Coast Starlight Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with SteveSTX on this one. Amtrak should at least have planned ahead of the BC access with putting chairs in the downstairs of the PPC. That's always been wasted space.

surfgeek - not all that many years ago the wine tasting was FREE for sleeper class passengers. Now they charge for it. The downgrades in overall service keep coming :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Original memo -- some adjustments have been made and hopefully passed on to crews:

:The Coach Train Attendant will be issued a book of coupons.

The $6.00 Food and Beverage Coupon can be redeemed in the Dining Car, Lounge or Parlour Car. Valid on the day of travel only.

Wi Fi access for checking e-mail and intranet access ( no movie streaming).

Business Class (BC) travelers will have access to the Parlour Car for wine tasting.

The TA will give each BC passenger (2) bottles of water from the Diner.

BC seating is reserved exclusively for ticketed BC travelers.

BC Customers will have access to the Metropolitan Lounges along the route.
So that makes it seem like the food coupon can't be used on Day 2 of an overnight trip?!

Day 2 of an overnight trip is still "the[a] day of travel". I'm going to go with it meaning that you can't save the voucher to use on a different trip, since that's the meaning that actually makes some sense (not to suggest that Amtrak always chooses to make sense, please don't accuse me of claiming that!).

Another way Amtrak is diminishing the perks of sleeper travel. Every time I've been on CS the good seats (swivel chairs) in the PPC have been full most of the trip. Now add all the business class passengers and it will really be crowded.

So I guess I'm happy it's hard to find in the booking system.
As stated in prior posts and in the memo, it appears BC passengers will ONLY be able to access the PPC for wine tasting. Given that it is unlikely that many or all BC passengers will partake in this (many people have no interest in wine tasting) and that it is only for this event, I would think it would be unlikely if crowding becomes a real issue, or at least not any more of an issue than it already is.

Email from Amtrak:

Experience the beauty of Business class on the Coast Starlight

On board the Coast Starlight® you can always expect great service, style and amenities as you travel between Los Angeles and Seattle aboard what is widely regarded as one of the most scenic train routes in America. And now through September 30, Business class service will be available on the Coast Starlight.

New Business class service includes:
•Reserved, comfortable Business class seating (limited availability)
•Complimentary Wi-Fi access
•Two complimentary bottles of water
•$6.00 food credit voucher redeemable on board
•Invitation to the Pacific Parlour car wine tastings events (an additional $7.50 fee)

•Same-day access to the Amtrak Metropolitan LoungeSM in Los Angeles and Portland

Be sure to check out all your options when booking your travel to make your trip aboard the Coast Starlight this summer even more comfortable and productive.

Thanks Charlie, this looks like a good idea that can help save the PPC and the Starlight as we know it!

I just wish they would put the Biz Class seats downstairs in the PPC to replace the theater, and that King Street Station gets a Metro Lounge!

Thanks Charlie, this looks like a good idea that can help save the PPC and the Starlight as we know it!

I just wish they would put the Biz Class seats downstairs in the PPC to replace the theater, and that King Street Station gets a Metro Lounge!
With PPC access for only Wine Tasting and also the fact it does not have restroom facilities, it would probably turn into a logistical nightmare. BC passengers would have to be allowed in the sleeper or have to go through the dining car the SSL(Some facilities seem to be kept locked or broken) to coach to go use the facilities.

Are the business class seats the same as a coach seat? Also, is it a dedicated car near the DR and sleeping cars?

I hope this isn't going to pack em into the Parlour Car :angry: They really should have stripped the seats out of the lower level "movie theatre" which is rarely used and installed bench seats or swivel chairs. The PPC needs more seating.
From what I understand PPC is for Wine Tasting only. Not to hangout.

With a sleeper ticket, I have eaten breakfast in the PPC, and I have sat in one of the easy chairs and watched the Portland neighborhoods where I lived as an impoverished college student roll by. If only I could go back to that guy and tell him, "Things will get better." :)

But are you asking, is business class only allowed into the PPC during scheduled wine tastings? If so, that is not much of an incentive.

Are the business class seats the same as a coach seat? Also, is it a dedicated car near the DR and sleeping cars?
Seats are identical to coach seats in Superliners coaches. The Business Class section is the Lower Level ONLY of the first coach behind the Superliner Lounge Car.

I hope this isn't going to pack em into the Parlour Car :angry: They really should have stripped the seats out of the lower level "movie theatre" which is rarely used and installed bench seats or swivel chairs. The PPC needs more seating.
From what I understand PPC is for Wine Tasting only. Not to hangout.

With a sleeper ticket, I have eaten breakfast in the PPC, and I have sat in one of the easy chairs and watched the Portland neighborhoods where I lived as an impoverished college student roll by. If only I could go back to that guy and tell him, "Things will get better." :)

But are you asking, is business class only allowed into the PPC during scheduled wine tastings? If so, that is not much of an incentive.
Yes for wine tasting only.

Thinking about this since I have the four Select Plus one-class upgrade coupons. However, I looked it over, and the terms say not valid on the Coast Starlight. However, I'm thinking maybe it's because there was no business-class on the Coast Starlight when the coupons became available in February. Anyone have an idea.

Mostly I was thinking of just cashing them in for a short trip, where we would just use the voucher in the dining car. Otherwise there aren't any other routes around here with business class unless I'm taking the Pacific Surfline.

I just checked and found I could book BC for this month, but not for next summer when I am travelling. Does anyone have info on the plans for next year?

Business Class on the Coast Starlight has been extended indefinitely and is now bookable past September 30. Business Class is also being expanded during the Thanksgiving and Christmas peaks to include the entire Superliner coach immediately adjacent to the Sightseer Lounge. The dates are November 20 - 29 and December 18 - January 3, 2016.

Hello, it was rumored a while ago, that Business Class would be dedicated to an entire Superliner Coach on the Coast Starlight....has that occurred?

Or, is the current set-up still that small section on the lower level of one of the coaches?

If so, where in the consist is the Business class car located? (or section, if not fully dedicated).

Thanks

The recent videos I have seen indicate that a coach has been moved to run in between the lounge and the dinner, separate from the other coaches.

Has anyone figured out where WIFI is available for Business Class on the Coast Starlight? Is it available at your seat? Or only in the PPC (which is only available for BC during the wine tasting, and for an additional fee, not to mention that the PPCs are currently out of service)?

Thanks for any info! :)

The attendant gave me a WiFi password. I tried to use it once (from my seat) and it didn't work. Didn't need it that day, so I didn't try any more. But I could connect to the access point from my seat, so it appears it's set up for that.

Back