Coast Starlight **LIVE** trip report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane said:
Allen Dee said:
I just heard the horn.  The Starlight will be in the Santa Barbara station before this message posts.
The train stopped at 6:48. Glad you could hear our train! We will be getting off at Oxnard, so 45 more minutes till touch down.

Thanks for participating in our live trip report. Now you hearing the horn is truly live! :D
I'll bet you didn't know that one of the forum members (me) lives just a few blocks from the train's route. Let us know about all the technical details (cell phone, lap top, GPS) of making this trip report.

I think this is a first. I have never heard of a live, real-time trip report before. I am considering doing this for my next train trip, and I will also have the added feature of a scanner.

and I'm in Ventura for the week. :)

Speaking of posting photos, making some sort of forum supplement site to do that has been on my list for a while. In the meantime, Diane, did you want to email them and I can stick them somewhere here?

Allen Dee said:
I'll bet you didn't know that one of the forum members (me) lives just a few blocks from the train's route. Let us know about all the technical details (cell phone, lap top, GPS) of making this trip report.
I think this is a first. I have never heard of a live, real-time trip report before. I am considering doing this for my next train trip, and I will also have the added feature of a scanner.
Make that 2 forum members as I live 5 blocks from the Sacramento Depot, and 4 blocks from the 7th street curve prior to (on 14) entering the station. B)

I'll bet you didn't know that one of the forum members (me) lives just a few blocks from the train's route.  Let us know about all the technical details (cell phone, lap top, GPS) of making this trip report.
I think this is a first.  I have never heard of a live, real-time trip report before.  I am considering doing this for my next train trip, and I will also have the added feature of a scanner.
Have a look at the thread again - we added photos - one is of the mobile office setup. Ours used a VerizonWireless CDMA Express Network PC Card, but there are several phones that with the right cable (usually a USB cable) the phone will act as a modem just like the card is. email me if you want any more specific information

The 1x CDMA service provides connectivity comparable to dial-up, most times we averaged 57k. at times it was slower. The frustrating thing was we would move in and out of service areas so quickly that one moment we'b be surfing, and the next the connection would drop. :(

Diane - one fab trip report!! :D :D You one upped everyone here!! :lol: Pics were great; esp the one showing computer hookup.

Diane said:
engine.JPG
Engine 119
Boy, something really took a bite out of poor old 119. :eek:

Diane, we are all enjoying this live report. Makes us feel like we are there , too., horn blowing and all. Glad your husband is enjoying it, too. That must be especially rewarding for you.

Oh by the way, we saddle up again on the 31st for the trip home, so stay tuned!

AlanB said:
Boy, something really took a bite out of poor old 119. :eek:
I wish I had taken a picture, because when I saw 115 in Portland last week, it had a big chunk of primer on the nose on the same side as the gash in 119. I wonder if the damage came from the same incident.

Not likely. The units would've had to been coupled up elephant style (they're usually back to back on the Starlight), and even if they were there'd probably be a big long gash down the side of the engine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back