connecting from SWC to CS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy559

Service Attendant
Would anyone have any experience to share on the transfer from the SWC in LAX (815A) arrival, to the CS (1010A) departure.

Thank you.

The SWC many times arrives early so there usually isn't a problem. Last time I did it the transfer was fine. If you are in sleepers remember the new Metropolitan Lounge is now open for your use.

I made the transfer, along with seven other AUers two years ago without any problems.

We had time for coffee in the make-shift lounge.

That is one of the few LD to LD same day connections I will voluntarily make without building in a layover day. Last time i did it, #3 arrived about 7:35. Plenty of time to walk down to Phillipe's for a nice breakfast.

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I've got a question regarding this topic and thought I'd use the old one.... I'm scheduled to catch the SWC from Riverside to LAUS in late July and then connect with the CS , If the SWC is uber late I have several options to get myself to LA - the metro trains, or my son in law would drive me there I'm sure - but question is, since the beginning of the CS reservation has me boarding in RIV, and say I skip that for whatever necessary reason....is my CS rez. voided automatically? If it's not ridiculously late, I'll wait for the SWC and I understand it's a guaranteed connection but I would hate to miss the coast line view. Wondering if the safer choice would be to cx the SWC portion and simply take a local train to the city to ensure connection. [since I'll already be in RIV for a couple of days, I can always make a decision based on how things are running closer to departure] Advice?

If your ticket isn't scanned, your reservation is cancelled. Between Riverside and the boarding the Coast Starlight you may be within the grace window the system allows for scanning, but I would not count on that.

If I were you, I would call Amtrak, change my reservation to start at LA, and take Metrolink into LA Union Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!~ That's what I needed to know for certain. Not worth the risk, imo, so I'll change the res to start in LA and get to LAUS on my own.

I wouldn't do that. Just be aware of what's going on when the trip comes. If the SWC is running super-late, pull the plug on the first leg and get to LAX by different means. But that's a very low likelyhood event. Odds are overwhelming that you'll be able to take the trip as currently scheduled.

I agree with Ryan, play it by ear and if need be just call AGR and modify your rez and head for LAX another way!

Just remember you can call and cancel that 1st leg up to departure time from Riverside. So if you do take Metrolink for instance, it would almost certainly be before the SWC departure time.

I would not book 2 separate reservations! Using the NEC as an example, there is a large discount for connecting to/from a LD train to/from a regional. So much so that (for example) ATL-PVD may be $10 more than say ATL-WAS. Using the same, I doubt Riverside to LAX alone is $10.

I just tried a random date in late June and it was $16 to go from Riverside to Los Angeles on the SWC. I then added a trip to PDX on the CS and it came out to $129. When I checked LAX to PDX it was $113. If it was me, I'd just take the metrolink. If the Riverside train time is not so good you may want to try San Bernardino. That line has more trains than the Riverside line.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back