Chicago question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flowergirl

Train Attendant
On an upcoming trip, we will be arriving in Chicago on CNO to connect with EB. We'll have about four hours or so in Chicago. Thinking about taking water taxi to see some of downtown and maybe over to Navy Pier. Anyone know how long this would take? Also my daughter heard from a friend about a pizza place called Uno Pizza that she wants to try. Is there an Uno location near the station or along the water taxi route?

I don't know that I would try to do both things. Remember it takes a little time to get out of the train station. Make sure you leave enough time to get out of the train station itself and back. It is a kind of big.

I've never been on the water taxi here, but I could give you this link for your own research: http://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/

For your info, the closest stop to Union Station is the Madison Street stop. Michigan Avenue is closest to both Navy Pier (still about a half mile further east), and to Pizzeria Uno (which is on Ohio Street, at Wabash Avenue, about two blocks north and two short blocks west of Michigan & the river). Beware, though, that depending on when you go there, there might be a long wait for a table. In your case, if you get there early enough (since you'll arrive in the morning), you should be okay. However, it does take about 45 minutes for the pizza to bake, so don't walk in there at 12:45 or 1:00 pm and expect to get back in time for your 2:15 pm train. Also note that there is also a Pizzeria Due one block north of Pizzeria Uno. Same restaurant, same menu, just two locations a block apart. If one is busy, try the other.

Similar pizza is available at Giordano's (which is a favorite of some folks on this forum, though I prefer Uno), which is closer to Union Station. Cross the river on Jackson Street, and head two blocks east (south side of the street, just west of the elevated tracks). Same deal, though. It takes about 45 minutes for them to make the pizza.

Thanks for the info. Waiting for the pizza and dining-in would take a big chunk of time, even if we got there when it opens at 11:30 a.m. Then there's the travel time on the water taxi. Would want to be back at station by 1:00. Maybe we'll just stay within walking distance of the station. Too bad, we didn't know about this pizza when we were at Union Station in D.C. about a year and half ago. According to Uno's list of locations, there is one in the D.C. station.

There's a thread on this somewhere else, but I noted that the Uno's pizza in DC isn't quite as good as the Uno's pizza in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back