comfort of amtrak beds (mattress)in sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually sleep pretty well except on one occasion- somehow I didn't slept too good on lower bunk. I woke up with a stiff back. Found out that one of the reclining chairs is not fully flat in a night mode. Usually the upper bunk is flat and smooth.

I do not sleep very well on the train, but I think it is more the movement of the train then the matress itself. I do sleep better in a bedroom, perpendicular to the tracks than a roomette where you sleep parallel. For some reason I also sleep better on Superliner equipment than single-level Viewliners. While I might be dating myself somewhat, I always felt the most comfortable sleeping accomodations were in the old Slumbercoaches.
You sleep perpendicular to the tracks? :unsure:

Might as well prop in the vestibule.

Try latitudinal and longitudinal next time, or parallel and transverse - might not make my eyes pop. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't experienced any problems with the roomette mattresses on either lower or upper bunks.

One thought to consider is bringing a self inflating sleeping pad similar to the ones hikers use when camping. These pads can be rolled up into a fairly compact form that makes it fairly easy to pack into a bag or attach to a back pack. ThermaRest is a very popular brand name for these pads.

I have always gotten great sleep in sleepers... sometimes better sleep than I get at home. I find the motion of the train to overcome any comfort issues with the pads. In fact, I like the firmness of the pad. It lets me get up and out real easy.
I agree. I took SSL #1 from NOL-LAX in June and never slept better. I had a roomette and felt the foam on top of the seat cushions was all I needed. I am doing SSL #2 LAX-NOL in January in a real bedroom. We will see how it goes.

Do they ever have extra pillows available for the sleeping car passengers?
Not if the sleeper is sold out. On the CZ a passenger snagged a pillow out of an empty roomette, when that group boarded the SCA made an announcement to the car that he needed the pillow back.
Ewwwwwwww.
Yikes. Someone used the pillow you're using just before you got it, too. Swap out the pillowcase, spray a bit of lysol, and ready for the next guy. I don't think they take all the pillows off the train and dry clean them after every trip...

I can never sleep on a train because I'm just too excited. I do try, and I succeed in small spurts. I like to sleep on the top bunk and keep the lower bunk set up for seating so that my ADHD brain can bounce between both at will...

I find the beds decent but certainly not quite like home. I usually am able to sleep about 50% of the time but most of our overnight trips have been on the AutoTrain which moves along at a fast pace and gives a pretty rocky ride.

I find the beds decent but certainly not quite like home. I usually am able to sleep about 50% of the time but most of our overnight trips have been on the AutoTrain which moves along at a fast pace and gives a pretty rocky ride.
To state the obvious... they aren't home. :D

Not if the sleeper is sold out. On the CZ a passenger snagged a pillow out of an empty roomette, when that group boarded the SCA made an announcement to the car that he needed the pillow back.
Ewwwwwwww.
Yikes. Someone used the pillow you're using just before you got it, too. Swap out the pillowcase, spray a bit of lysol, and ready for the next guy. I don't think they take all the pillows off the train and dry clean them after every trip...

I can never sleep on a train because I'm just too excited. I do try, and I succeed in small spurts. I like to sleep on the top bunk and keep the lower bunk set up for seating so that my ADHD brain can bounce between both at will...

I don't know the whole story just heard the announcement. It was only 6 or so hours into the trip so it wouldn't have been that used I suppose.

we took the LSL outof chicago in september, i asked for an extra pillow, no probs, the train was full but extra bedding is availiable the conductor told me, maybe i just smiled sweetly

I used the Viewliner upper bunk when I rode the Crescent for many years on business and found it good for sleeping, though woke many times to look out the window when stopped. However, this last trip my wife and I were in the H (handicapped) bedroom and it was not good. First, H is over the truck which gave a very jerky ride. Second, I had to rig two pillows on the outside of the lower berth so my wife would not roll out onto the floor due to the slant of the seat cushions. Aside from that, I (a party of one) thought it was a fun trip....my wife will NOT accompany me on my trip to LAX on the Sunset next May.

I would PAY to see this. Thanks for the great Belly-Laugh! (Rainbow colors too.......Think I'll bring my own Coleman stove next time.........)

All you have to PAY is $11.99. But, it's hard to see the rainbow colors because you put the inflatable under both the bottom and top mattress for a nice three layer comfort factor. :)

I personally have no problems with the "mattress" they give you. Sleeping pad is a more appropriate name than mattress though. I do a lot of backpacking though so I am not picky. Even though I can sleep like a baby pretty much anywhere I can see the lack of value that other people will see in the current setup. I mean the bedding is just above that of a hostel. The bigger issue than the sleeping pad is the pillows and blanket. The blankets are not warm at all and the pillow barely has any loft in it. Amtrak wants to call the sleeping car First Class, but the bedding is nowhere near that.

I find the pads very comfortable. But then I like a real firm mattress. I sleep fine on the trains but I always use earplugs to keep the noise down.

I like a firm mattress myself so I find them to be adequate. Both times I've taken sleepers once I got used to the motion of the train I slept quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back