Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the baseball caps have some logo on them. Should I get a generic baseball cap, a newsboy hat, or something else?

And in addition to Sarah's advice, let me state that there would be no problem with wearing a baseball cap with a logo on it (even if it's the San Francisco Giants logo), so there's no need to buy something generic -- just bring what you already have.

And in addition to Sarah's advice, let me state that there would be no problem with wearing a baseball cap with a logo on it (even if it's the San Francisco Giants logo), so there's no need to buy something generic -- just bring what you already have.

St. Louis Cardinals and Green Bay Packers hats may get you sneered at, but you won't be stopped from wearing them.

Closest is that Gold Coast hot dog in the food court of Union Station - my 4 star rating

Portillos (my 3 star rating) is 5 blocks south on Clinton - Google Map LINK - - -
Top center is Union Station - bottom center look for Portillos about 2 blocks from the Holiday Inn
Ideal when staying at the closest hotel to Union Station

Google Maps

While one can sometimes get lucky with a downtown hotel, especially if there are no conventions in town, personally I'd look at hotels out near the airports. They tend to be much cheaper and you can still ride the subway/L to get to those locations, saving money over needing to use METRA. So far I've only stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn out by O'Hare. On other occasions I've lucked out and/or used points to stay downtown.

So I really can't help to much more than that.

Airport hotels are generally less expensive than downtown hotels - - -

Arriving Amtrak -

Blue line goes to O'Hare about $5 and an hour long ride - then the hotel shuttle -
Blue line Clinton stop 2 blocks south of Union Station - 1 block north of Holiday Inn

Orange line goes to Midway about $2.50 and a shorter half hour ride - BUT not as many hotels close by
Orange line cross the Chicago River (Adams or Jackson) and catch it at midblock at Quincy
Optional you can use the Blue line cross the river and connect with the Orange line

There are other better (expensive) ways to go to an airport hotel limo taxi

Stay just out of the Downtown Loop (Chicago River junction) for less expensive rates;

I have always been pleased with the Hampton Inn on Jefferson - West Loop 5 blocks from Union 3 from Ogilive
And slightly more $$ the Holiday Inn 3.5 blocks south on Clinton

Do your homework research for lodging and hotel space - when there is a major athletic event the hotels are
a problem as well as standing room only on the metra rail and the "L"

And of course your rates and opinions --- YMMV ---

Airport hotels are generally less expensive than downtown hotels - - -

Arriving Amtrak -

Blue line goes to O'Hare about $5 and an hour long ride - then the hotel shuttle -
Blue line Clinton stop 2 blocks south of Union Station - 1 block north of Holiday Inn

Orange line goes to Midway about $2.50 and a shorter half hour ride - BUT not as many hotels close by
Orange line cross the Chicago River (Adams or Jackson) and catch it at midblock at Quincy
Optional you can use the Blue line cross the river and connect with the Orange line

There are other better (expensive) ways to go to an airport hotel limo taxi

Stay just out of the Downtown Loop (Chicago River junction) for less expensive rates;

I have always been pleased with the Hampton Inn on Jefferson - West Loop 5 blocks from Union 3 from Ogilive
And slightly more $$ the Holiday Inn 3.5 blocks south on Clinton

Do your homework research for lodging and hotel space - when there is a major athletic event the hotels are
a problem as well as standing room only on the metra rail and the "L"

And of course your rates and opinions --- YMMV ---
I like the Embassy Suites in River North on State right by the Red Line Grand stop. I lived there for 6 weeks after an apartment building fire several years ago. Good rates in winter usually.

I will say this about the airport area. One, the $5 for the O'Hare trip in for inbound only, for going to the airport it is still just $2.50. Also, if you stayed at a hotel out by O'Hare you would end up using the Rosemont or Cumberland Blue Line stops, not the airport stop.

I like the Embassy Suites in River North on State right by the Red Line Grand stop. I lived there for 6 weeks after an apartment building fire several years ago. Good rates in winter usually.

I will say this about the airport area. One, the $5 for the O'Hare trip in for inbound only, for going to the airport it is still just $2.50. Also, if you stayed at a hotel out by O'Hare you would end up using the Rosemont or Cumberland Blue Line stops, not the airport stop.

Thanks for the info:
Have done the Midway Airport to/from Union Station multiple times moving the 261 equipment to and from Chicago from MSP.
The O'Hare to Union Station a few times but never the return (air fares are higher to/from O'Hare)
I am not terribly thrilled by the long (Blue line) train trip from the airport to downtown all those stops - even the Orange line is a bit much

Have compared airport hotel rates with those of downtown and then the trade off being where the action is and timely getting there

Thanks for this thread (I realize that it is "old")

If I go with my "more sensible" plan :) , I will need an overnight stay in Chicago. My initial plan is to just look at Trivago or Airbnb to see anything close to Union Station (may still go that route), but good to know other options as well.

Is it worth visiting the large McDonalds International and/or Starbucks Reserve Roastery at their headquarters in Chicago?

Is it worth visiting the large McDonalds International and/or Starbucks Reserve Roastery at their headquarters in Chicago?
The Starbucks Reserve was actually pretty cool. I was kind of against it, because I hate crowds and it was close to opening weekend, but @jebr talked me into it. :) We went Leap Year weekend 2020, just before Covid shut everything down.

It's set up like an old, Edison-style lab. The employees dress accordingly, and everything has that brassy look to it. There's also a rooftop area where you get a pretty good view of Michigan Ave.

The Starbucks Reserve was actually pretty cool. I was kind of against it, because I hate crowds and it was close to opening weekend, but @jebr talked me into it. :) We went Leap Year weekend 2020, just before Covid shut everything down.

It's set up like an old, Edison-style lab. The employees dress accordingly, and everything has that brassy look to it. There's also a rooftop area where you get a pretty good view of Michigan Ave.

I went there a second time during the 2021 Gathering. If you're big into Starbucks and/or want to try some unique coffee drinks, it's worth the stop. The inside is really neat, though I've noticed there's often some long lines during peak times. It's definitely a bit touristy, but it's still fun if you're into that sort of thing.

I would look at their website and decide if it sounds interesting to you. If it sounds interesting, I'd suggest going; if it sounds meh, I'd skip it. It's not something I'd say everyone has to do when they're in Chicago, but I find it pretty fun for me so I like going there.

Is Manny's Deli at 1141 South Jefferson Street a safe area for lunch?
I have walked there before during the lunch hour on a weekend. I felt completely safe. However, it is not a populated neighborhood. It's more light industrial. So you are a bit exposed in the sense that there aren't other people around if anything does happen. But I would happily make the walk again.

IMG_5252.jpg

Last edited:
Google Map for reference -

Google Maps

Zoom In or Out for more less detail

Union Station top center
Manny's bottom center

Yes Clinton or Jefferson is better than Canal

Daylight hours most definitely
Hours of night questionable - it's Chicago

Now as for eating and choice can't offer much there - - -

Gold Coast Dogs are good (I had a hot dog there on Monday). Two other choices, if you'd like to stretch your legs a little, are Lukes (about three blocks east on Jackson, just east of Giordanos) and Al's Beef (about three blocks west of Union Station on Adams). Al's Beef also has the best Italian beef sandwich I've had in years, and I think also sells a Maxwell Street-style Polish.

Get Thee behind me, Satan!
Since this is a 11 year Old thread, Unfortunately Gold Coast in Union Station and the Al's Roast Beef on Adams are both Gone with the Wind!🥺

Since this is a 11 year Old thread, Unfortunately Gold Coast in Union Station and the Al's Roast Beef on Adams are both Gone with the Wind!🥺

When did Gold Coast close? I swear that I had a hot dog from there just a couple of years ago… Do they have any other locations?

Back