California Zephyr Trip report. 6 from emy to chi departing emy 8/21.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your first pic shows how Sharlene has the makings of a beyond outstanding Attendant. She obviously has the enthusiasm to go above and beyond her by-the-book duties and takes pride in her work. Hopefully she will not fall victim to Anderson cuts.

On my last CZ westbound 5 years ago, 3 undercovers were at the Sleeper door when we stopped in The Trench. They displayed their badges and went right upstairs while the startled Attendant, another pax and I stepped onto the platform. A few moments later they dragged a Mexican couple out and began interrogating them right in front of us. Moments later 2 suitcases appeared and the cop bringing those out asked if they were theirs and for permission to open; when he opened the first one, it was billowing with bundles of pot or some kind of narcotic. I never before saw cuffs deployed so fast. We enjoyed the front row seats (better than watching Live PD on TV) and I imagine that couple is still in NV.

A lot less drama for me. 6 stopped for 20 minutes at west portal of moffat tunnel to wait for Ebert freight to clear. This included time for the blowers to blow fresh air into the tunnel. The freight took a siding eventually and we overtook it. Then had a few more minutes to f slow running because the slide detector had been set off. Probably about 30 minutes late into Denver. Padding will definitely help us here.

IMG_1534983817.709824.jpg

IMG_1534983833.543391.jpg

IMG_1534983845.067771.jpgIMG_1534983857.363921.jpgIMG_1534983870.040535.jpg

Great pics Steve! Any "Mooners" on the Colorado? Its a long time tradition on this Route.[emoji6]
Yes. IMG_1534997451.144249.jpg

Update. Currently run slow due to approach signals. Must be following a freight.
Sorry I missed this, first saw your pics on my Phone!
Good thing the Zephyr goes across Nebraska @ Night, unless it hits a Herd of Cattle like happened to us in 2014! 12 Hours late into Omaha from McCook, and as for the Scenery, let's just say it was even blander than North Dakota/Eastern Montana!

Freight congestion starts 88 miles out from Union station. 6 has run significantly slower for 20 miles after that point through Mendota. Switches tracks twice. Now back up to 79 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Steve4031! I've taken the both the Zephyr and Empire Builder, both great trains, and great experiences. Lots of freight delays when I went, a couple of years ago, I see that hasn't changed much. Love both those trains, but next month I'm gonna try the ''Crescent.'' Should be a pretty ride in mid-October.

I'll have to try and emulate you, and get some nice pics to post.

Back