California Zephyr actual schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, when I have ridden Winnemucca was the fresh air break but you had to exit and reboard from a coach. They did not open the doors for the sleepers. Elko is usually middle of the night so not sure this would be a fresh air break.

Also, when I have ridden Winnemucca was the fresh air break but you had to exit and reboard from a coach. They did not open the doors for the sleepers. Elko is usually middle of the night so not sure this would be a fresh air break.
San Antonio is the middle of the night on the Sunset and Eagle, yet they let passengers off...

On the times I have been on the CZ and there was a bit of an extended stop at Elko, no passengers were let off. By extended I mean no more than 5 or 10 minutes.

If departures from Winnemucca for #6 and SLC for #5 are on the advertised, then dwell times of 20 to 30 minutes in Elko are possible.

And if #5 departs Roseville on time, then one-hour early arrivals into Emeryville are possible.

IIRC, Winnemucca became a non - smoking stop after the city fathers said”Enough!” to too many smokers leaving their butts on the ground around the station platforms. Don’t know what the rule is at Elko, where eastbound trains often arrive early and have long dwells waiting for their scheduled departure time.
I see, that's too bad about that. I always am respectful and don't litter my cigarette butts, but of course there are a lot of others who sadly don't give a damn, and of course ruin it for all who smoke. Thanks for clarifying that. I guess it'd be up to the discretion of conductors, that sometimes they might let you smoke at Elko if it were on time.

Just went on ASMAD and pulled up info for 5 (28) and found a disturbing status. What has happened to it? Somehow lost 4 1/2 hours between OTM and OSC, and an additional 3 hours between OSC and GRA, with no statuses between the two stations, exclusive.

History for Amtrak 5 originating 08/28/2018 (Tu)

*CHI * * 1 200P * 200P Departed: On time.

* NPV * * 1 234P * 240P Departed: 6 minutes late.

* PCT * * 1 344P * 402P Departed: 18 minutes late.
* GBB 1 438P 1 438P 454P 500P Arrived: 16 minutes late. | Departed: 22 minutes late.
* BRL * * 1 525P * 555P Departed: 30 minutes late.
* MTP * * 1 559P * 624P Departed: 25 minutes late.
* OTM 1 653P 1 653P 731P 751P Arrived: 38 minutes late. | Departed: 58 minutes late.
* OSC * * 1 809P * 147A Departed: 5 hours, 38 minutes late.

Wrong Train

OMA 1 1055P 1 1105P CT
LNK 2 1208A 2 1214A CT

* GRA * * 2 1037A * 722P Departed: 8 hours, 45 minutes late.
* GSC * * 2 153P * 1028P Departed: 8 hours, 35 minutes late.
* GJT 2 357P 2 410P 1211A 1224A Arrived: 8 hours, 14 minutes late. | Departed: 8 hours, 14 minutes late.

Anyone know what's going on with the train I'm talking about?

I believe Winter Park - Fraser is often a smoke stop.
Yes it is...and a very pleasant one, even if you don't smoke!

(Or ski.)
default_mosking.gif

Didn't know that was one....I imagine it may have to do with extra time padded into the schedule to allow for loading/unloading large groups of skier's in season. Probably not worth changing the schedule just for the season....
default_unsure.png

For the eastward CZ, the dwell at Fraser might also be extended to allow time for any freight train in front of it to clear the Moffat Tunnel by a minimum of 10 minutes for engine exhaust gases to be ventilated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back