Changing Travel Date?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
I tried the search function but can't find what I need.

We booked a trip on the SWC to LA for next February, and since we have no Amtrak stations within 2 or 3 hours of us, and are leaving from a non-staffed station, we had the tickets mailed to us. Now it looks like we will be moving our trip up about a month earlier. I haven't called Amtrak yet to make the change, but was wondering...when I change the reservation, will I need to mail the current tickets back in?

Thanks!

Cindy

You can take them to any AMTRAK station and exchange them I believe.

I tried the search function but can't find what I need.

We booked a trip on the SWC to LA for next February, and since we have no Amtrak stations within 2 or 3 hours of us, and are leaving from a non-staffed station, we had the tickets mailed to us. Now it looks like we will be moving our trip up about a month earlier. I haven't called Amtrak yet to make the change, but was wondering...when I change the reservation, will I need to mail the current tickets back in?

Thanks!

Cindy
Yes, or bring them in to a manned station. In the future, don't get printed tix far in advance. Lost tix are a problem as is returning for changes. There are many alternatives:

• You might in the next 8 months go to a city with a manned station or with a QT where you can pick up your tix closer to travel time.
  • You can wait until much closer to travel to have tix mailed.
  • You can have a friend in another city use the barcoded email to pick up your tickets at a QT in January and then send them to you.
Since I am not near a station, Amtrak has multiple times let me pick up the tix on day of travel but usually I have managed to be near a station sometime before a trip. Remember, you can get your tix at ANY manned or QT-supplied station at any time before your trip.

Just an update about changing our travel dates...I called Amtrak today and the agent took care of it easily, but gave me another option that I wasn't aware of. She changed our reservation dates,sent me an email confirmation, and gave me a "boarding code" to use with our original tickets. Said all we have to do is speak with the Conductor when we board, give him the code, and (since our new dates are in the higher bucket), pay the difference we owe in the fare to him. Then when we get to LAX, she told me to get new tickets printed for our return trip at that station.

Just thought someone else might benefit from this information.

Thanks for the input!

Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back