Buying Points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure it was well thought out, at least for the most part. AGR is a program to reward ridership on Amtrak first and foremost. The fact that under AGR 1.x some tickets were cheaper than cash was simply a quirk of the rules. If anything, Amtrak made it more expensive to buy points because they don't want people stockpiling points; they'd rather have people pay cash for the tickets than purchase points and then use those points for tickets.
I would think it would be just the opposite for Amtrak. Some folks may not redeem the points and it's cash in their pockets whether folks do redeem them for travel or not. If they do redeem them, it's no loss for Amtrak because they are selling the points for more than the points can be redeemed for. A win win for them whether folks redeem them or not as long as they buy them.

I just got the 30% bonus offer. Wow! If I buy enough to get the 30% bonus each point costs 2.89 ¢. As is is well documented they are never worth more than 2.89 ¢ why bother. Unless, perhaps, you've earned almost enough points to buy a trip you're better off setting the money aside to use for a trip later. It was such a good deal while it lasted.

I just got the 30% bonus offer. Wow! If I buy enough to get the 30% bonus each point costs 2.89 ¢. As is is well documented they are never worth more than 2.89 ¢ why bother. Unless, perhaps, you've earned almost enough points to buy a trip you're better off setting the money aside to use for a trip later. It was such a good deal while it lasted.
"Unless, perhaps, you've earned almost enough points to buy a trip"

Yeah, that's the only reason to buy points as the system works now.

Hoping but not expecting that the promised (heh) ability to combine points and cash ever happens :)

I don't even waste my time any more opening the email. I just delete it like other spam.

Before 2.0, I waited for those emails with bated breath.

I don't even waste my time any more opening the email. I just delete it like other spam.

Before 2.0, I waited for those emails with bated breath.
Same here. But I wish they'd hurry and get the Points Plus Cash option going.

Back