Buying tickets 11 months out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enervator

Train Attendant
You can buy tickets for a trip eleven months in advance of the departure date, but what time do these tickets actually become available? Is it midnight (eastern time, I'd assume, but I don't like to assume), or another, later time? Or is it exactly eleven months out, as in, if the train leaves at 9:00 pm eleven months from today I'd only be able to buy a ticket beginning 9:00 pm tonight. I'm assuming the latter isn't the case and that there's some standard time they become available, most likely midnight, but want to make sure.

Thanks.

I don't know exactly what time they go on sale, but if you're looking for the lowest bucket, consider this. At one time, the lowest bucket was offered when tickets first became available (11 months out). Now, tickets start at a higher bucket. The low bucket may not be available until 6-10 months out. (There is no set time.)

If you are doing a multi-train reservation, ALL train's departures must be past the 11 month threshold.

Such as...LA to Chicago on the Southwest Chief then Chicago to Washington DC on the Capitol Limited. Even though the Southwest Chief departure is within the eleven month window, the Capitol Limited departure must be also be within the eleven month window.

I experienced that one time - I wound up waiting 2 days before I could book the entire trip.

I found the fares 11 months out to be higher than when I actually purchased 5 months from departure. I watched the fares several times a week until I thought they were at their lowest point. Though my purchase point was much lower than 11 months, the fare actually dropped a couple weeks later before sky rocketing. Now my ticket was multiple trains all with sleepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back