Conductor's Authority

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What authority does the conductor have to direct, admonish, or reprimand Service Crewmwmbers? For example, if a Service Crewmember is grossly out of line or abusive would there be any benefit to bringing this to the conductors attention?

The Conductor is "The Boss" of the entire train. He/she is where "the buck stops". The Conductor certainly has the authority. If it is close to a station stop, or something else that the Conductor must attend to as it happens (they have quite a lot of paperwork they have to deal with, and, along with the engineer, has to keep track of slow orders, malfunctioning grade crossing devices, and so forth, and the conductor monitors the same radio channel the engineer is on, and acknowledges signal calls by the engineer - the safe and lawful conduct of the train is always his first and most compelling duty), you may have to wait until he/she has the time to listen and deal with it. If you have a sufficiently compelling set of facts and can back up your complaint, I would expect some action. But you would probably have to be pretty convincing. I do know of a conductor or two that would absolutely be willing to address the problem. But again, the safe and lawful operation of the train itself is his first priority.

I'm sure there are some conductors who are not going to want to get involved with Customer Service issues unless its really serious. Other conductors may. In the end... the Conductor would be the person to talk to. Keep in mind that the Conductors change enroute, while the on-board service crew does not. Unless it was something very serious... I would wait until I was off the train and complain directly to the company.. or an agent.

What authority does the conductor have to direct, admonish, or reprimand Service Crewmwmbers? For example, if a Service Crewmember is grossly out of line or abusive would there be any benefit to bringing this to the conductors attention?

To answer your question directly (AmtrakWPK pretty much covered the major details). First and foremost the conductor's primary responsiblity is to oversee the safe, orderly, and efficient operation of the train over his/her assigned portion of the train's route. A conductor still has the abilty to use their customer service skills (I wonder about some... LOL) to exercise some recovery efforts in a hard situation relating to a passenger. But in most cases the conductor will persuade the employee handling the area where the situation is occuring (unless the conductor is the only on-board employee) to come to a compromise and do the right thing when a passenger has a problem with service. However, with any issue (we'll discuss an employee related here as you asked), if that certain presents itself as such, the conductor can go as far as to have the offending employee removed from service. He/she can even have them removed from the train all together if the situation warants due to a safety violation in protection of himself, the other employees, as well as the passengers! If it gets to that point, he/she needs to have their i's dotted and t's crossed with both his/her supervisor and the OBS's supervisor.

If there is a customer service issue on board though, the passenger should speak with the LSA/Dining Car Steward in the dining car (or lounge car if no diner on the train) as they are the EIC (employee in charge) over the OBS crew on their particular train. If there is an on board supervisor available then they are the employee in charge over these issues. But let any issue hinder the safe, orderly, and efficient operation of the train itself, then the conductor is the head, and his/her word goes! Like it or not... that is the way it is, though most conductors won't overstep their boundaries and stick their neck out too far! The conductor still has to use some tact in dealing with employee realated issues as he shouldn't overstep the train attendants plans as long as they are not unsafe or unreasonable. And remember, the conductors primary job still is to see to it that train operates safely, orderly, and efficiently while on his watch from point A to point B!

OBS gone freight....

I don't know the extent of the condcutor's authority, but I would look carefully at the situation before approaching him. I would consider some of the following points:

1. Is the action of the Amtrak crew member creating a safety risk for passengers or crew members? Will other passengers collaborate your story?

2. What do you expect the conductor/LSA to do to rectify the situation?

3. Can this wait until you can call customer service from home?

I don't think a conductor or LSA could do a lot to immediately remedy the situation. They could move the passenger to another car if space was available, and they could talk to the crew member to get them to correct their behavior. That would be about it. As far as refunds and other money issues, nothing would be done on the train.

I would also observe the interactions between the crew members and there onboard supervisors. If they all seem to get along real well, there is the possibilty that they will band together since some crews have an "us against them" attitude. In this case, leave it alone untl you can get home.

I believe that in any issues of safety, the crew would rise to the occasion and do the right thing. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. I realize that most situations must be approached from a practical standpoint. However, I don't want to have to wait until my trip is over to remedy an unacceptable service situation if there is a quicker solution.

I don't know the extent of the condcutor's authority, but I would look carefully at the situation before approaching him. I would consider some of the following points:
1. Is the action of the Amtrak crew member creating a safety risk for passengers or crew members? Will other passengers collaborate your story?
Obviously, if there is a safety issue, then action is warranted.

I expect the crew to do the right thing first off. But if issues turn to disputes turn to trouble, I expect them to listen and work to resolve that issue.

Sometimes YES. Sometimes NOT. Each situation is very different and each solution unique. But the onboard answer should never be a standard "call the 800# when you get back".

I don't think a conductor or LSA could do a lot to immediately remedy the situation. They could move the passenger to another car if space was available, and they could talk to the crew member to get them to correct their behavior. That would be about it. As far as refunds and other money issues, nothing would be done on the train.
BALONEY. The passenger might not like the immediate solution, but should ALWAYS be heard. Making an effort to resolve a problem goes far towards diffusing problem situations. (Yes, refund vouchers are fine onboard to document the refund and be redeemed later).

I would also observe the interactions between the crew members and there onboard supervisors. If they all seem to get along real well, there is the possibilty that they will band together since some crews have an "us against them" attitude. In this case, leave it alone untl you can get home.
MORE BALONEY.

Look, I seriously doubt AMTRAK intends to set passengers out on the rails 'on their own' with a crew determined to work against them. I am certain most crews will do what they can to resolve issues. BUT ... .. as a passenger, if I am brushed off by a crew member, then a higher up, then the Conductor, I would be on the 800# immediately WHILE ONBOARD or in the face of an agent at the next lengthy station stop if the situation was that bad and needed intervention.

I talk routinely with crews as I ride about the way they have been treated by AMTRAK, their lack of a contract, the reduction in staffing, and all the woes. I sympathize with them. I write letters and make calls to AMTRAK and Congress on their behalf. I will even give them great latitude onboard - and plenty of compliments both in person and via the 800#.

But poor customer service is not acceptable and should not be tolerated by any passenger.

(Oh BTW, the last ride I took ... every staff member, and there were about eight, walked by a filthy dirty Lounge Car and DID NOTHING to pick up even the slightest piece of trash. I took the effort to clean up the area I was in. And the offending items? Breakfast items, and it was 2:00 PM. Yep, that got a 800# call).

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I seriously doubt AMTRAK intends to set passengers out on the rails 'on their own' with a crew determined to work against them. I am certain most crews will do what they can to resolve issues. BUT ... .. as a passenger, if I am brushed off by a crew member, then a higher up, then the Conductor, I would be on the 800# immediately WHILE ONBOARD or in the face of an agent at the next lengthy station stop if the situation was that bad and needed intervention.
I talk routinely with crews as I ride about the way they have been treated by AMTRAK, their lack of a contract, the reduction in staffing, and all the woes. I sympathize with them. I write letters and make calls to AMTRAK and Congress on their behalf. I will even give them great latitude onboard - and plenty of compliments both in person and via the 800#.

But poor customer service is not acceptable and should not be tolerated by any passenger.

(Oh BTW, the last ride I took ... every staff member, and there were about eight, walked by a filthy dirty Lounge Car and DID NOTHING to pick up even the slightest piece of trash. I took the effort to clean up the area I was in. And the offending items? Breakfast items, and it was 2:00 PM. Yep, that got a 800# call).
What makes you think a crew would not work against a passenger? I saw it happen when a lady complained to a lounge car attendant about filthiness in a car. She left the lounge car after he jumped all over her and told her "this is not an airplane", among other things. After she left, 3 crew members came down on a break and he proceeded to berate her to them. They all agreed, even though they only caught the tail end of the encounter. Maybe they wouldn't "set passengers out on the rails", but they can really make a passenger uncomforable and give them a lousy rail experience!

The lack of contract, reduction in staffing and "all the woes" are not isolated to Amtrak and they are no reason to give the crew "great lattitude on board". There is no excuse for the way some crew members abuse passengers.

For every crew member, there are probably 3 or 4 people who would gladly hire on to Amtrak in their place. In these times, they should be happy to have a job!

Betty

I for one would be very careful about complaining too loud on board a train, especially a long distance one. I have seen the crews band together many times against passengers who had legitmate complaints. I doubt they would set you off the train (although you never know) but as Everydaymatters said, they could make the trip very unpleasant for you.

Now there used to be a Chief of Onboard Services that you could go to for this, but not anymore..... :(

As has also been mentioned, the Conductor is in charge of the train. I highly doubt the conductor is going to do anything about a customer service issue in the diner for example. Now if it was a safety issue, the Conductor would def. get involved. Otherwise, most Conductors are probably going to stay out of someone elses business.

What kind of results might you get if you called the 800# and asked for customer service while you were on the train? Is there anyone there that can get results before the trip is over and keep you out of it with the offending Amtrak employee?

I've often experienced conductors who went out of their way to help passengers--the conductors seem to be the employees who are most rarely surly or unhelpful. For example, the day after Christmas in 2004, my party of four boarded an already crowded Crescent in ATL, and found seats only at opposite ends of the car. The car attendant simply yelled at us "Seats aren't reserved!" and moved on. However, the conductors, somehow (at 1 AM!) found us four seats across the aisle! Of course, these conductors received a letter of commendation after the trip, and the attendant received the opposite.

Now if it was a safety issue, the Conductor would def. get involved.
Please clarify the safety issue. Is it the safety of the passenger, the crew or the entire train? .... or any of the above?

Now if it was a safety issue, the Conductor would def. get involved.
Please clarify the safety issue. Is it the safety of the passenger, the crew or the entire train? .... or any of the above?
I'll repeat it again. It is the safe, orderly, and efficient operation of the entire train over its assigned route in his/her shift as well as ensuring the safety of the employees and passengers. OBS gone freight....

I apologize if I offended you with my post. However, my advice was based on personal experiences and how I would handle the situation. This may not be for everybody. However, I do feel that it was not necessary to refer to my suggestions as baloney.

On one trip when Amtrak had that refund policy for poor service, I was so irritated that I called the customer service number from the train to lodge a complaint. I was told to wait until the end of the trip. I did speak to members of the crew involved, but they did not produce a satisfactory result. Nor did they appear to be regretful about their behavior. Yes, they did band together to get their stories straight . There supervisor participated in this before coming to talk to me. This is what prompted me to call customer service from the train. Since I was instructed to wait in this occasion, I assumed that was still the policy. I do expect employees to be courteous, and do their best. I understand off days, and exhaustion. But rudeness is not acceptable. In cases of rudeness, I take names and write letters. I will also write letters of commendation too.

Since the original post was asking about the conductor admonishing crew members, I assumed that the poster was asking about rude crew members or about one's acting in a suspicious way. That is why my responses focused on what to do on board the train. I advised the poster to think about realistic solutions before speaking to the conductor. This is the most effective way to resolve a complaint. I did not know that conductors could issue vouchers and refunds, but if they have that authority, then a passenger could ask for one. In my experiences, which are few, money issues were handled at the station. I once got a refund because the heat did not work in the sleeper in the capitol Limited, and I once was put up over night in Denver because of a freight derailment. Overall, I find that Amtrak crews have done a great job under trying situations. Since I know about there contract issues, and I like being on the train, I might be more tolerant of some things then others. I would rather not let a confrontation ruin my trip.

I don't know the extent of the conductor's authority, but I would look carefully at the situation before approaching him. I would consider some of the following points:
Obviously, if there is a safety issue, then action is warranted.

I expect the crew to do the right thing first off. But if issues turn to disputes turn to trouble, I expect them to listen and work to resolve that issue.

Sometimes YES. Sometimes NOT. Each situation is very different and each solution unique. But the onboard answer should never be a standard "call the 800# when you get back".

BALONEY. The passenger might not like the immediate solution, but should ALWAYS be heard. Making an effort to resolve a problem goes far towards diffusing problem situations. (Yes, refund vouchers are fine onboard to document the refund and be redeemed later).

MORE BALONEY.

In Steve's case, where the crew banded together to get their stories straight, that brings up another question.

Are the same crew members always assigned to work together? Or is crew assigned to different trains at different times and just come together once in awhile.

Based on what happened to Steve, it would seem that one would have a better chance of being heard if he waited until after the trip to lodge a complaint. I mean, if the crew knows you're going to complain, and they're still together where they can put a story together, it would seem the superiors would more likely believe the 3, 4, or 5 crew members than one passenger, and the crew would get away with it.

Steve made an excellent point about presenting a workable solution to the conductor.

None of what Steve said is Baloney. Bad crew attitudes really do happen on trains. If you have not experienced it yourself, or seen it happen to other passengers, consider yourself very blessed to have had great crews each time you took Amtrak!

Betty

What kind of results might you get if you called the 800# and asked for customer service while you were on the train? Is there anyone there that can get results before the trip is over and keep you out of it with the offending Amtrak employee?

I have no idea, but I have been successful in getting some results with airline flights and lack of service at the airport.

If you do call, be sure you have FIRST spoken to everyone onboard and exhausted all possible resolutions.

It certainly would be worth a try.

I apologize if I offended you with my post. However, my advice was based on personal experiences and how I would handle the situation. This may not be for everybody. However, I do feel that it was not necessary to refer to my suggestions as baloney.

Steve, you missed my point. It was that these actions you describe are NOT ACCEPTABLE by AMTRAK employees who are paid to provide service to passengers NOT what you were reporting. Maybe I formatted my response poorly.

"Banding together", bad talking passengers, lousy service - as I said "... poor customer service is not acceptable and should not be tolerated by any passenger."

I don't feel that I should have to endure poor service (or worse) throughout lenghty trips and complain after the trip has already been ruined. I am a seasoned traveler and do not have unrealistic expectations. On-time issues are not a concern. However, surly crewmembers should not be tolerated by pax or employees. First class rail transportation is not inexpensive. However, the experience is unforgetable and well worth the price when the trip is memorable for the right reasons.

In Steve's case, where the crew banded together to get their stories straight, that brings up another question.
Are the same crew members always assigned to work together? Or is crew assigned to different trains at different times and just come together once in awhile.

Based on what happened to Steve, it would seem that one would have a better chance to be heard if he waited until after the trip to lodge a complaint. I mean, if the crew knows you're going to complain, and they're still together where they can put a story together, it would seem the superiors would more likely believe the 3, 4, or 5 crew members than one passenger, and the crew would get away with it.

Steve made an excellent point about presenting a workable solution to the conductor.

None of what Steve said is Baloney. Bad crew attitudes really do happen on trains. If you have not experienced it yourself, or seen it happen to other passengers, consider yourself very blessed to have had great crews each time you took Amtrak!

Betty
Betty,

When we bid our jobs every year (sometimes more often when jobs change or rescheduled, etc), many of us try to bid together on the same trains if our seniority allows. It is actually easier for the old heads to do that over the younger ones. The old heads have less of a chance to be outbid by anyone allowing them to stay together on certain trains. Unfortunately, the possibilty of a whole crew of surely employees can all be on one train on every trip that crew makes on their assigned train(s). There can still be a crew made up of all extra board employees, too. We call it a "blue Monday" when that happens.

I'll make a few little comments in regard to "bad crew attitudes." First off there is no excuse for it to be taken out on a passenger or another employee, especially a passenger (without them there is no butter on the bread). Secondly there is a reason for bad attitudes to appear. Most of the time there are created personally by the indidual. However, IMO management kinda helps create them, too. You know the old "crap rolls downhill" thing. I leave the rest of that one alone. Also, a lot of passengers get on the train with bad attitudes, too. The OBS job itself, the hours involved, and the demanding situations take a toll on an individual. And while I am not excusing any employee's bad behavior sometimes passengers should back off a little especially when a problem arises that is out of the control of the employee. I got to where I could pretty much tell which passengers were going to be hard to deal with on every trip. And believe me (as a former OBS employee), it was a very small percentage of bad apples, but like surely crews, that small percentage of difficult passengers will gang up on you. With this type of service, it is not always possible to "have your way." I tried to make passenger requests work out (sometimes we had to compromise), but sometimes it just plain couldn't be done. But customer service can be performed without a surely attitude. However, many folks will still make claims of rudeness, etc just because they can't have it exactly their way.

I also completely understand your point with the "consider yourself blessed to have caught great crews." But I would like to add, passengers should not have to have that worry to contend with when they get on a train! Which I am sure you agree with that point!

Allow me to make one final comment regarding the conductor's place in a customer service related issue. The LSA in the diner (lounge if no diner) is in charge when there is a service related issue on the train. Unless the issue was with that particular employee or with a conductor related issue (on board fares, etc) then the LSA is the one who makes the decision. However, it is necessary for the conductor to exercise his part as he/she is in charge of the train. In a sense, he/she even has a little more say so than an OBS manager (who should take charge status of service issues if they are present), though most won't cross that line. The conductor is still in a customer service related position, though they must concentrate on the safe and efficient passage of train from point A to point B first and foremost. So that said, there is nothing wrong with presenting a workable solution to the conductor, but we need to remember his/her hands may be tied, too. Sometimes nothing can be done right away, though most of the OBS and T&E personel try.

OBS gone freight....

"Banding together", bad talking passengers, lousy service - as I said "... poor customer service is not acceptable and should not be tolerated by any passenger."
Sometimes we misinterpret text and get on mixed pages, but I don't feel anyone should miss this point! It is so true. OBS gone freight...

I do everything I can to keep a low profile on Amtrak. I don't ask any questions, I do as they say, I don't comment, etc. I just want to have a nice trip. I have seen people treated terribly and I don't want to be in that position.

Passengers should not have to get on a train knowing that they'd best keep a low profile so they don't become targets!

On the other hand, my experience on The Empire Builder two years ago was exemplary. The crews were dynamic, energetic, happy, and all the other good things you can think of. That was both ways from Chicago to Seattle and back.

If Amtrak can get crews like that together on one train, I'm at a loss to understand why they can't do that on all of their routes.

I've read that some airlines have Disney trainers come in to show their personnel a better way to handle people. Amtrak should do the same. Every time I tell people I take a lot of Amtrak trips, they grimace. This bad reputation for surly crews is widespread. It's second only to their reputation for dirty washrooms.

Betty

I do everything I can to keep a low profile on Amtrak. I don't ask any questions, I do as they say, I don't comment, etc. I just want to have a nice trip. I have seen people treated terribly and I don't want to be in that position.
That is how I survived boot camp. :rolleyes:

(edited to fix quote - AmtrakWPK)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back