California pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I'm hoping someone can help me here, I'm thinking of doing the whole california rail experience, and I was wondering if I could hear from someone who has done it. I'm not sure when I'm gonna be going yet, I just know it has to be before April. I've been looking into a california pass, and that looks like the best bet right now, since I'm not sure what all I'd wanna do. I know I wanna hit the zoo, and the national parks, maybe on up into the pacific northwest. Can anyone share theyre california rail experiences? Maybe give me some pointers?

At this stage of the game, Amtrak-California is what Amtrak ought to be like everywhere. Generally the trains are on time, clean, and have crews that for the most part have a very positive attitude. The bus connections at Bakersfield and Emeryville are dedicated buses, so you don't need to worry about making connections. You can get to Yosemite by a connecting bus, but I do not know the details about that one. A ride over the Sierra on the CZ (not part of Amtrak-California) is worth it for the look at the mountains.

In general, UP has been inspired to do a better job on keeping Amtrk at or near on time than in the past, and BNSF does it by habit, to the point that there are riders that do not realize that the route of the San Joquin trains is not double track.

Get a schedule folder, which can be found on Amtrak's web site, and plan from there, taking the times on the folder as meaning what they say.

In general, UP has been inspired to do a better job on keeping Amtrk at or near on time than in the past, and BNSF does it by habit, to the point that there are riders that do not realize that the route of the San Joquin trains is not double track.
That inspiration for UP came in the form of lots of money for track improvements that the state paid for.

I've been looking at RCI's website, and it looks like Tahoe would be the best place to stay, right in the center, with a station nearby, the thing is, I might want to go on up to Washington and Oregon. How would the rail pass handle that? Would I have to pay extra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back