Can a single level car connect to the lower level of a Superliner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Road

Service Attendant
Not getting into a discussion of available Superliner equipment here, but in my dreams, I would love to have Superliner equipment on the LSL's Boston segment (I assume BOS doesn't have the same height restrictions that NYP has?) so that you could still get an SSL on the LSL. But would you be able to walk from an Amfleet or Viewliner car onto the lower level of a Superliner?

But would you be able to walk from an Amfleet or Viewliner car onto the lower level of a Superliner?
Not without a trans dorm car in between them. Superliners and single level equipment are incompatible without a trans dorm to act as an adapter between the two types.

Not getting into a discussion of available Superliner equipment here, but in my dreams, I would love to have Superliner equipment on the LSL's Boston segment (I assume BOS doesn't have the same height restrictions that NYP has?) so that you could still get an SSL on the LSL. But would you be able to walk from an Amfleet or Viewliner car onto the lower level of a Superliner?
Only via a TransDorm. Trans is short for "transition". Lower level of a Superliner is BELOW the level of a single level car and is, in fact, lower than the tops of the trucks. No passage and no headroom to make one, which is why the area over the trucks are utility spaces. Superliners are "sowbelly" cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no thru connection on lower level Superliner equipment. Only access to other cars is thru the passenger areas. Lower levels contain additional seats, restrooms, dressing room. Some select cars feature a baggage storage area, below. The crew transdorm car can connect with a baggage car on one side. Sleeper Cars have additional roomettes, family bedroom and a handicap bedroom with bath. Restrooms and showers as well.

(I assume BOS doesn't have the same height restrictions that NYP has?)
I'm not sure, but even if it doesn't, I believe BOS is all high-level platforms which the Superliners can't serve unless you tried to cut an intermediate floor into them which really wouldn't work so well either.

I'm not sure, but even if it doesn't, I believe BOS is all high-level platforms which the Superliners can't serve unless you tried to cut an intermediate floor into them which really wouldn't work so well either.
I believe you are correct in saying there are no low level platforms at South Station.

But would you be able to walk from an Amfleet or Viewliner car onto the lower level of a Superliner?
Not without a trans dorm car in between them. Superliners and single level equipment are incompatible without a trans dorm to act as an adapter between the two types.
The only other car that could do this is the ex Santa Fe Hi Level Transitional Coach, but Amtrak has retired those and they are scattered all about the place now, mostly in the hands of storage facilities and dealers.

I believe you are correct in saying there are no low level platforms at South Station.
Correct; no low level plats in Boston or Back Bay either.

I recall seeing posts that there were several very tight spots for Superliner clearance in the approach to Boston over the LSL route. Only takes one low overpass in Boston to get in the way. The catenary at BOS could also be an issue, if it was not designed to provide clearance for Superliners or Plate F cars.

Springfield will be getting high level platforms, but will retain low level platforms for the CSX through tracks. I don't recall the height of the platforms at Worcester and Framingham. If BOS gets expanded with new platforms, I guess Amtrak could reserve space for one level platform off to the side, but that would very likely be seen as a waste of resources. New England along with NY state south of Schenectady will remain in the domain of the NEC with single level cars that use high and/or low level platforms. So, no Superliners to BOS.

I thought the B&A/Framingham Line/Lake Shore Limited side of Back Bay Station had low-level platforms, while the NEC/Providence Line side had high-level platforms.

I have never noticed what track the LSL uses at BBY, but tracks 2, 1 and 3 (used on the NEC) have only high level platforms. I've never seen tracks 5 or 7.

I know a Superliner ran to KIN for the rededication of the station about 10 years or so. I don't know what route it took to get here. I know it didn't run thru NYP!

Pity that it's a few miles of track at both terminals that prevent the LSL from operating as a Superliner train. But those miles are crucial for ridership...and the Superliner fleet is stretched pretty thin as it is.

I have never noticed what track the LSL uses at BBY, but tracks 2, 1 and 3 (used on the NEC) have only high level platforms. I've never seen tracks 5 or 7.

I know a Superliner ran to KIN for the rededication of the station about 10 years or so. I don't know what route it took to get here. I know it didn't run thru NYP!
5 & 7 are just like Kingston

The answer is yes with a transition sleeper a combined Superliner/California cars and single-level equipment train.

The platform the Lake Shore Limited uses at Boston Back Bay for tracks 5 and 7 is still low-level, a wide island platform shared with the Worcester/Framingham Branch (there is a mini-high platform at the outbound end for at least wheelchair commuter rail boarding):

back_bay26.jpg

I'm almost positive there clearence issues that would prevent a Superliner going through the Boston tunnels. I remember reading a few years ago there were a couple days of emergency Superliner Substitutions for the Lake Shore in Chicago and this Superliner train ran as far as Albany where everyone had to transfer to regular single-level trains for Boston or New York-Penn

Could they add single level cars in revenue service to the Western LDs and put a Trans-Dorm in between?

While not a "western" train, this is how the planned Pennslyvanian/Capitol Limited through cars would be set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm almost positive there clearence issues that would prevent a Superliner going through the Boston tunnels. I remember reading a few years ago there were a couple days of emergency Superliner Substitutions for the Lake Shore in Chicago and this Superliner train ran as far as Albany where everyone had to transfer to regular single-level trains for Boston or New York-Penn
The picture of the MBTA train in Back Bay certainly does not look like there is clearance for a Superliner. There is not much headroom to spare for the MBTA train which looks like a standard single level. A Superliner train that can only make it to Framingham or partway from there into Boston is not a viable idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back