Caltrain electrification at risk

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fake or not, if it reaches 100,000 signatures, White House has to provide an official response to it.

It is sad that this affects 60,000 daily commuters yet there are a measly 9,000 signatures supporting it. We, as rail lovers and transit advocates, should all do our little part in supporting this at least.

It is sad that this affects 60,000 daily commuters yet there are a measly 9,000 signatures supporting it. We, as rail lovers and transit advocates, should all do our little part in supporting this at least.
If the local who use it don't support it, or even the locals who believe in it but are not in a position or location to use it, why should outside train lovers do so? I'd rather the money be spent in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the local who use it don't support it, or even the locals who believe in it but are not in a position or location to use it, why should outside train lovers do so? I'd rather the money be spent in my area.
Is there a rail improvement project in your area that was shovel-ready and had federal funding to it taken away at the last minute? If yes, I will happily sign a petition to support that too. It's not you vs me. It is us aka people who like trains and transit vs those who want to deny funding to it.

Is it well know locally that electrification is at risk? And the advantages even w/o any other, like, oh, say, high speed rail, changes?
Yes. All the local media has talked about it, and Caltrain itself is furiously vocal on social media- Facebook/Twitter about the project, its advantages, what the funding deferral means and so on. From what I am seeing locally, there is enough support within the Bay Area to have it done, but a lot of resistance and brigading coming from Central Valley Republican residents who don't use Caltrain and consider it "waste of money"

I'll be a bit colorful on this...but if funding is pulled then some of that cap-and-trade money CA has should be funneled to this. I'd also like to see a sign attached to those "Your tax dollars hard at work" signs saying "And with no help from the Federal government" (which, to be fair, also belonged on the Norfolk service...that was a 100% state project).

With all of this said, I put no small part of the blame on the former administration for not getting the contracting worked out on the way out the door. It's not like we haven't seen a version of this show before (WI, OH, and FL, oh my!) and the idea that what's-his-face from Southern California (the Congresscritter spearheading attempts to kill CAHSR) would try to lead a charge like this should not be considered the world's greatest shock.

With all of this said, I put no small part of the blame on the former administration for not getting the contracting worked out on the way out the door. It's not like we haven't seen a version of this show before (WI, OH, and FL, oh my!) and the idea that what's-his-face from Southern California (the Congresscritter spearheading attempts to kill CAHSR) would try to lead a charge like this should not be considered the world's greatest shock.
One word answer to this- Atherton.

That little pain-in-the-posterior town of whiny millionaires has thrown lawsuit after lawsuit against Caltrain to stop electrification or any improvements from happening in their special snowflake quaint town in the middle of a metro area of 7 million people. The last lawsuit was thrown out by court on Sep 28, 2016. That did not leave much time for the previous administration to jump in and provide the funding.

I don't think that the depth or breadth of support for Caltrain electrification should be measured solely by people's willingness to sign a whitehouse.gov petition. Some may presume such an act pointless or even counterproductive, as jis points out humorously.

I signed the petition but now receive White House emails, including four reminders in the last couple of days to watch the King's Speech Presidential address to Congress. The last one bore the vaguely ominous heading "Watch NOW". :rolleyes:

I don't think that the depth or breadth of support for Caltrain electrification should be measured solely by people's willingness to sign a whitehouse.gov petition. Some may presume such an act pointless or even counterproductive, as jis points out humorously.

I signed the petition but now receive White House emails, including four reminders in the last couple of days to watch the King's Speech Presidential address to Congress. The last one bore the vaguely ominous heading "Watch NOW". :rolleyes:
Before you submit your signature to the petition, there is an option to uncheck "receive emails from White House" that you conveniently missed. Even then, it is not too late. Each of the 4 emails you got will have an Unsubscribe button at the bottom. It takes one click to stop the spam from ever coming again.

Before you submit your signature to the petition, there is an option to uncheck "receive emails from White House" that you conveniently missed. Even then, it is not too late. Each of the 4 emails you got will have an Unsubscribe button at the bottom. It takes one click to stop the spam from ever coming again.
Thanks!

When the state tied the Caltrain electrification project to the high speed rail project, they created a situation where questioning the future of the high speed rail project dragged the Caltrain work into the discussion. Essentially, the grant for Caltrain became a grant for high speed rail. As the future of the high speed rail project has become questionable, Caltrain has tried to uncouple itself from the high speed project, but to some extent that is easier said than done.

As long as it is thought that the Caltrain electrification project is in furtherance of the high speed rail project, and that stopping the Caltrain work would effectively stop the high speed project, then this job has a problem. Perhaps the best way for the state to help move the Caltrain project forward would be to announce the suspension of the high speed rail project, and the reallocation of cap and trade revenue to other projects. Then, the Caltrain work could be assessed without carrying the baggage of the high speed rail project.

Then, there is this. On January 18 - two days before the change in the administration - Carolyn Flowers, then acting head of the Federal Transit Administration, announced approval of a $647 million FTA grant for the Caltrain electrification. She left that position two days later when the new administration and DOT secretary took office. Fortunately, she found a new job remarkably fast. On January 31 - 13 days after approving the grant - she was hired by Aecom, a large engineering firm, as head of its North American transit operation. Among the projects within that area: the Caltrain electrification project. She approves the federal grant for the project (later rescinded), then gets a high level job working on that very project within two weeks. Smells a little off.

From the LA Times:

A top Obama administration executive at the U.S. Department of Transportation approved a $647-million grant for a California rail project in mid-January and less than two weeks later went to work for a Los Angeles-based contractor involved in the project, The Times has learned.
The full article is HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the state tied the Caltrain electrification project to the high speed rail project, they created a situation where questioning the future of the high speed rail project dragged the Caltrain work into the discussion. Essentially, the grant for Caltrain became a grant for high speed rail. As the future of the high speed rail project has become questionable, Caltrain has tried to uncouple itself from the high speed project, but to some extent that is easier said than done.

As long as it is thought that the Caltrain electrification project is in furtherance of the high speed rail project, and that stopping the Caltrain work would effectively stop the high speed project, then this job has a problem. Perhaps the best way for the state to help move the Caltrain project forward would be to announce the suspension of the high speed rail project, and the reallocation of cap and trade revenue to other projects. Then, the Caltrain work could be assessed without carrying the baggage of the high speed rail project.

Then, there is this. On January 18 - two days before the change in the administration - Carolyn Flowers, then acting head of the Federal Transit Administration, announced approval of a $647 million FTA grant for the Caltrain electrification. She left that position two days later when the new administration and DOT secretary took office. Fortunately, she found a new job remarkably fast. On January 31 - 13 days after approving the grant - she was hired by Aecom, a large engineering firm, as head of its North American transit operation. Among the projects within that area: the Caltrain electrification project. She approves the federal grant for the project (later rescinded), then gets a high level job working on that very project within two weeks. Smells a little off.

From the LA Times:

A top Obama administration executive at the U.S. Department of Transportation approved a $647-million grant for a California rail project in mid-January and less than two weeks later went to work for a Los Angeles-based contractor involved in the project, The Times has learned.
The full article is HERE.
Yup, I saw that article as well and fumed. I'm pro CAHSR but seriously, at this point, I wish the CAGOP would get their Shi$ together and put up some meaningful opposition in Sacramento. We can't get one thing built or done that the State touches and gets screwed up.

Perhaps the best way for the state to help move the Caltrain project forward would be to announce the suspension of the high speed rail project, and the reallocation of cap and trade revenue to other projects. Then, the Caltrain work could be assessed without carrying the baggage of the high speed rail project.
And what happens to all the construction for CAHSR that has already happened? CAHSR is not an on-paper project anymore, there are viaducts built in Central Valley already. Do we just abandon all of that to become a ghost town and eat up the cost?

This exists, and this is not alternative facts-

fresno_river_viaduct_xl.jpg

dsc_0121_xl.jpg

Agree, this delay (and possibly killing) of federal funding for Caltrain electrification is simply a political stunt - for a "jobs and infrastructure" administration in Washington to kill a project that would create jobs and improve infrastructure and is truly "shovel-ready" is absurd and should give pause to anyone holding out hope that rail and transit projects will fair well in the next few years.

One word answer to this- Atherton.

That little pain-in-the-posterior town of whiny millionaires has thrown lawsuit after lawsuit against Caltrain to stop electrification or any improvements from happening in their special snowflake quaint town in the middle of a metro area of 7 million people. The last lawsuit was thrown out by court on Sep 28, 2016. That did not leave much time for the previous administration to jump in and provide the funding.
I agree. This railroad has been there before any of those residents were even born. The fact that they move in near the age-old railway, then proceed to complain about it (not uncommon around the country) is appalling and selfish, IMO, unless the railway is invading their private property directly.

Back