Chicago Union Station: My View Based on My Experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best Chicago Boarding Procedure:

Use a RedCap and Ride to your Car on their Cart! Best $5 Investment you can make @ Union Station!

Period!
No doubt! Totally agree at some large city stations! (Seattle is an exception. Very easy to board in my experience in Seattle.)

SarahZ: Great pictures of the Chicago situation. It's exactly as the photos show.

SarahZ: Great pictures of the Chicago situation. It's exactly as the photos show.
Awesome. I look forward to checking it out in person. I just have to remember to exit at Canal. It's such a habit to exit at Adams. ^_^

Only been to Chicago once and that was years ago, but I remember being very impressed with Dexter the bartender there.

I finally got to experience the new Metropolitan Lounge earlier this week. It is very spacious, compared to the old ML and the vegetables are a nice touch. It seemed to me that it was not well marked that it is restricted to sleeper and BC. The desk lady was so busy checking tickets and running into the lounge after people who walked by her desk without showing their tickets that she was not able to watch who was going into the storage room. The storage procedure in the old ML was much more secure and efficient.

I pass through about twice a year for the past 7-10. I find it about average for a large transportation hub that is anywhere near it's age. It could be better....the DARK platforms are my biggest issue.....but I think they are working on it.

The desk lady was so busy checking tickets and running into the lounge after people who walked by her desk without showing their tickets that she was not able to watch who was going into the storage room. The storage procedure in the old ML was much more secure and efficient.
As far as luggage storage, the desk attendants have a more relaxed attitude towards it in recent months. But they also do not have to watch who goes in the storage room, as it is being watched by a dedicated 'attendant' (ie, security camera). It may seem insecure, but is probably better monitored than the average airport baggage claim area when not humanly staffed.

As to whether the current arrangement is better or worse than the previous one, that's probably a matter of perception. I saw plenty of clustersomethings in the old Metropolitan Lounge around the bag check area and experienced several attendants who provided a level of customer service more on par with a detention facility than what should be an upscale travel amenity.

And before the old Lounge had the red cap storage they also had the same unmanned storage room as now. It was behind the checkin desk and was eventually outgrown resulting in the new larger manned luggage room. I've left many a bag in the older unmanned room most of the day before boarding my train. I usually flew in from Nashville early morning to catch a mid afternoon LD departure.

Back