Changing reservation question on NE Regional train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKpartyguy

Train Attendant
Greetings everyone,

I have some questions regarding changing a reservation on a NE Regional train, not the Acela.

I am booked on train #95 on Friday,going from New York City to Washington DC.

On the Amtrak site, in the ticketing section, it tells you how to change a reservation, but it doesn't mention anything about fares.

I would like to know if I get to Penn Station early enough, can I get on an earlier train than the one I am booked on, or would I have to rebook the ticket at whatever the current fare would be?

The Amtrak site says:

"Amtrak.com gives you the freedom to make quick and easy changes to existing reservations that were made online, through the Amtrak App or in a station anytime you want. Enjoy the flexibility of changing the dates and times of your departure and/or return trip or feel free to upgrade your seat or sleeping options."

It makes no mention of fares.

Are the rules for changing a reservation on a NE Regional train the same as for a long distance train?

Thanks in advance.

David

default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings everyone,

I have some questions regarding changing a reservation on a NE Regional train, not the Acela.

On the Amtrak site, in the ticketing section, it tells you how to change a reservation, but it doesn't mention anything about fares.

I would like to know if I get to Penn Station early enough, can I get on an earlier train than the one I am booked on, or would I have to rebook the ticket at whatever the current fare would be?

The Amtrak site says:

"Amtrak.com gives you the freedom to make quick and easy changes to existing reservations that were made online, through the Amtrak App or in a station anytime you want. Enjoy the flexibility of changing the dates and times of your departure and/or return trip or feel free to upgrade your seat or sleeping options."

Are the rules for changing a reservation on a NE Regional train the same as for a long distance train?

Thanks in advance.

David

default_tongue.png
You would have to modify your reservation to board a different train as Northeast Regionals are entirely reserved. The price could increase, decrease, or remain unchanged.

Greetings everyone,

The Amtrak site says:

Thanks in advance.

David

default_tongue.png
You would have to modify your reservation to board a different train as Northeast Regionals are entirely reserved. The price could increase, decrease, or remain unchanged.
Yep. There are no change fees, so you just pay the fare difference (if there is one), and that's it. Amtrak can give you a hard time if it's within 24 hours, so if you're gonna change your ticket, do it before then.

Greetings everyone,

The Amtrak site says:

Thanks in advance.

David

default_tongue.png
Yep. There are no change fees, so you just pay the fare difference (if there is one), and that's it. Amtrak can give you a hard time if it's within 24 hours, so if you're gonna change your ticket, do it before then.
I suspect he won’t know till that day if he can catch an earlier train.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Greetings everyone,

The Amtrak site says:

Thanks in advance.

David

default_tongue.png

True. And Amtrak may allow the OP to change the train that day without a fee. In retrospect, I've only had trouble cancelling reservations same-day (given a voucher instead of a refund). I guess Amtrak might be fine with changing the train without fee, since they're getting a sale either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings everyone,

The Amtrak site says:

Thanks in advance.

David

default_tongue.png

True. And Amtrak may allow the OP to change the train that day without a fee. In retrospect, I've only had trouble cancelling reservations same-day (given a voucher instead of a refund). I guess Amtrak might be fine with changing the train without fee, since they're getting a sale either way.
Amtrak will allow the change. The change can be made using the app (very easy), online, by phone, or at a ticket office. If you want to change end points, phone or in person might be easier. As mentioned, you'll pay any fare increase. What you cannot do is walk on a train with a ticket for another train. That will create some grief.

Greetings everyone,

The Amtrak site says:

Thanks in advance.

David

default_tongue.png

Amtrak will allow the change. The change can be made using the app (very easy), online, by phone, or at a ticket office. If you want to change end points, phone or in person might be easier. As mentioned, you'll pay any fare increase. What you cannot do is walk on a train with a ticket for another train. That will create some grief.
Well there you go then.
default_smile.png

Back