal on a train. Thanks for the quick replies, and I must say that this site is quite useful for the first time Amtrak rider.

This is still a problem. Online amtrak ticket purchases reject my USD credit card because of zipcode. It's been a problem for years and still was today. Never a problem on other online services or when used physically at Amtrak stations or elsewhere.

This is still a problem. Online amtrak ticket purchases reject my USD credit card because of zipcode. It's been a problem for years and still was today. Never a problem on other online services or when used physically at Amtrak stations or elsewhere.
USD? I only know "U.S. Dollar". Which country is that?

I just tried a dummy reservation, and it's letting me choose from the United States, Canadian provinces, and Military addresses (AA, AE, AP). For any other country, you may have to call.

Also, it's letting me use six alphanumeric spaces for my fake Canadian postal code, so at least that issue has been fixed.

I just tried a dummy reservation, and it's letting me choose from the United States, Canadian provinces, and Military addresses (AA, AE, AP). For any other country, you may have to call.

Also, it's letting me use six alphanumeric spaces for my fake Canadian postal code, so at least that issue has been fixed.
I think he means a U.S. Dollar credit card.

USD stands for US Dollars"
Right, that's what I said, and that's why I was confused when he said "my USD credit card". I wasn't sure if he lived in another country and had an American credit card or what. I thought maybe there was a country out there with a "USD" abbreviation that I was unaware of, which seemed odd, but still possible since I don't know every single little tiny country in the big, wide world. :)

If your credit card has a U.S. zip code, this shouldn't be an issue. If you don't live in the U.S. (and aren't on a military base), how did you manage to get a U.S. credit card? (Just curious, as I've never heard of this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back