Confusion: Point redemption trips scheduled by Jan 24 and then cancel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I booked my points trip a couple months ago, the agent told me the old rules will still apply if I cancel after 1/24.
The agent was wrong. An agent told me the same. I inquired of the AGR management folks and they said in no uncertain terms that the agent was wrong. I suggested to them that they forthwith provide additional training to the agents to ensure that they stop misleading customers.

When I booked my points trip a couple months ago, the agent told me the old rules will still apply if I cancel after 1/24.
I think the agent was wrong about that. Everything I've read, all the Amtrak publications, all the reliable people here, like jis and frensic, all read the rules the same --

After 1/24 the new rules apply. Any changes after that day, the new rules apply. No zones, you probably get points refunded if you cancel on time, any change invokes the new rules.

Anybody please correct me if I'm mistaken about that, but it seems really clear.

Ok....we are going to take Crescent from NOL to NYP in August. Under old rules, bedroom is 40k points. Current $$$ cost for two is $849, which translates to 29+k points. However, only one bedroom at that bucket left.

So, considering reserving at 40k points, and if bucket doesn't change bu 1/24, canceling it and rebooking at 29+k points, taking the 4k point penalty......will still be only 33+k points, far less than 40k.

What am I missing, or is this a good idea?

If the train is sold out wrt bedrooms, how will you know what the new price (and therefore point cost) will be?

BTW, I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my CONO trip in November, as I mentioned earlier.

If the train is sold out wrt bedrooms, how will you know what the new price (and therefore point cost) will be?

BTW, I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my CONO trip in November, as I mentioned earlier.
Worst case will be that I go for 40k points......if price in $$$ = less than 40 k - 10% (4k) then I could cancel and rebook, correct?

Worst case will be that I go for 40k points......if price in $$$ = less than 40 k - 10% (4k) then I could cancel and rebook, correct?
The penalty only applies to points redeposited to your account, not to the total points involved. For example, if you book now for 40,000 points, and after the new program is in effect you see a lower price of 35,000 points, you can make the change. Since the refund (redeposit) to your AGR account is 5000 points, the penalty applied is 10% of the 5000 point redeposit (500 points), not 10% of the original 40,000 points.

Now, if the decision is made to cancel the AGR reservation in its entirety and re-book as a paid reservation, then the 10% penalty will apply to the full 40,000 point redeposit - 4000 points.

FWIW: I just booked an AGR redemption on the phone, including a trip on the CZ where only lower-level roomettes are available. Since I much prefer upper level, I asked the agent about calling later to try to change rooms; I wouldn't change anything else about this reservation.

She told me that she and her fellow AGR agents were taking a training session today about the new post-1/24 AGR rules, and that she'd know more after she completed that training. But at the time of our phone call it wasn't clear to her whether even changing just from one room to another on an existing AGR-redeemed reservation would invoke a penalty after 1/24.

I'm going to call back 1/23 to see if an upper-level room has opened up. Will ask then about post-1/24 penalties for changing a room on an existing reservation and report back what I find, unless someone else answers that question here in the meantime.

Please report back here, even if someone else does answer that question in the meantime. And good luck swapping roomettes on the 23rd and avoiding the possibility.

Since one can change rooms (when dealing with a knowledgeable agent) at no cost, I would hope that there would be no penalty even after the change to AGR2.

Since one can change rooms (when dealing with a knowledgeable agent) at no cost, I would hope that there would be no penalty even after the change to AGR2.
Willem, finding that knowledgeable agent is like finding "a needle in a haystack for me". When was the actual last time you did this? I have tried several times on several reservations to change my room and each time they insist the new location will have to be at the current "bucket" price whether more or less.

Willem, finding that knowledgeable agent is like finding "a needle in a haystack for me". When was the actual last time you did this? I have tried several times on several reservations to change my room and each time they insist the new location will have to be at the current "bucket" price whether more or less.
In 2014, I had originally booked a roomette (AGR) EMY to TOL then coach TOL home but then decided I did not want to do the Toledo shuffle around midnight, so I called to add a roomette for the cash portion. After checking the roomette price online I called and asked if my current room was available for the rest of the trip. I was told that roomette would cost more than what I saw online so I said I believe she could override that and she didn't know how so I asked her to check with a supervisor. She came back and said she could do it and was appreciative of learning that she could. I learned on AU to ask for a supervisor if the agent doesn't know how to do something and if that fails, and it is something they should be able to do, to call back later and hopefully get an agent or supervisor who knows how.

These threads make me think that each room in every sleeper has a set price.

It has been a while since I have tried to change a room after booking, because I now try to make any changes at booking time. Occasionally, I do need to suggest that the agent check with a supervisor on how to accomplish what I request during a booking. As AmtrakBlue suggested, do not be bashful about asking the agent to check with a supervisor.

These threads make me think that each room in every sleeper has a set price.
I expect each room does have a set price in the computer, and that's part of the problem. But the knowledgeable agent can swap the prices of two rooms, or at least move the price from one room to another if requested.

It is specially ominous when the folks who manage the AGR system insist on disagreeing with you though ;) since they make the rules that actually apply.
But don't seem to be able to effectively communicate them.
I have pointed this out to them. The info appears to be there in the FlyerTalk Wiki on AGR, but is hard to come by at any Amtrak or AGR site.

I'm wondering if the impending DC snowstorm this weekend (assuming it happens) will have any impact on the 1/24 rollout.
I seriously doubt that there will be a postponement.

If someone is considering booking a trip using the zone system that requires an agent, I highly recommend calling tomorrow (Friday). Assuming that storm hits as forecast, getting through to Amtrak on Saturday, with the crush of calls and likely short staffing at the Philadelphia call center, may be a challenge.

I'm wondering if the impending DC snowstorm this weekend (assuming it happens) will have any impact on the 1/24 rollout.
I seriously doubt that there will be a postponement.

If someone is considering booking a trip using the zone system that requires an agent, I highly recommend calling tomorrow (Friday). Assuming that storm hits as forecast, getting through to Amtrak on Saturday, with the crush of calls and likely short staffing at the Philadelphia call center, may be a challenge.
Or call late in the evening and get an agent in Los Angeles like I did last year.

Ok....we are going to take Crescent from NOL to NYP in August. Under old rules, bedroom is 40k points. Current $$$ cost for two is $849, which translates to 29+k points. However, only one bedroom at that bucket left.

So, considering reserving at 40k points, and if bucket doesn't change bu 1/24, canceling it and rebooking at 29+k points, taking the 4k point penalty......will still be only 33+k points, far less than 40k.

Well...as it gets closer and closer to the date of the AGR changeover, I am getting a bit queasy of doing this. As it now stands, the bedroom from NOL to NYP is 40k points today. $$$ cost of bedroom is $849, or 29,291 points, BUT there is only one room at this price, and according to Amsnag, the next bucket goes all the way up to $1,209 (!!), or 41,711points......

If I reserved my room now @40k points, would that move the rooms to the next bucket, since there is only one room at the lower price?

So, it looks like a gamble right now....take the chance at nobody taking the room before midnight tonight and jumping in at the $849 price and saving 10k points, or taking a chance and losing 1700 points.........

Also: The changeover takes place at 12 midnight, in which time zone?????

And is the AGR website supposed to begin allowing sleeper booking at midnight? Since the call center closes at midnight Eastern.............

UPDATE: I called AGR and after 29 minutes on hold, got an agent who told me that the changeover takes place at midnight PACIFIC time. She had to put me on hold to go ask someone about that. She also went to ask someone about the website allowing sleeper booking, and that change is supposed to also be at midnight PACIFIC time, that is when the website is supposed to be reloaded with the option to book sleepers on points.

That is what I was told today anyway.......as with all things Amtrak, YMMV........

Last edited by a moderator:

Well...as it gets closer and closer to the date of the AGR changeover, I am getting a bit queasy of doing this. As it now stands, the bedroom from NOL to NYP is 40k points today. $$$ cost of bedroom is $849, or 29,291 points, BUT there is only one room at this price, and according to Amsnag, the next bucket goes all the way up to $1,209 (!!), or 41,711points......

If I reserved my room now @40k points, would that move the rooms to the next bucket, since there is only one room at the lower price?

So, it looks like a gamble right now....take the chance at nobody taking the room before midnight tonight and jumping in at the $849 price and saving 10k points, or taking a chance and losing 1700 points.........

Also: The changeover takes place at 12 midnight, in which time zone?????

And is the AGR website supposed to begin allowing sleeper booking at midnight? Since the call center closes at midnight Eastern.............

UPDATE: I called AGR and after 29 minutes on hold, got an agent who told me that the changeover takes place at midnight PACIFIC time. She had to put me on hold to go ask someone about that. She also went to ask someone about the website allowing sleeper booking, and that change is supposed to also be at midnight PACIFIC time, that is when the website is supposed to be reloaded with the option to book sleepers on points.

That is what I was told today anyway.......as with all things Amtrak, YMMV........
The AGR call center closes at midnight eastern time. Since you need to book sleepers through the call center, for all practical purposes, the deadline is midnight tonight, EST.

FWIW: I just booked an AGR redemption on the phone, including a trip on the CZ where only lower-level roomettes are available. Since I much prefer upper level, I asked the agent about calling later to try to change rooms; I wouldn't change anything else about this reservation.

She told me that she and her fellow AGR agents were taking a training session today about the new post-1/24 AGR rules, and that she'd know more after she completed that training. But at the time of our phone call it wasn't clear to her whether even changing just from one room to another on an existing AGR-redeemed reservation would invoke a penalty after 1/24.

I'm going to call back 1/23 to see if an upper-level room has opened up. Will ask then about post-1/24 penalties for changing a room on an existing reservation and report back what I find, unless someone else answers that question here in the meantime.

Please report back here, even if someone else does answer that question in the meantime. And good luck swapping roomettes on the 23rd and avoiding the possibility.

Good news (in a small but significant way): Called AGR back today to try to change from lower-level to upper-level roomette on my already-booked AGR redemption, for travel later this year. Although there were still no upper-level roomettes available, the agent consulted with her supervisor and then told me that there will be no points penalty or additional points assessed if I call back and make a change from one roomette to another AFTER the AGR rules change tomorrow. Agent said she'd make a note of this on my reservation.

She was quite clear, though, that additional points WOULD be assessed if I wanted to make any other sort of modification: change from roomette to bedroom, or change dates of travel, etc. In that case, I'd be charged the difference between the number of points I initially redeemed to make this reservation, and the number of points that would be required to make the new/modified reservation on the date the change is made.

Update on changeover:

Got online at 12:30 Pacific time and all Amtrak reservations were offline due to maintenance. Same at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00. At 5:00 central(6:00 eastern) reservations were back online with revamped website showing points as a payment option! However points button was not functioning. It got an alarm showing points were not acceptable as payment at this time, pay with credit card.

But after being on hold for 45 minutes, got through on phone and got our room at 29+ k points!

All is well....room B.......

Also, something new. Must have member number and a four digit PIN for AGR online. Was assigned a random PIN and can go online to change it to one of my choosing. but that doesn't seem to be working yet.

The following information in your Amtrak Guest Rewards account has been updated at your request:

PIN

If you have any questions regarding this change, call the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Service Center at 1-800-307-5000. A representative will be available to assist you from 5a.m. midnight, Eastern Time, 7 days a week.

Thank you for your business,

Amtrak Guest Rewards Service Center

Last edited by a moderator:
Back