Chicago Restaurants

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redsandal

Train Attendant
Will be taking the SWC in October w/ a layover in Chicago. Any recommendations for nearby (within 1/2 mile) restaurants?

Lou Mitchell's arguably has one of the better breakfasts in town, if you're looking for a "trucker breakfast" to keep you going through the day. Had I known about this place before my first trip to Chicago, I might even have skipped the dining car on #29, or maybe not. If you're not into fresh doughnuts, diner fare, or want to count calories, perhaps others might chime in.

If you like Greek Food:

A quick 5 block walk west of Chicago Union Station is Greek Town itself.

It's on Halstead Street and has a whole slew of different greek restaurants.

Yum.

If you like Greek Food:
A quick 5 block walk west of Chicago Union Station is Greek Town itself.

It's on Halstead Street and has a whole slew of different greek restaurants.

Yum.
It that a safe area in the daytime? Thanks!!

Nope, but its just fine after dark....ha ha.....hey its a JOKE !

There are a lot of restaurants near the station. Just go across the river and walk toward State Street.

The Sears Tower is also within walking distance.

Unfortunately, I read that Berghoff's, which was a Chicago landmark restaurant, has closed.

Another thing you can do is get on the free trolly and go anywhere in downtown Chicago. It'll even take you to Navy Pier.

I think you have to go across the river to catch the trolly, but the river is right next to the train station, so that's no big deal.

I heard the Berghoff has re-opened. Can any one confirm this? I have spent many an Amtrak lay over there eating and having a frosty adult beverage, or two.

Their (Berghoff's) website states that they are closed. Don't know when it was last updated though....

They have sort of re-opened. Not the full restaurant, but sort of a cafe type place. I think it is called the same but under new management???

Here is a blog about the place and the reopening in May, 2006.

Both Greektown, now having condo's being built in warehouse near there is a safe area. But like any area, you have to be on your guard. Do not stop when someone asks for your help or directions.

Berghoff's is under the management of the daughter or Grandaughter as she has a large catering business that she is using the top floor for.

The sign was back on when I went past just last week.

Bill

I'll need some help here. I was in Chi-town twice in the early 2000's. Had the best pizza ever. Thicker than thick. I believe it was called Gino's. If there is one around Union Station, I would be all over it. They are from Chicago and I was going to get a large for my buddy and I and they asked, "have you ever had a Gino's pizza?" And we said "no". They then showed us the size when they were giving it to another customer. It was enough to feed a small army. We ended up getting a small instead. If I remember right, we wrote on the walls with all the other graffitti. Is this place called Gino's?

Thry this link. There is one about 18 blocks from CUS.

Or, this is a good one and only a couple of blocks from CUS on Jackson. Check out their menu. Their pizzas are hugh!

Click here for a better look at Gino's East.

I believe this is one of their locations, and not necessarily the one in downtown Chicago.

MrFSS said:
They have sort of re-opened.  Not the full restaurant, but sort of a cafe type place.  I think it is called the same but under new management???
Here is a blog about the place and the reopening in May, 2006.
i looked at that blog, and though some of the menu items of the original Berghoff have returned to the cafe menu, its still very sad to me that the original restaurant isn't open anymore(i may return, but only to try some of the traditional German items that were once on the restaurant's menu). :( still though, maybe this'll finally give me an incentive to try some different German restaurants in town that i've kept wanting to go to for years, such as Chicago Brauhaus and Laschet's Inn. this talk about the Berghoff makes me also mourn the loss of the Golden Ox restaurant(another great former German restaurant), which used to be at North and Clybourn until a few years ago.

and i'm surprised that noone mentioned that west Fulton St. is a thriving area for restaurants(and not much further north than Greektown is), and is also accessible from Union Station, albeit a long walk away from CUS(and short bus ride away), though i've only been to the area a handful of times and don't know it greatly.

boratwanksta said:
still though, maybe this'll finally give me an incentive to try some different German restaurants in town that i've kept wanting to go to for years
Since this conversation has drifted away from the 1/2 mile radius of CUS...

I HIGHLY recommend Mirabell for German food. It's a few miles west of Wrigley Field on Addison. I lived in that area for several years and frequented that place. Excellent German food. I had a HORRIBLE meal at Berghoff shortly before they announced the closing. Terrible excuse for German food...the day I was there, anyway. Mirabell is not a tourist destination and is the real deal.

Back to the downtown area..if you don't mind spending some bucks, (but getting great food and impecable service) Harry Caray's at Deaborn and Kinzie is outstanding. Excellent steaks. Another favorite if you like Cajun/Southern food is Heaven on Seven at Rush and Ohio. There are also a few Brazillian style steakhouses here now...where the gaucho's slice a wide variety of meats tableside. I've been to Fogo de Chao at LaSalle and Erie. Excellent "salad bar". A meal in itself. Weber Grill restaurant is at State and Grand. Nothing terribly special and maybe a bit overpriced, but kind of a cool concept. It's an open kitchen and everything is prepared on actual charcoal grills. I could also tell you about 2 good spots for fondue...

Geez. Now I'm hungry! :) Restaurants are my favorite hobby, so if anybody is ever looking for suggestions...I'll do my best.

There's Topolobampo or Frontera Grill for authentic Mexican on Clark-at Illinois. I would walk there from Union Station, but it's a pretty good hike. Yummm...eating there next week. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back