Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThayerATM

OBS Chief
I've been to Chicago's Union Station often enough that I should probably have already figured this out, but I have a terrible sense of direction... :rolleyes:

Is the GREAT HALL at street level, or is it one level down? :unsure:

I can get from the incoming train (LSL) to the Metropolitan Lounge with no problem, and I think that's one level below street level. I can even find that single escelator up to the food court with minimal problem. I can find my way easily from the Metropolitan Lounge to the Great Hall. However, that walk doesn't seem to rise enough (in my mind) to get me up to street level. :blink:

Yet, when I leave the Metropolital Lounge and walk to the long escelators up to what I assume is Canal street, it appears that the entrance to the GREAT HALL is just across the street. <_<

What am I missing? :eek:hboy:

If you ever saw the movie, "The Untouchables", you would know the answer. Remember that big scene filmed on the grand stairway?

Yes, it is below street level. There is a passagway below the street to connect the Great Hall with the boarding concourses. I believe that there may be also be a ramp to account for a slight difference in their levels.

Here's a map of the concourse....If I remember right, you have to go up a flight of stairs from the Great Hall to reach street level.....

http://www.chicagounionstation.com/map_concourse.html
Yeah, I already have that map. :hi: It sort of DOES imply that the GREAT HALL is on that same level below street level as the Metropolitan lounge and the tracks, and it's far enough away from the Metropilitan Lounge be across (underneath) Canal Street. :huh: It also shows (in tiny print) the escalator up to Canal Street in the middle <_< of the map. :cool:

I don't remember what's on the marble facade of the building across Canal street from what is now Chicago Union Station, but I seem to remember it being "Chicago Union Station" or "Union Station" or something like that.

If the GREAT HALL is, indeed, "below ground level", what's on the street level of that great old building across Canal Street?

When I'm up on street level I'm usually up there to go over to CVS to get some beer, or to smoke a cigarette, or walking 2 & 1/2 blocks to get some super pizza over on Clinton Street. :lol:

If you ever saw the movie, "The Untouchables", you would know the answer. Remember that big scene filmed on the grand stairway?

Yes, it is below street level. There is a passagway below the street to connect the Great Hall with the boarding concourses. I believe that there may be also be a ramp to account for a slight difference in their levels.
Yeah, I've seen the movie. :mellow: But I wasn't paying attention to the station when I first saw the movie a hundred years ago. :lol: Actually, you've probably caused me to watch the movie again this afternoon on Netflix. :D This time I'll pay attention to the station. :cool:

...There is a passagway below the street to connect the Great Hall with the boarding concourses. I believe that there may be also be a ramp to account for a slight difference in their levels.
That's exactly true. We were there this past Monday, and I wandered whilst waiting for our departure...

The east west streets go up hill as you head east. If you enter off of Clinton you go through a hallway and down a short flight of stairs. The untouchable steps take to Jackson iirc which has continued it's upward path to the east.

As you exit the great hall and go down the ramp you pass underneath canal. The Amtrak side is one level below the street.

CUS is really two buildings, one on each side of Canal Street.

The part over the ticket area is now an office building. It was, at one time a great old building much as the Great Hall part is now. I remember as a teenager walking along that building with all the steam engines down below. They had vents over the train sheds for all the smoke and steam.

Here is a view from down Jackson toward Lou Mitchell's looking NE.

GreatHallExterior.jpg

And, looking up those famous stairs toward canal Street.

Stairs.jpg

CUS is really two buildings, one on each side of Canal Street.

The part over the ticket area is now an office building. It was, at one time a great old building much as the Great Hall part is now. I remember as a teenager walking along that building with all the steam engines down below. They had vents over the train sheds for all the smoke and steam.

Here is a view from down Jackson toward Lou Mitchell's looking NE.

GreatHallExterior.jpg

And, looking up those famous stairs toward canal Street.

Stairs.jpg

If you look at the first picture you can enter the Great Hall at the doorway behind the blue and white taxi cab and walk done a short hallway and done approximately 3 steps (or use a handicap ramp) and you will be at the southwest corner of the Great Hall. The Clinton street exits are maybe 3 feet above the floor level but the Clinton street exits are much higher as the streets are elevated and it is uphill as you go toward the river,

When you board a train in CUS if you can look east and you will see the Chicago river. The riverbank is the natural ground level in this area of Chicago. and that is the track level in CUS.

Thanks for the pictures Tom and Steve for your explaination.

Oldtimer 2

EDIT...nah, you're right; it's a cab.... (I zoomed in for a closer look). But Chicago's finest do drive blue and whites I believe...

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
....If you look at the first picture you can enter the Great Hall at the doorway behind the blue and white taxi cab...
That's a Chicago cop car...not a taxicab...

:p
Cop Car or Taxi Cab - what's the difference?
huh.gif

They both provide you rides - but one may not be to where you want to go!
ohmy.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I can tell you from experience that the biggest difference is that on the taxi the inside back door handles will work!

:help: :blush: :wacko:

Thanks for those historic views! You can definitely recognize the similarity in architectural features with the older Pennsylvania Station, New York. The Pennsy must have had the biggest financial stake among the original owners...even the signals were of the Pennsy type. Strange since the 'Q' and the Milwaukee had a lot more trains in and out due to their more extensive suburban service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back