Cafe Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
On Tuesday I will be on 137 from RTE to PHL. I only have $*& cash. The amount shall remain in my wallet. :rolleyes: But it's enough for lunch. :D I will be getting lunch and dinner in the cafe car. Will they accept my TD Bank Credit/Debit Card as a form of payment. I am aware that Amtrak stopped taking debit cards. But will it go through as credit? :unsure:

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
If it can be processed as a credit card (and has a credit card company logo on the front), it will be accepted.

what credit cards will amtrak accept? I'm taking a trip in september, and I dont carry much cash with me.

I am aware that Amtrak stopped taking debit cards.
When did they do this? When I was on the wolverine back in may of this year they took my paypal debit card with the MasterCard logo no problem in the cafe.

I am aware that Amtrak stopped taking debit cards.
When did they do this? When I was on the wolverine back in may of this year they took my paypal debit card with the MasterCard logo no problem in the cafe.
Trust me, AS LONG AS THE VISA / MC LOGO is on the card, Amtrak will process as a "CREDIT CARD", not requiring any PIN entry.

Just about everything at amtrak.com indicates that they only accept MasterCard, American Express, Visa and Discover. This goes for online, at the station, and onboard. Interestingly, they specifically exclude JCB for buying tickets online, even though it's not mentioned that JCB is accepted anywhere in the Amtrak empire. Which is a shame. Even local tourist spots are accepting JCB now. There are a LOT of Japanese tourists who ride the trains, and JCB is huge in Japan. Most Japanese can get a MC or Visa, for sure, but most stick with JCB.

Off track.... In retrospect, it is interesting to note that for about the first 15+ years of its existence, Tokyo Disneyland ONLY accepted JCB. Though many Japanese do have MC/V, almost NO non-Japanese have JCB.

If your debit card carries a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or Amex logo, no worries, it will be accepted by Amtrak onboard. The "debit" cards to which Amtrak referrs are those issued without a Bankcard logo (ie Visa, MC, etc ) and can only be used at a point of service by entering a secret PIN.

The wireless credit card machine I use at my shop acts the same way as Amtrak's. It doesn't care if the card is debit or credit. It just has to be issued by Visa or MasterCard. It never asks for a PIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back