Buying Pts. @ 30% Bonus?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my view AGR2 is great at funding short forgettable hops that are easily paid with cash from between sofa cushions rather than funding the bigger more extravagant trips that average people actually fantasize about. Which seems kind of silly and self-defeating in my view, but what do I know? Maybe it's totally worth it to spend far more and earn far less in exchange for lower prices on shorter trips.

If you book low-bucket, on the shortest coast-to-coast route, points trips are cheaper now than in the past. I just booked BOS-WIH (barely short of PDX) for 27,497 points for next February. It used to be three zones, or 35,000. Of course, I checked Amsnag, then booked early and got the low-bucket roomette ("only one available at this price" :p ).
But for the 35,000 points you could have brought a traveling companion along at no additional cost. How does that change the calculus of your coast-to-coast trip?
I decided that the "me" time was worth more than sharing a roomette with anyone further down my list, so I went alone.
I never heard from ya!!!

Back