CHI to DEN & back: the CZ Jan. 22!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I just registered: I'm a member of the Midwest High Speed Rail Association, the Michigan Assoc. of Rail Passengers, the Mountain State Railroad and Logging Historical Association(grandad used to run Shays in West Virginia), and a committed Amtrak rider since I was 17 (30+ years ago).

My first long-distance Amtrak trip was the Southwest Chief from Chicago to LA (Anaheim, actually) and back this past June/July. Despite a day's delay going, and six hours' delay coming back, my traveling companion and I are booked to Denver on the Zephyr in a week and some. We don't have much fear of delays getting into CHI from ARB, but we *do* have concerns about waiting around Denver Union Station (which appears to be under construction?) for an 8pm-ish departure that may be delayed until midnight or even two in the a.m.

If anyone has any kindly advice to offer about the situation in Denver, I'd be very grateful to hear it. In return, I'll happily tell you about being taken off the Chief at 4 in the morning and put on busses, as Missouri started to sink under an 8" rainfall with track washouts ...

Cheers,

Elizabeth

...We don't have much fear of delays getting into CHI from ARB, but we *do* have concerns about waiting around Denver Union Station (which appears to be under construction?) for an 8pm-ish departure that may be delayed until midnight or even two in the a.m.
If your worried about the area surrounding Denver Union Station, don't. I don't think there are too many places in the country where I would rather have to kill some time than Denver Union Station. The station itself is pretty spartan, but the surrounding neighborhood is sensational. Denver Union Station is located in the Lower Downtown (LoDo) section of Denver. Once a wasteland of abandoned warehouses, it is now the nightlife heart of the city. Right outside the station are dozens of restaurants and brewpubs (what Seattle is to coffee, Denver is to beer). If your train is delayed until Midnight, lucky you. Stash your bags at the station, and head outside for some great food and, if it is your thing, maybe a pint or two (or three).

LoDo

"Right outside the station are dozens of restaurants and brewpubs (what Seattle is to coffee, Denver is to beer). If your train is delayed until Midnight, lucky you. Stash your bags at the station, and head outside for some great food and, if it is your thing, maybe a pint or two (or three)."

Hey PRR 60! I had heard the rumor ... what a great experience to look forward to! Yes: that was always our plan ... We have a Superliner Bedroom (how we "spent" our voucher after our various misadventrues back in the summer: Amtrak was VERY generous) so we're not sweating Coach seating nor baggage check. A pint or two would be splendid! When we were about to depart LA in July, we had wine in the LA station bar -- Traxx -- and that was wonderful for taking in the beauty of that location.

I noticed that the EBd CZ from DEN to CHI was spot on yesterday/today. Here's hoping!

Are you into sports? I know Denver has the Nuggets and the Avalanche. That would be a place to kill time as well, also I remember when I was there last May that our train was delayed and there was a good concert in town but was selling out quickly, we were offered tickets at a higher rate but chose not to go. So there's always live music somewhere. The area around DUS is really pretty cool!

Can anyone recommend a great hotel to stay at that is within easy walking distance to Union Station for a family?

We are considering taking the CZ from Denver thru the Rockies this summer. I was orignally considering booking a family bedroom on the CZ from Chicago, but at $750 a night as we go into a recession/depression, the math tells me that it is cheaper to fly to Denver the night before and get up early to catch the train.

Yep, Denver. I am thinking of flying in the night before with my family, and taking some sort of transport from the airport to a hotel near Denver Union Station, and then getting in the CZ early the next morning. My math says that I will save tons, even with airfare and hotel, vs. staying in an Amtrak Family Bedroom for two nights (one TO western CO and the return trip to Chicago).

Thanks!

Just remember, airline travel isn't as time sensitive as it used to be. I would take coach and try and enjoy that over "depending" on the airlines. You get delayed on the airlines than miss your train, that would suck.

Thank you all for your responses! I've been a bit derelict in replying ... just a busy week at work. I've been watching the departure/arrival times for the CZ on line. I'm amazed at how it varies: some days, it departs Denver right on time, or +/- a few minutes. Other nights, three hours late. I've hedged my bet by making a "ghost" reservation for the Wed. morning train back to Ann Arbor, in case we can't make our connection Tuesday afternoon in Chicago. (I learned the hard way after being delayed into Chicago on the east-bound Southwest Chief back in July: there I was at 1 in the morning, trying to talk to "Julie" to make reservations on the Fourth of July afternoon train to ARB! NOT a happy experience.)

Yes! I *am* a sports fan ... and am planning on leaving my Red Wings regalia safe behind in Michigan for the duration of the trip ... ;)

Just remember, airline travel isn't as time sensitive as it used to be. I would take coach and try and enjoy that over "depending" on the airlines. You get delayed on the airlines than miss your train, that would suck.
Of course, if you're flying in the day before it should not be a problem. I mix air and rail trips all the time and it works great for me. Plus, my wife has a limited tolerance for Amtrak, so round trip rail for us is not in the cards.

Yea, we are thinking of flying in to Denver the night before, find a nice place to stay in downtown near Union Station, and then catch the CZ the next morning when it arrives - and then ride it to the other side of CO.

I really, really, really wanted to do an overnight in an Amtrak bedroom. But IMHO, the price for a family bedroom on the CZ is just way out of line. I'm sure they'll find someone to book it, though.

Yea, we are thinking of flying in to Denver the night before, find a nice place to stay in downtown near Union Station, and then catch the CZ the next morning when it arrives - and then ride it to the other side of CO.
I really, really, really wanted to do an overnight in an Amtrak bedroom. But IMHO, the price for a family bedroom on the CZ is just way out of line. I'm sure they'll find someone to book it, though.
I dont know why the CZ bedrooms are so out of line , I was trying to book a three leg trip CHI SAC SEA CHI for

next nov and the bedroom on the Cz was $1300 vs 470 on EB and 530 on CS and it was that way every day

that wasnt sold out and that was 11 months ahead!!

Trainfan

Can anyone recommend a great hotel to stay at that is within easy walking distance to Union Station for a family?
I've been able to get the 4* Hyatt Regency for about $60 a night on Priceline multiple times. Depending on how comfortable you are with using Priceline (taking advantage of free re-bids, etc.), you might be able to get it for as low as $56: http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/27...er-Boulder.html It is an excellent hotel, I highly recommend it. Not quite walking distance from Union Station, but you can hop on a free MallRide shuttle that runs every couple of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back