Capitol Limited Consist

• Thread starter Guest_Shotgun7_*
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2nd zone for that award really bumps up the amount of points needed (30,000), so I guess we either pay the difference from TOL to say Chicago, or else we just plan a trip further out and get our "points worth" - like Denver or somewhere out on the edge of zone ll.

The 2nd zone for that award really bumps up the amount of points needed (30,000), so I guess we either pay the difference from TOL to say Chicago, or else we just plan a trip further out and get our "points worth" - like Denver or somewhere out on the edge of zone ll.
If you're heading East you can go to basically anywhere between Ohio and Florida, the longest trip East to Toledo would be to Miami....

In any event going East what you need to do is redeem a reward from TOL- your destination. Most likely your room won't be sold between CHI-TOL so you can then call the regular Amtrak ticket agent, explain what is going on, and book the exact same room you're given by the AGR agent. This means you don't have to switch rooms mid-trip and you also get to earn AGR points for that ticket.

This principle works going West too. Redeem TOL-CHI and wherever in the Central zone you wanted to go-- after you get your assigned room TOL-CHI get transferred to a regular booking agent, tell them what car/room AGR put you in TOL-CHI and book it from WAS-TOL. However it may be better to buy the WAS-TOL segment first and redeem the AGR award next. This is because it is more likely that somebody will purchase the same room WAS-TOL than TOL-CHI, so you run the risk of getting sold out. If all ten bedrooms on the CL are booked between WAS-TOL, you won't be able to purchase one for that segment.

(There's probably a sparknotes version of this somewhere).

If you're going West you can then go to any number of places on the same reward. Remember that your reward stays the same even if you transfer trains. By redeeming a bedroom you'll have bedrooms the entire way (or BC seating on non-sleeper trains). You could head to NOL, DEN, Texas, ect. Anywhere in the Central region.

If you knew where you were starting and where you were planning on going, this would be a lot easier to tailor to your individual needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the help. I just learned that I had about 16,000 points on GR and really was not aware it was as valuable as it is. I figured maybe "half off" on a coach fare or a free BC upgrade. Anyway, I had the account for several years and it had not done too much - inactivity, etc... and we had just recently responded to the Chase CC offer (5,000 mile bonus). So now I have a quick 16,000 and then discovered you can also purchase points (10,000 per calendar year).

So we would like to do a nice off season trip this winter. But there are few Superliner options in zone one (I guess - Capital Limited and Auto Train?). But we have always really enjoyed the Viewliner trips on the Cardinal. Loved the Cardinal when it had Superliners (Sightseer car). But with a large family - it seems like the Family Bedroom is our best value (with Amtrak free rewards).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Auto Train is kind of "special" in the eyes of Amtrak. In order to get on the Auto Train you need a separate reward.

I agree about the family bedroom-- however besides the CL there are no options for you to transfer to another Superliner on the Eastern zone, you'll have to go West.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back