complimentary bottled water

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm Deplume

Is the promised "complimentary bottled water" in the form of unlimited personal-size bottles? a quota of personal-size bottles? or is it in the form of larger bottles left out near the coffee for us to pour from?

Sorry, minor detail, but we're considering whether to bring any of our own.

It's unlimited personal size bottles -- if you have access to them (some CSAs prefer to keep them hidden, and dole them out as requested), or until they run out (which they may tend to do, if access is not controlled). So, your best bet is to bring some as a backup, and/or make sure you keep well-enough stocked up.

My one trip on LDs, we had two small bottles of water in our roomette. We were offered more later in the trip. I did not pay attention to the "coffee area", so don't know if I would have been able to help myself. I suspect the SCA's would have been happy to get me a new bottle, had I asked.

Yes, they will put the two bottles in your roomette when the CSA makes it ready for you. But the supply for the rest of the trip will most likely be one of three places: by the coffee (up top, with the juice), on a tray placed over the waste bins just around the corner form the coffee, or in roomette #1 (the CSA's roomette). The CSA may also stash it away somewhere else that it is not easily accessible, but you are entitled to ask for it any time you can catch your attendant and get them to give it to you! Hubby and I drink mostly water, so they may think we go through a lot of it, LOL! We also get water with our meals in the diner. It's a bigger bottle there, and it's nice and cold. We don't want to waste any of that bottled water, so it's up to us to remember to bring the rest back to our roomette.

You are correct in that Amtrak does (according to their website) provide "complimentary bottled water". However, I have had one of those bottles for days on end, and never heard it say one nice thing about me.

I've taken very few trips by sleeper but whenever I have, I've seen there is a big pack of small water bottles (a 24 pack from supermarket I guess) sitting above the coffee area and I have been able to "pick up" as many bottles as I wanted, but sitting out there they are at room temperature. I prefer having my water cold, so I have to then pick up some ice from the cooler (also sitting by the coffee area) to cool those bottles.

I prefer having my water cold, so I have to then pick up some ice from the cooler (also sitting by the coffee area) to cool those bottles.
I'm in the same quandry. Based on numerous other threads about ice, for health reasons SCAs are NOT supposed to leave ice out for passengers to take. So, it seems like ice availability is hit-or-miss, & probably shouldn't be freely available.

Having said that, if you could secure enough ice to put a bottle of water in, what sort of container do you have for holding your chilled drinks? If you bring a small cooler onboard, you might as well bring ice in it.

Ideally, I'd buy one of those collapsible, plastic-lined cardboard coolers, & stuff it in my suitcase. Then, when I got onboard, I'd ask the SCA for a small amount of ice - enough to keep 2-4 drinks cold. However, there's no guarantee that the SCA will have that much ice; even if they did, I'd hate to take more than my fair share, if the ice "allocation" per passenger is only enough to have a cup or so.

I think something like this would work well as an on-train cooler. Good brand, great reviews, and soft-sided (carry as a shoulder bag, or pack in suitcase when not being used). Of course "24 cans" is a great exaggeration, given the supplied measurements (13.3" x 9" x 11.5"), but you don't need to cool 24 cans at a time on a train ride!

On the CZ the SCA gave me a paper ice bucket. It was built like most paper cups at restaurants and it was the same size as most hotel ice buckets. The ice was in a plastic liner (like you would get at a hotel.)

Having said that, if you could secure enough ice to put a bottle of water in, what sort of container do you have for holding your chilled drinks?
You can ask the SCA for an ice bucket. All are given several paperboard ice buckets for those wanting to chill wine or other drinks.

The SCA is able to get more ice along the trip at service stops, and from the cafe car (if they have enough to share). There always seems to be plenty of ice, if you have a service-oriented SCA.
Actually, the SCA would get it from the dining car, which is where the extra bags are kept in between service stops. The cafe car doesn't have that much room for frozen stuff, whereas the dining car has a few bigger freezers.

The SCA is able to get more ice along the trip at service stops, and from the cafe car (if they have enough to share). There always seems to be plenty of ice, if you have a service-oriented SCA.
Actually, the SCA would get it from the dining car, which is where the extra bags are kept in between service stops. The cafe car doesn't have that much room for frozen stuff, whereas the dining car has a few bigger freezers.
That must have been what was said (the diner). Sorry for remembering it wrong. At my age, I can always blame it on a "senior moment"! :giggle:

Having said that, if you could secure enough ice to put a bottle of water in, what sort of container do you have for holding your chilled drinks?
You can ask the SCA for an ice bucket. All are given several paperboard ice buckets for those wanting to chill wine or other drinks.
This is the first time I have heard this. We usually stick the bottle in the sink of the bedroom and fill it with ice water to stay cold. Our next two trips are in roomettes so we will definitely ask for an ice bucket, great tip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also VERY occasionally been on "runs" where they either ran out, or the attendant didn't put the bottles out in an obvious place (and was absent, so I couldn't ask them). I usually carry at least 20 ounces of my own water, just in case of emergency. (I wasn't a Girl Scout very long, but I guess long enough to pick up "Be Prepared").

(Also, are you the Norm DePlume I might know from elsewhere....like a place where people talk about sticks and string?)

I had no idea that they did this! What a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back