Buying points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can only transfer Ultimate Rewards points to AGR if you have one of the "premium" Chase cards that charge annual fees - Ink (Bold or Plus) or Sapphire Preferred. Fortunately both of those cards have annual fees waived for the first year. You can find links to apply for those (with 40,000 bonus points or more) through a Google search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy the maximum 10,000 points on 12/31/14 and 10,000 on 1/1/15 (you can buy 10K per CALENDAR year - 2014 and 2015 are different years). On 1/1/15, you now. have 20,000 AGR points!
And that's what we did. We got 20K points on HER account (that I paid for). I know, I should have waited (or timed) for the bonus period), but...

Now, as to worth it? Those 20K points were $550. The trip from Boston to Chicago (Roomette) is $640 (including my (Ahem) Senior Citizen discount. So, yeah, I saved $90 by buying points.

Thanks for all the tips.

If you bought your 10K for 2014 late in the year, you should have received 13K! There was a 30% bonus open to everyone until 12/31/14.
Where does one find out about these bonuses? I would have bought points last year if I had known there was a bonus.

The place I found out about that 30% bonus was right here on AU! :) But if you sign into your AGR account, many times it's listed under the "My Promotions" tab. (However, this one was not! :( )

Keep a lookout on AU - most times things are posted here! :D

Heads-up: Just got a brand-new offer for a 30% bonus on buying points starting as of this morning and extending through February 1st.

"Only if you're eligible."

Guess secret is what makes someone eligible. I made end of year purchase for 10000 with 3000 bonus. Maybe that is why I haven't received an email. Won't make another purchase until I get a bonus offer.

I got the 30% offer too. I got a 50% offer last year that I took advantage of, but I don't know if I should count on that again? I might wait just in case, they seem to always do an end of year 30% if I skip this one.

Must be targeted - hasn't hit my account or inbox. Did get an Amtrak Winter sale email yesterday.
Not targeted. I just went to the AGR site less than a week ago, selected buy and it offered the bonus. Posted in about 48 hours.
It's targeted. When I go to try and purchase the points, no bonus offer is listed for me.

Back