Coast Starlight To Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot1181

Lead Service Attendant
Would like to connect to Southwest Chief but not stay in Los Angeles. Anywhere decent to overnight in Santa Barbara or Oxnard close to the train station?

Would like to connect to Southwest Chief but not stay in Los Angeles. Anywhere decent to overnight in Santa Barbara or Oxnard close to the train station?
Santa Barbara is a good spot to stop. Stayed in both the Holiday Inn Express and the Santa Barbara Hotel, both fine and both very close to the station.

I'll second Santa Barbara as a nice place to stay. All of the hotels within walking distance of the depot are nice, and there is a lot to do and look at downtown and at the beach. There are at least 3 Surfliners that will get you to LA in time to meet the Chief.

Yeah Santa Barbara is good. Although I believe you could really enjoy downtown LA if you stay at the right hotel (I LOVED the Westin Bonaventure... probably could get it on hotwire for $70).

Yeah Santa Barbara is good. Although I believe you could really enjoy downtown LA if you stay at the right hotel (I LOVED the Westin Bonaventure... probably could get it on hotwire for $70).
I enjoyed the Westin Boneventure too. Large hotel, but situated in Downtown LA, not a long ways from LA Union Station.

Santa Barbara has a lot of boutique hotels if that's your preference.

Santa Barbara sounds good. Last time the Coast Starlight was late. We ended up getting hastled and potentially mugged on our quick walk to the Metro Plaza, which was no treat either. Have a chance to take an AGR back to Cincinnati on the Southwest Chief or Texas Eagle. Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to suggest San Luis Obispo. It's a neat town tucked away in some hills. I walked all over downtown which is near the station. You can catch a Surfliner or Ambus to Santa Barbara to catch another Surfliner depending on what time you want to go.

San Luis Obispo is a couple of hours north of Santa Barbara, so you'd have to take a relatively early Surfliner to get to LA- I really don't know the schedule. On the other hand, you could stay at the Madonna Inn-

Madonn Inn Link

My 4 year old loved it when we ate in the restaurant, and the room are a hoot!

Madonna Inn rooms

I suggest the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza in Ventura. A short walk from the Amtrak stop. Right on the ocean and a short walk to the pier. Great place to eat is Eric Ericson's on the pier, or the Aloha Steakhouse next to the hotel. All rooms have an ocean view. This place is a hidden gem.

Wb

I suggest the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza in Ventura. A short walk from the Amtrak stop. Right on the ocean and a short walk to the pier. Great place to eat is Eric Ericson's on the pier, or the Aloha Steakhouse next to the hotel. All rooms have an ocean view. This place is a hidden gem.
Wb
Short walk may be an understatement. It is directly across a two lane access street from the hotel. Step off the curb, cross the street and on to the hotel sidewalk. Hotel was/is very nice, haven't stayed there in several years, but it still looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES!! Jeesh that entire area is creepy after midnight. I was trying to go to the dragon inn Best Western and had to walk (mile away and the taxi's didn't want such a small run) and I saw things I never wanted to see. Like I said in my last post, I have only good things to say about the Westin Bonaventure even though it's not the hotest property on tripadvisor. Nothin' like swimming in pure downtown LA under the skyscrapers and eating at midnight in a subway. Pure heaven.

Anyone on here ever use hotwire or priceline? It's the only way I'll go with hotels now. Cannot say enough good things. Ever used it spots?

Santa Barbara sounds good. Last time the Coast Starlight was late. We ended up getting hastled and potentially mugged on our quick walk to the Metro Plaza, which was no treat either. Have a chance to take an AGR back to Cincinnati on the Southwest Chief or Texas Eagle. Thanks for the advice.

Wb
Short walk may be an understatement. It is directly across a two lane access street from the hotel. Step off the curb, cross the street and on to the hotel sidewalk. Hotel was/is very nice, haven't stayed there in several years, but it still looks good.
One problem for the OP. The Coast Starlight doesn't stop in Ventura. Only the Surfiners do.

I second the late arrival/Metro Plaza problem. A couple of years ago, getting in at 2am, had a couple of local denizens try to "help" me with my luggage on the walk (at the Chevron on the triangle, to be specific). That was the "never again" moment for me. I've also had taxis refuse to take me there and to the Best Western.

My solution was to priceline into major hotels downtown (Westin Bonaventure, Marriott, New Otani, etc). With priceline, the cost is pretty comparable to the Metro Plaza. And the taxis pretty much have to take you to those hotels. The downside is the cabfare is around $10. Best option for me was the Biltmore, because going back to LAUPT, the Pershing Square subway station is a short walk from Grand to Hill. For the Marriott and Bonaventure, took the dash to the civic center subway station.

If you are arriving on the Starlight and want to stay out of town and come down in the morning, I second Santa Barbara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back