Chicago-Flordia Auto Train Concept?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading thru here, and I am a bit confused (which is not very difficult to do).

I thought the reason the current east-coast Autotrain doesn't venture further north than Washington, was the the double decker Superliner cars are basically too tall for most of the NE tracks. If it wasn't for that, I would guess that the Autotrain would start in Boston, and add already loaded cars in the NYC area, in the Philly area, and finally in the Washington area, as it headed south. I would think if the cars were all ready loaded, that the stop at each of those hubs would only be about 30 minutes.

So, my question is, could Superliner cars travel the exiting rails from the Chicago area to Florida?

As to passengers, I thought a majority of the Autotrain repeat customers, were "snow birds". Honestly, for a 1 week vacation, I find it cheaper to rent a car in Florida, than pay to ship my own. However, "snow birds" go for months at a time.

So, my other question is, are there many "snow birds" in the Chicago area too? Or do older people in Chicago tend to head south, to places other than Florida?

I thought the reason the current east-coast Autotrain doesn't venture further north than Washington, was the the double decker Superliner cars are basically too tall for most of the NE tracks. If it wasn't for that, I would guess that the Autotrain would start in Boston
Yes, I think that is a good reason. The tunnels in Baltimore and New York City are too low to allow Superliner equipment. Plus the needed real estate further north (if it could be found) would cost too much. Plus to get to Boston and avoid the NYP tunnels, the 1st crossing of the Hudson River is a few miles south of Albany - 150 miles north of New York City!

I have been reading thru here, and I am a bit confused (which is not very difficult to do).
I thought the reason the current east-coast Autotrain doesn't venture further north than Washington, was the the double decker Superliner cars are basically too tall for most of the NE tracks. If it wasn't for that, I would guess that the Autotrain would start in Boston, and add already loaded cars in the NYC area, in the Philly area, and finally in the Washington area, as it headed south. I would think if the cars were all ready loaded, that the stop at each of those hubs would only be about 30 minutes.

So, my question is, could Superliner cars travel the exiting rails from the Chicago area to Florida?

As to passengers, I thought a majority of the Autotrain repeat customers, were "snow birds". Honestly, for a 1 week vacation, I find it cheaper to rent a car in Florida, than pay to ship my own. However, "snow birds" go for months at a time.

So, my other question is, are there many "snow birds" in the Chicago area too? Or do older people in Chicago tend to head south, to places other than Florida?
I think there is a potential market for Chicago to the Southeast West - Arizona specifically. I beleive the Mid-west retiree market tends to go in that direction as well as to Florida.

Plus to get to Boston and avoid the NYP tunnels, the 1st crossing of the Hudson River is a few miles south of Albany - 150 miles north of New York City!
Time to put the Poughkeepsie RR bridge back into service. :D

" Oddly, I was told that the private investors never made a profit, but Amtrak, unbelievably is doing so"

Could it be the demographics have changed since the '50s? I'm not sure if the snowbird migration was as prevalent in the '50s as it is today. Disneyworld/Epcot was not there as a summertime destination for families.

... another thing, don't discount the advent of almost universal air conditioning to make the South tolerable.

Oddly, I was told that the private investors never made a profit, but Amtrak, unbelievably is doing so. Does anyone know why that was case?
It wasn't. Auto-Train Corporation made quite a bit of profit in the early years. There problem was twofold. Firstly, they got too ambitious, and secondly, they were under capitalized.

The first issue was the result of them trying to expand to Louisville, KY. Doing that tightened them up and started causing problems. It was a low-margin business to begin with, what with the high crew costs and so on.

Then, due to the under-capitalization, they were practically bankrupted by two minor derailments and one catastrophic derailment. Its what happens when your train carries 30-some-odd passenger cars, 30-some-odd auto-carriers, and millions of dollars worth of automobiles, and it derails. Think of how much the Auto Train derailment a few years back squeezed Amtrak.

Some people don't like renting cars. I don't. I have an old car, one with a very distinctive driving experience, specific responses, and so on. Its a sluggish old MB diesel. I have a hard time with driving cheaper, less solid, less well-controlled, and less comfortable cars. I'd be willing to spend quite a bit to drive my car over another one.

The original east coast Autotrain ran on a line that was almost all double track fairly straight, equivalent to the highway distance and maintained for high speed. As a result it could reliably maintain a relatively fast schedule. The Louisville auto train ran mostly on tracks that were seriously in need of maintenance, carried a lot of freight between Louisvillie and Montgomery AL, and between Montgomery AL and Waycross GA ran on an unsignaled secondary main. It was probably a fairly rough the whole distance north of Waycross and was not near as fast a schedule, and ran on a longer route than the highway distance between the same two points. Thus, they were no where equivalent in quality of service and the western train served a smaller potential pool of riders.

A look at the 1950's era passenger trains between the two areas should have told them that the potential ridership from the western train was much smaller. From Chicago there was only one reasonably fast daily train to Florida plus about five otheres that really served intermediate points as much as they did the Midwest to Florida trade. In contrast, the ACL and SAL both ran multiple daily trains. Think the long winter season Florida Special, Orange Blossom Special, plus the "ordinary" all year Champion in two trains, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, etc.

Oddly, I was told that the private investors never made a profit, but Amtrak, unbelievably is doing so. Does anyone know why that was case?
It wasn't. Auto-Train Corporation made quite a bit of profit in the early years. There problem was twofold. Firstly, they got too ambitious, and secondly, they were under capitalized.

The first issue was the result of them trying to expand to Louisville, KY. Doing that tightened them up and started causing problems. It was a low-margin business to begin with, what with the high crew costs and so on.

Then, due to the under-capitalization, they were practically bankrupted by two minor derailments and one catastrophic derailment. Its what happens when your train carries 30-some-odd passenger cars, 30-some-odd auto-carriers, and millions of dollars worth of automobiles, and it derails. Think of how much the Auto Train derailment a few years back squeezed Amtrak.

Some people don't like renting cars. I don't. I have an old car, one with a very distinctive driving experience, specific responses, and so on. Its a sluggish old MB diesel. I have a hard time with driving cheaper, less solid, less well-controlled, and less comfortable cars. I'd be willing to spend quite a bit to drive my car over another one.
Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but I read an article recently that stated that by using available tracks in New Jersey, the Superliner could avoid the lowest of the tunnels and could potentially travel to Florida. I thought that the article mentioned southern New Jersey. There are a lot of experts out there, that's for sure, really impressive, knowledgeable people. Are their tracks available from Southern NJ either to LOR or to SFO that could avoid the tunnels for the Superliner (the article I read indicated that was impossible from Boston or NYC). I do not like renting either, and the rate quotes I received in Miami for 10 days at Christmas were out of sight, and only two hundred dollars cheaper than round-trip Auto Train which is cheaper return north than the trip south. I suppose it has to do with demand. Yes, the Snowbirds are big users, but families like traveling the Auto Train, and if there were tracks allowing reasonable speeds, there is potential for Chicago area - Orlando or Miami area according to what I read. I also have to locate the New York Times I think it was that mentioned that the Auto Train is Amtrak's most (or one of their most) profitable routes today. Russell.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be because Amtrak's Auto Train doesn't make a profit. It does cover its operating costs as defined by the DOT and in fact is the only LD route to do so. But once you factor in other costs (ticketing, heavy maintenance, management, etc.); the Auto Train is still a money looser, loosing 4.7 cents per passenger mile traveled or about $9 Million annually.

I would think that anyone from the Chicago area that wanted to get to Florida could just as easily take the Capitol Limited to DC and connect with one of the silver service trains. Eastbound they could even use the Lake Shore Ltd connection out of NY. Apparently demand for Chicago to Florida service was never equal to the NY to Florida trade as the three railroads operating this service in the past cooperated with each other and ran their trains every third day. The Pennsy had the South Wind, the IC had the City of Miami and the L&N/C&Ei had the Dixieland. The Southern did run the Royal Palm daily in conjunction with the NYC.

I would think that anyone from the Chicago area that wanted to get to Florida could just as easily take the Capitol Limited to DC and connect with one of the silver service trains. Eastbound they could even use the Lake Shore Ltd connection out of NY.
Of course, their car or family SUV, wouldn't fit well into their overhead luggage rack. :D

As mentioned, the major repeat customers for the Autotrain, are people who stay at their destination for very long periods of time. They take their personal autos because it is cheaper than long term renting.

Well, except for GML who needs to take along his ol jalopy even for sort stays, regardless of the cost. ;)

I do not like renting either, and the rate quotes I received in Miami for 10 days at Christmas were out of sight, and only two hundred dollars cheaper than round-trip Auto Train which is cheaper return north than the trip south.
At Christmas time, I pay about $175 for a week's rental out of Hertz in Orlando's Amtrak station.

The rental agencies seem to have various rates just like Amtrak's bucket system. So, reserving ahead can get you a substantial discount. Plus, of course, make use of the Amtrak.com website transfer discount too.

That would be because Amtrak's Auto Train doesn't make a profit. It does cover its operating costs as defined by the DOT and in fact is the only LD route to do so. But once you factor in other costs (ticketing, heavy maintenance, management, etc.); the Auto Train is still a money looser, loosing 4.7 cents per passenger mile traveled or about $9 Million annually.
From the numbers I read, the Auto Train brings in about $49 million in ticket revenue per year. However, total expenses are around $62 million per year.

But yea, in reality, the Auto Train looses the least amount of money than any other Amtrak LD train. :D

Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but I read an article recently that stated that by using available tracks in New Jersey, the Superliner could avoid the lowest of the tunnels and could potentially travel to Florida. I thought that the article mentioned southern New Jersey. There are a lot of experts out there, that's for sure, really impressive, knowledgeable people. Are their tracks available from Southern NJ either to LOR or to SFO that could avoid the tunnels for the Superliner (the article I read indicated that was impossible from Boston or NYC). I do not like renting either, and the rate quotes I received in Miami for 10 days at Christmas were out of sight, and only two hundred dollars cheaper than round-trip Auto Train which is cheaper return north than the trip south. I suppose it has to do with demand. Yes, the Snowbirds are big users, but families like traveling the Auto Train, and if there were tracks allowing reasonable speeds, there is potential for Chicago area - Orlando or Miami area according to what I read. I also have to locate the New York Times I think it was that mentioned that the Auto Train is Amtrak's most (or one of their most) profitable routes today. Russell.

Nope. Wont fit on the NEC. B&P tunnels in Baltimore and the tunnels into NYP wont clear a SuperCar. Washington to Lorton is fine. Deadhead SuperCars are moved all the time.

From the numbers I read, the Auto Train brings in about $49 million in ticket revenue per year. However, total expenses are around $62 million per year.

But yea, in reality, the Auto Train looses the least amount of money than any other Amtrak LD train. :D
Actually for fiscal 2007 the AT had revenues of $53.5 Million and operating expenses of $43.0 Million for a net of $10.5 Million, before the other shared costs are added on. After another $19.4 Million in shared costs, the AT now runs a deficit of $9.0 Million.

Actually for fiscal 2007 the AT had revenues of $53.5 Million and operating expenses of $43.0 Million for a net of $10.5 Million, before the other shared costs are added on. After another $19.4 Million in shared costs, the AT now runs a deficit of $9.0 Million.
Operating expenses of $43.0 million plus another $19.4 million in shared costs, comes out to $62.4 million.

I think that $62.4 million is pretty close to around $62 million. :D

Be it $9 million or $13 million, either is still a loss.

That is really disappointing, Alan. Here I thought that highest revenue equalled highest profit! And no route earns a profit on its own? Well, the passenger railroads are an important part of our American heritage, and we just cannot give them up. I remember fondly my old days on the train every year from Chicago to Florida, and I have just recently decided to take all of my future vacations on the train. I have nearly one million frquent flier miles, so I'll fly back to NY Metro area if I do not have time to return by train and use the miles that way. I HATE flying. I was recently on a two-engine prop in a storm from DTW - ESC (Escanaba, MI) and vomited the whole way. Lighting struck the plane. The lights flashed out and on and out and on. It was terrible. We were thrown all over the place, with overhead compartments opening up.

I am trying to make a reservation from NYP - Palm Springs and learned that I cannot check my larger suitcase to Palm Springs. The agent told me I'd have to get off at a stop that offers baggage service and that's is just too bad but I could not retrieve my suitcases checked in the baggage car for a Palm Springs arrival (and the same on the return, I would be refused boarding) even with a first-class sleeping accommodation ticket costing thousands of dollars. I just cannot believe that an alternative cannot be worked out. I read in one of these postings that the porter "brought the passenger's suitcase(s) to their bedroom/roomette accommodation just before arrival at their destination station. I have to take enough changes of clothes for the trip, and I assume, even with cross-country train travel that there is no laundry service available on board (for a fee).

Does anyone know of a way to check the larger, suit carrying cases (you are allowed up to 3 checked bags without fee if I read the rules correctly) and bring say a smaller Tumi case on rollers to your sleeping accommodation with a suit bag containing fresh shirts and pants? If there is only one person in a Superliner Roomette or Viewliner bedroom there should be a little extra room available?

One would think Amtrak needs the business of those willing to buy sleep accommodations and attempt to help them. I was told by the agent that I shouldn't take Amtrak, because "we don't operate that way; you're not flying on a plane."

Russell.

And no route earns a profit on its own?
Sadly, no.

Moving people as a general rule is not profitable.

I am trying to make a reservation from NYP - Palm Springs and learned that I cannot check my larger suitcase to Palm Springs. The agent told me I'd have to get off at a stop that offers baggage service and that's is just too bad but I could not retrieve my suitcases checked in the baggage car for a Palm Springs arrival (and the same on the return, I would be refused boarding) even with a first-class sleeping accommodation ticket costing thousands of dollars. I just cannot believe that an alternative cannot be worked out. I read in one of these postings that the porter "brought the passenger's suitcase(s) to their bedroom/roomette accommodation just before arrival at their destination station. I have to take enough changes of clothes for the trip, and I assume, even with cross-country train travel that there is no laundry service available on board (for a fee).
Does anyone know of a way to check the larger, suit carrying cases (you are allowed up to 3 checked bags without fee if I read the rules correctly) and bring say a smaller Tumi case on rollers to your sleeping accommodation with a suit bag containing fresh shirts and pants? If there is only one person in a Superliner Roomette or Viewliner bedroom there should be a little extra room available?
There really isn't any easy way around the checked baggage problem. That said, unless you are planning to bring more than two suitcases or your suitcase will weight more than 50 LBS or far exceeds the carryon dementions, you would be find to carry the suitcase onto the train. In a Superliner car there is a large luggage rack downstairs in the car where you can leave the bigger bag, and you might even be able to squeeze it into your room by putting it on your upper bunk.

On the single level Viewliner train you can also put it on the upper bunk or in the cubby hole above the toilet.

If you need more than two bags and/or your bag doesn't fit the size restrictions, then you may well be out of luck.

And no route earns a profit on its own?
Sadly, no.

Moving people as a general rule is not profitable.

There really isn't any easy way around the checked baggage problem. That said, unless you are planning to bring more than two suitcases or your suitcase will weight more than 50 LBS or far exceeds the carryon dementions, you would be find to carry the suitcase onto the train. In a Superliner car there is a large luggage rack downstairs in the car where you can leave the bigger bag, and you might even be able to squeeze it into your room by putting it on your upper bunk.

On the single level Viewliner train you can also put it on the upper bunk or in the cubby hole above the toilet.

If you need more than two bags and/or your bag doesn't fit the size restrictions, then you may well be out of luck.
Thanks, thank you so much. This is really a great site. The help is really appreciated and the information is really useful. No, my bag cannot weigh more than 50 lbs. (even the airlines are restricted to 50 lbs., or a huge charge up to 75 lbs.). I just do not know if the Tumi folding, five-suit, with the two shoe pockets on one side, rolls on wheels, 23.5H X24.5W X12D will be allowed as a carry-on (the airlines take as checked (50 lbs.), but NOT carry-on). Traveling several thousand miles for two weeks or longer does require extra clothing. Laundry facilities will be very difficult to find, unless there is a long station stop with a coin laundry available at the station. Will that downstairs rack you mentioned hold the Tumi bag above? According to the telephone ticket agent, I would not be allowed to even board the train with that bag.

And by the way, I'm sure that the above would fit on the top bunk in the down position, provided I can still sit in my large seats and lean back during the day and evening.

According to the Amtrak baggage policy, I think your baggage meets the requirement.

Yes, you can do that on the upper bunk. However, during the daytime/night time mode, the attendant will take the mattress from the upper bunk and put it on the lower bunk. It means your suitcase will be moved temporarily.

I would recommend to put your large suitcase in lower level where the suitcase racks are and pack some of your clothes and utensils in a smaller bag or suitcase in your room during the duration of your trip.

You cannot get your checked baggage from the baggage car at anytime. Only some of Amtrak employees will load/unloading checked baggage, based on its destination, at staffed stations.

According to the Amtrak baggage policy, I think your baggage meets the requirement.
Yes, you can do that on the upper bunk. However, during the daytime/night time mode, the attendant will take the mattress from the upper bunk and put it on the lower bunk. It means your suitcase will be moved temporarily.

I would recommend to put your large suitcase in lower level where the suitcase racks are and pack some of your clothes and utensils in a smaller bag or suitcase in your room during the duration of your trip.

You cannot get your checked baggage from the baggage car at anytime. Only some of Amtrak employees will load/unloading checked baggage, based on its destination, at staffed stations.
Thank you. I have to make certain that the Tumi bag dimensions are correct; I took it off of Tumi's web site; the exact suiter/fold garment bag I purchased 6 - 7 years ago is not sold any longer. I am going to call Tumi with a model number this coming week and obtain the exact measurements. I have no problem leaving this much larger bag downstairs on the luggage rack; I had thought those racks were for coach passengers and that sleeper accommodations passengers were not supposed to use the rack (either check the baggage or leave it in your room). My major concern is, and remains, being denied boarding because of an oversized bag (it will meet the 50 lb. requirement). The telephone sales agent stated that if "the bag is one inch too large, you will not be allowed to board the train with the bag." That is a severe penalty and could ruin an entire, well-planned vacation. Most people do not realize that although there are size/weight restrictions on the Amtrak Auto Train, in reality the restrictions do not apply since all the traveler need do is leave the large, heavy bag in the trunk of their car! And no one is allowed on the Auto Train unless they check a vehicle (of course one cannot leave an oversized suit case in their motorcycle!). I want to learn all I can before I begin my trips; it would be a horrible experience and financial ruin to find out these things upon arrival at the station, or worse, after arriving at destination.

Russell,

Unless your bag look oddly larger than the demensions listed at the link above to the Amtrak baggage policy or you ask an employee for help in carrying your bag, it is highly unlikely that anyone will even question you, much less deny you boarding. I see people everytime I ride with luggage that is clearly way over the size regulations or worse, are carrying three bags when only allowed two, on board the train.

The key is that you must handle things yourself. If you have any plans to ask for a redcap or if you'll need help lifting your bag into the train, then you could get into trouble. Also, while I haven't really studied your itinerary in part because my computer time is limited being that I'm currently on a rail vacation, if you plan to ride any single level trains you'll need to keep in mind that there is no luggage rack there. If you've got a bedroom then you'll have no problems at all, since there is plenty of room there. If you have a roomette, then things might get a bit more interesting. But again if you're traveling solo, you should be fine since you can always put your bag on the upper bunk.

Also Amtrak personnel tend to be a bit more lenient with sleeper class passengers than they do with coach pax, simply because you are paying for better service. One must remember that nothing at Amtrak is ever set in stone and there are employees who seem to like to think that they write the company policies and therefore can alter things to their own wants and desires, so I can't guarantee anything 100%. But I do think that as long as you follow the above guidelines, that there is probably a 98% chance that you'll have no troubles on your journey.

Thank you. I have to make certain that the Tumi bag dimensions are correct; I took it off of Tumi's web site; the exact suiter/fold garment bag I purchased 6 - 7 years ago is not sold any longer. I am going to call Tumi with a model number this coming week and obtain the exact measurements. I have no problem leaving this much larger bag downstairs on the luggage rack; I had thought those racks were for coach passengers and that sleeper accommodations passengers were not supposed to use the rack (either check the baggage or leave it in your room). My major concern is, and remains, being denied boarding because of an oversized bag (it will meet the 50 lb. requirement). The telephone sales agent stated that if "the bag is one inch too large, you will not be allowed to board the train with the bag." That is a severe penalty and could ruin an entire, well-planned vacation. Most people do not realize that although there are size/weight restrictions on the Amtrak Auto Train, in reality the restrictions do not apply since all the traveler need do is leave the large, heavy bag in the trunk of their car! And no one is allowed on the Auto Train unless they check a vehicle (of course one cannot leave an oversized suit case in their motorcycle!). I want to learn all I can before I begin my trips; it would be a horrible experience and financial ruin to find out these things upon arrival at the station, or worse, after arriving at destination.
The rule of thumb is that, if you can handle your bag yourself and not obviously look like you are struggling, no one will challenge you. The phone agent is dead wrong when he/she said that you'd be denied boarding if your bag was even one inch too large. No one is going to measure it.

Now, if you have six bags and you're alone and you ask the car attendant to help you load them, and it takes the two of you to haul one bag up onto the train, then you'll likely be denied boarding. But car attendants are not in the habit of whipping out a tape measure at every podunk station stop.

The downstairs racks are indeed for sleeping passengers--in sleeping cars! The coach cars are completely separate, and so there is no way for a coach passenger to use the downstairs racks in a sleeping car!

I would expect, too, that you'd be given a bit of extra leeway as a sleeper passenger. The limits are more likely to be enforced in coach, since it's a shared space, but there are a lot fewer people in your sleeping car, and so you can get away with larger bags.

Edit: Umm, not entirely sure how I missed Alan's reply, but he basically said the same things...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that anyone from the Chicago area that wanted to get to Florida could just as easily take the Capitol Limited to DC and connect with one of the silver service trains. Eastbound they could even use the Lake Shore Ltd connection out of NY.
Of course, their car or family SUV, wouldn't fit well into their overhead luggage rack. :D

As mentioned, the major repeat customers for the Autotrain, are people who stay at their destination for very long periods of time. They take their personal autos because it is cheaper than long term renting.

Well, except for GML who needs to take along his ol jalopy even for sort stays, regardless of the cost. ;)
Jalopy? JALOPY? "Blue Chip Classic" sounds a lot better. (in 30 years, it might even apply :D )

But, actually I was referring to the rare times and places I travel where I feel a need to have a car at all. I like walking and enjoy well-run public transit systems. I even tolerate poorly run systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back