California Zephyr discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any new information about the Zephyr derailment in Keenesburg, CO a few months back?

Is the consist still out there? I haven’t heard about it being moved yet, and neither 816 or 41 have been seen since, not even at Beech Grove Shops.

Trains Magazine ran an article claiming Amtrak and BNSF were suing the dairy company, but there’s been no updates since then.

Hoping the engineer made a full recovery. 🤞

I caught the deadhead move of cars I'm guessing were involved in the Keenesburg crash east of Ottumwa this morning. For reference, the consist was:
BNSF 3736 ET44C4
BNSF 808382 buffer car
BNSF 90 geometry car
AMTK 61049 baggage car
AMTK 39046 transition dormitory car
AMTK 32011 sleeping car
AMTK 32060 sleeping car
AMTK 38024 dining car
AMTK 33031 sightseer lounge
AMTK 34032 coach
AMTK 35007 snack coach

20240521_095153.jpg

20240521_095208.jpg

Maybe Amtrak is short of crews for where the accident occurred. It may have wanted consist at Beech ASAP? Anyone know if engineer involved has come back to work?

I booked my travel a few months ago and today I checked my ticket again and it changed from roomette number five to roomette number eight on the California Zephyr car 531. does anyone know why they would change my room?

I booked my travel a few months ago and today I checked my ticket again and it changed from roomette number five to roomette number eight on the California Zephyr car 531. does anyone know why they would change my room?
This happens frequently, usually someone wants to book two Roomettes Close together, or 2 Bedrooms that become a Suite.

Also sometimes Rooms are taken out of service for Mechanical defects or equipment is replaced by another car!

Is the 531 car closest to the diner?
I have read if there are two sleepers, then the 31 is closest to the diner. Over the years or seasons, if there ended up being 3 sleepers, historically it ended up with the 30 number and then it was closest to the diner. Last I was riding CZ sleeper so we could take masks off in 2022, we were in the 32 or 40 car otherwise we ride coach for CZ to go to/from CHI.

I have read if there are two sleepers, then the 31 is closest to the diner. Over the years or seasons, if there ended up being 3 sleepers, historically it ended up with the 30 number and then it was closest to the diner. Last I was riding CZ sleeper so we could take masks off in 2022, we were in the 32 or 40 car otherwise we ride coach for CZ to go to/from CHI.
The third sleeper -- when running DEN<>CHI and sometimes nicknamed the Denver Zephyr -- on the end of the train is numbered 30, or at least it was in 2014 when this photo was taken.
2014 May - June 075.jpg

Back