Coast Starlight incident 12/27/13 - struck someone or not?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on dude, don't do this. Saying there wasn't (yet) and article because they were insignificant isn't disrespectful, it's just a matter of numbers. DA said it best...
Did I ever say "there wasn't (yet) and article because they were insignificant"? No. All I said is that it is sad when a fellow human being gets injured. Any human being.

May I ask why/how you misread my post? I would sincerely like to know how I can be more to the point and not be misinterpreted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though it's a touchy issue, I'd like to point out that there have been serious discussions about how much the media should/shouldn't cover things such as "suicide by train" incidents. There are a few reasons, mainly surrounding a "copycat problem" (where one suicide inspires one or more others in a similar manner), and I remember reading somewhere that there's a push to get papers to adopt a "best practice" of limiting coverage...not out of insensitivity to the deceased or their family, but to prevent those ripple effects (which have been noticed on multiple occasions).

With that said, a lack of (immediate) coverage could be down to any number of things, including but not limited to:
-A local paper policy of some sort (such as not running the story until next of kin can be notified);
-A request by the family of the deceased;
-The local press being otherwise occupied;
-Slow website updating over the holiday;
-The incident occurring at such a time as to miss an update deadline; or
-Slow communication between law enforcement and the press.

The last four are increasingly relevant in smaller towns and rural area (Klamath Falls only having around 20,000 residents), where something might well get missed until the end-of-week police blotter. However, any of the six options can account for a story either being slow to surface or not surfacing at all.

Come on dude, don't do this. Saying there wasn't (yet) and article because they were insignificant isn't disrespectful, it's just a matter of numbers. DA said it best...
Did I ever say "there wasn't (yet) and article because they were insignificant"? No. All I said is that it is sad when a fellow human being gets injured. Any human being. May I ask why/how you misread my post? I would sincerely like to know how I can be more to the point and not be misinterpreted.
I took you saying "All people should be respected as human beings." as a claim that we were disrespecting this person by saying they were "insignificant". I guess that was off base, sorry. I'm not sure how you could have worded it differently, it's just hard to read intent over the internet.

Did I ever say "there wasn't (yet) and article because they were insignificant"? No. All I said is that it is sad when a fellow human being gets injured. Any human being. May I ask why/how you misread my post? I would sincerely like to know how I can be more to the point and not be misinterpreted.
I took you saying "All people should be respected as human beings." as a claim that we were disrespecting this person by saying they were "insignificant". I guess that was off base, sorry. I'm not sure how you could have worded it differently, it's just hard to read intent over the internet.
Accepted.

Though it's a touchy issue, I'd like to point out that there have been serious discussions about how much the media should/shouldn't cover things such as "suicide by train" incidents. There are a few reasons, mainly surrounding a "copycat problem" (where one suicide inspires one or more others in a similar manner), and I remember reading somewhere that there's a push to get papers to adopt a "best practice" of limiting coverage...not out of insensitivity to the deceased or their family, but to prevent those ripple effects (which have been noticed on multiple occasions).

With that said, a lack of (immediate) coverage could be down to any number of things, including but not limited to:

-A local paper policy of some sort (such as not running the story until next of kin can be notified);

-A request by the family of the deceased;

-The local press being otherwise occupied;

-Slow website updating over the holiday;

-The incident occurring at such a time as to miss an update deadline; or

-Slow communication between law enforcement and the press.

The last four are increasingly relevant in smaller towns and rural area (Klamath Falls only having around 20,000 residents), where something might well get missed until the end-of-week police blotter. However, any of the six options can account for a story either being slow to surface or not surfacing at all.
Thanks.

Anderson is right. Since the incident occurred in an out of the way area, and during the Christmas-NewYear's holidays, it could be the local press missed the incident due to a lack of staffing on their part or similar personnel problems at the local law enforcement agencies. It doesn't mean the victim wasn't important, it was just the circumstances. The newspaper I worked at for many years usually did not report suicides unless the suicide committer made a public spectacle of his/her demise. Jumping in front of a train would fall under the public spectacle clause.

I agree that NO ONE is insignificant! Anyone looking out the windows of that train during the daylight hours (before the thick fog set in) would have seen the transients gathered together under bridges sharing stories and enjoying the camaraderie of others. A person with a keen eye would have even noticed in a clearing of one of the train yards, the dead tree sprig stuck in the ground ... silver cans hung on various branches to add some sparkle and attempt to resemble a Christmas tree. Being less fortunate than you or I (whether by choice or by harsh reality) does not make these individuals any less significant. My heart goes out to them, especially during this cold season when the rest of us take warmth and shelter for granted.

For those of you who may have been inconvenienced by the delay, or perhaps even missed a connection... I do sympathize with you, but remember that when things seem to not be going right they could be worse. Be thankful that you are not the one who might have had one too many to notice an oncoming train in the distance. Be thankful that your friends and loved ones were not lost from you forever that night.

To the Amtrak staff on our train... You did everything by the book. The train's speed was steady, the train sounded it's horn well before the crossing (even back in car 12 we could hear it in the distance ahead), and when the incident occurred you came to a prompt yet not jolting stop. Personally, I was impressed. Your announcements sounded fairly calm as to not alarm passengers and the general term "incident with a trespasser on the tracks" is a good way to keep adults informed without scaring younger passengers. There really is nothing I can see which could have been done differently to make the situation any better.... and sadly, nothing that could have been done differently on the train to avoid the incident.

As for myself... I actually was quite ill by the time the incident occurred and ended up de-boarding at our next stop in Klamath Falls. (An ENOURMOUS thank you to the baggage attendant who retrieved my luggage for me even though it was set to continue to San Jose, and to the Amtrak employee who held the hotel van for me so I was able to quickly get somewhere I could lay down to try and feel better!!) I spent two nights in a local hotel recovering my health (for the record... not motion sickness), and there was no mention on the local television news or in the local paper. Thank you to those of you who made mention to the Herald and requested this be covered.

Here is the only story I could find... being posted the following Monday I must assume it's in response to the requests for more information:

http://www.heraldandnews.com/breaking/article_2c7ebb82-717a-11e3-b4bb-001a4bcf887a.html

Our thoughts and prayers are with Monnie Mann Weeks Jr., his friends, and his family.

I agree that NO ONE is insignificant! Anyone looking out the windows of that train during the daylight hours (before the thick fog set in) would have seen the transients gathered together under bridges sharing stories and enjoying the camaraderie of others. A person with a keen eye would have even noticed in a clearing of one of the train yards, the dead tree sprig stuck in the ground ... silver cans hung on various branches to add some sparkle and attempt to resemble a Christmas tree. Being less fortunate than you or I (whether by choice or by harsh reality) does not make these individuals any less significant. My heart goes out to them, especially during this cold season when the rest of us take warmth and shelter for granted.

For those of you who may have been inconvenienced by the delay, or perhaps even missed a connection... I do sympathize with you, but remember that when things seem to not be going right they could be worse. Be thankful that you are not the one who might have had one too many to notice an oncoming train in the distance. Be thankful that your friends and loved ones were not lost from you forever that night.

To the Amtrak staff on our train... You did everything by the book. The train's speed was steady, the train sounded it's horn well before the crossing (even back in car 12 we could hear it in the distance ahead), and when the incident occurred you came to a prompt yet not jolting stop. Personally, I was impressed. Your announcements sounded fairly calm as to not alarm passengers and the general term "incident with a trespasser on the tracks" is a good way to keep adults informed without scaring younger passengers. There really is nothing I can see which could have been done differently to make the situation any better.... and sadly, nothing that could have been done differently on the train to avoid the incident.

As for myself... I actually was quite ill by the time the incident occurred and ended up de-boarding at our next stop in Klamath Falls. (An ENOURMOUS thank you to the baggage attendant who retrieved my luggage for me even though it was set to continue to San Jose, and to the Amtrak employee who held the hotel van for me so I was able to quickly get somewhere I could lay down to try and feel better!!) I spent two nights in a local hotel recovering my health (for the record... not motion sickness), and there was no mention on the local television news or in the local paper. Thank you to those of you who made mention to the Herald and requested this be covered.

Here is the only story I could find... being posted the following Monday I must assume it's in response to the requests for more information:

http://www.heraldandnews.com/breaking/article_2c7ebb82-717a-11e3-b4bb-001a4bcf887a.html

Our thoughts and prayers are with Monnie Mann Weeks Jr., his friends, and his family.
Beautifully put.

I would like to mention a few facts about the night a trespasser was struck by a train on the night after Christmas. This was without a doubt the most scariest and freighting night of my life.

I was awaken by my mother--she yelled "get up, Junior got hit by the train!" My mind couldn't think straight....I ran out the door with my 4yr old and rushed my two daughters into the van.

My heart knew it was my son....it was chaotic and people were crying and yelling . I laid down in the rocks to look under the train ...his body lay lifeless just feet from me.

I screamed "is it my son?" And a few familiar faces were weeping and nodded . A force of what seemed like a thousand punches sank into my mid-section. My throat felt as if it had cement poured down it.

An old friend of mine yelled for me to climb through the rail cars.....I never knew they were that high off the ground. Stepping over and ducking under big cables. I ran to my son and couldn't believe he was lying with his legs straight and his arms stretched out and his head was tilted slightly down but he had his eyes slightly open. I laid down by him with my arm hugging his chest (he was a pretty big man) but what I recall was holding my young son that night in the rocks....not much older than five or six. I kissed his face and soothed his soft black hair....and I kept whispering out loud "mommas here now son".

Someone kept saying he has a faint pulse....but I believe he was with God from the moment the train took his life. He barely had a scratch to see when I scanned his body for injuries. His knuckles were scuffed and a scratch on his forehead and nose. I know for certain that this was no suicide.

I believe this date for him to be called home was set in stone from the instant he was born. Thinking back through his short life I can see how his kind heart touched all who met him and how he had a heart of a happy child and a warm smile that would. light up an entire room. He had a connection to his native people and a love for Mother earth. God certainly had a hand on my baby that night....the train struck his body at 60mph .....God didn't let his body get mangled or torn apart.....he took his body and laid it gently in the rocks. His lil'boy voice saying I tried to get home to you and grams. I whispered again in my baby's ear..." it's okay son..it's okay to go...go soar with the eagles...be on your journey" with one last kiss I pulled the sheet over his face and left his body in the ER.

I love you Monnie Mann (my son's name).

I must hear the train whistle about 15 times a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine your pain because i cannot allow myself to begin.

Agreed.

I was with my Aunt and Uncle within a few hours of my cousin (their son) being killed in a car accident. One of the worst experiences of my life.

I hope that our petty argument over "insignificance" didn't bother you.

To trespassers mom

May you find peace in the comfort of you faith.

May you find joy in the memories of the love and caring of who you lost

May you forgive any are callous, who did not know your son.

May you find healing by speaking about your actions that terrible night. Thank you for posting.

My thoughts are with you and your family

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing with us. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Peace,

Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back