Can a train depart early?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulM

Engineer
Could the following be a "bug"?

train status

Every time someone states that a train can't leave early, I wonder about the case where the conductor, based on a computer printout, knows that everyone with a reservation is already on board. Not that this could apply to the case at hand, since the train hasn't even arrived yet.

Edit:

I should have been more specific. I'm referring to an Amtrak train and a station with both an arrival and departure time in the schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
train status

Every time someone states that a train can't leave early, I wonder about the case where the conductor, based on a computer printout, knows that everyone with a reservation is already on board. Not that this could apply to the case at hand, since the train hasn't even arrived yet.

Well as far as your example is concerned, that looks like a little fluke in the software on the website.

But to answer your question, yes and no.

Trains such as "Auto Train" and chartered trains can depart if all who are on the manifest are on board and accounted for.

In instances such as in the NEC and South FL (WPB -MIA), long distance trains traveling NB (SB in So FL) which are "discharge only" station stops, the train can leave early if it happens to be on time or ahead of schedule in that sector. There would be no reason to wait on time as they are not picking up passengers.

In the NEC (at least on the long distance trains), a Southbound train picking up passengers in a "recieve only" situation can depart like two or three minutes ahead of schedule if all passengers are checked in and accounted for in a couple unique situations. I saw this practiced in stations such as TRE, WIL, and BAL where there is little platform space or only a couple of tracks servicing the station with or without the use of the mainline. In stations like WAS, PHL, NWK, and NYP, that won't happen due to their size and terminal station status.

And lastly (to be taken with a grain of salt), any train "can" leave early especially if your watch is set later than the railroad's time! LOL...

OBS gone freight...

And lastly (to be taken with a grain of salt), any train "can" leave early especially if your watch is set later than the railroad's time! LOL...
Also, while Amtrak adheres to its printed schedules pretty well in terms of not leaving early, other operations (... SEPTA, I'm looking at you <_< ) aren't always so particular about such things.

train status

Edit:

I should have been more specific. I'm referring to an Amtrak train and a station with both an arrival and departure time in the schedule.
Conductor Murphy's Law sez "If you're rushing toward the train with only minutes to spare, the train will probably leave early!" :lol:

Conductor Murphy's Law sez "If you're rushing toward the train with only minutes to spare, the train will probably leave early!" :lol:
Aloha

A long time ago, and far, far away the only time the New Haven train to NYC at Hartford, CT was one time was the Sunday I was late. I did manage to catch it, since I already had my ticket and no bagage, seconds before departure thanks, to the bagage handeler who got the cart wedged against the train.

Aloha

A long time ago, and far, far away the only time the New Haven train to NYC at Hartford, CT was one time was the Sunday I was late. I did manage to catch it, since I already had my ticket and no bagage, seconds before departure thanks, to the bagage handeler who got the cart wedged against the train.
Waddaya mean no baggage? This drawing of you rushing for the train in CT shows that you definitely did have baggage!

5817.jpg

Aloha

Waddaya mean no baggage? This drawing of you rushing for the train in CT shows that you definitely did have baggage!

5817.jpg
LOL Aloha :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the LSL leave BOS a minute or two early relative to the clock on my cell phone which seems to automatically synchronize. I have not verified that my cell provider is properly handling leap seconds, however.

I think Chicago Union Station has an explicit policy that the gates close 3-5 minutes before departure.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the LSL leave BOS a minute or two early relative to the clock on my cell phone which seems to automatically synchronize. I have not verified that my cell provider is properly handling leap seconds, however.
I think Chicago Union Station has an explicit policy that the gates close 3-5 minutes before departure.
Well Amtrak may also be using a slightly different source for its time keeping than your cell phone company, and then of course there can be slight variations in the conductor's time piece.

And in Chicago, they have to close the gates early if they want the train to depart on time. It can take 3 minutes or more to walk from the waiting room down to the train, especially if one doesn't walk fast like I do.

Aloha

5817.jpg
How did you get that picture of ME in (the coming) March?

That will be a picture of me trying to connect from the CZ to the Cardinal at CUS - ON A 2 HOUR CONNECTION! (AGR will not book otherwise between the CZ and Crescent - even though the CZ->CL is a 4 hour connection! And you know the CZ is ALWAYS on time! :blink: )

5817.jpg
How did you get that picture of ME in (the coming) March?

That will be a picture of me trying to connect from the CZ to the Cardinal at CUS - ON A 2 HOUR CONNECTION! (AGR will not book otherwise between the CZ and Crescent - even though the CZ->CL is a 4 hour connection! And you know the CZ is ALWAYS on time! :blink: )
What are you, Eric's twin brother? :huh:

Well Amtrak may also be using a slightly different source for its time keeping than your cell phone company, and then of course there can be slight variations in the conductor's time piece.
My cell provider (AT&T) seems to keep my phone pretty close to the NIST's atomic clock in Boulder, CO. Right now, my phone is exactly 5 seconds off of NIST standard time.

I would hope Amtrak also synchronizes with NIST official time.

Also, are there any Amtrak lines where it is not permitted to buy a ticket on-board? On the lines I'm familiar with, you can buy a ticket on-board, subject to a penalty if you board at a staffed station (where you could have bought a ticket from the station staff or QT machine). On lines where you can buy tickets on-board, the train shouldn't leave early even if all of the scheduled and ticketed passengers are already on-board, because there is still the chance that people without reservations could board and pay the fare on-board.

I've seen my train leave early a few times.

The earliest was Christmas. We arrived at WEM a full 10 minutes early. The conductor looked at his watched and said something like "wow, its amazing how well we run without freight and mbta traffic". Looked around, and gave the engineer the go-ahead.

Gave me a bit of pause, since I typically show up every day 5 minutes before departure.

Also, are there any Amtrak lines where it is not permitted to buy a ticket on-board? On the lines I'm familiar with, you can buy a ticket on-board, subject to a penalty if you board at a staffed station (where you could have bought a ticket from the station staff or QT machine). On lines where you can buy tickets on-board, the train shouldn't leave early even if all of the scheduled and ticketed passengers are already on-board, because there is still the chance that people without reservations could board and pay the fare on-board.
I believe one can't board the Autotrain w/o a ticket.

Also, I know one can't board the Vermonter w/o at least a reservation number even from a station that isn't staffed nor has a QT machine.

Actually the AT is unique in that they collect the tickets in the station before you board. When you check in at the desk, they lift your ticket, give you a seat check (for coach), and your dinner reservation.

About 3 years ago, I was in CUS, standing in line for the departing Illinois Zephyr, some how I got in line for the train that departed for Michigan. I was on the train when I realized my mistake, I told the conductor, and he must have held the IZ, because it departed as soon as I stepped on board. Close call! :rolleyes:

GregL

train status

Edit:

I suppose it is possible. Considering Sunset Limited 2 is scheduled to arrive 1 1/2 hours EARLY tomorrow, they must be pulling out of stations early.

I suppose it is possible. Considering Sunset Limited 2 is scheduled to arrive 1 1/2 hours EARLY tomorrow, they must be pulling out of stations early.
Are you sure that #2 is not 22 ½ hours LATE? :huh: :lol:
Here is what it says:

2 Sunset Limited Arrives New Orleans, LA

(NOL)

4:00 pm

01-FEB-09 (2:29 pm)

01-FEB-09

estimated Estimated Arrival Time: 1 hour and 31 minutes early.

Departs New Orleans, LA

Here is what it says:

(NOL)

01-FEB-09

Departs New Orleans, LA
Just looking at 3 stations for #2 (and remember that these are ALL in the future!):

SAS - Estimated on time

HOS - Estimated 1 minute late

NOL 0 Estimated 1 hour 31 minutes early

:huh:

Here is what it says:

(NOL)

01-FEB-09

Departs New Orleans, LA
Just looking at 3 stations for #2 (and remember that these are ALL in the future!):

SAS - Estimated on time

HOS - Estimated 1 minute late

NOL 0 Estimated 1 hour 31 minutes early

:huh:
But all it takes is one freight train to foul, (or fowl depending on the load), things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back