Buying a ticket from a station without quick-track machine option

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_MontanaJim_*

Id like to buy a ticket from Monterey, CA to San Francisco, for December 6th. Usually when i buy tickets i choose the quic-trac machine option to pick up the tickets. However, since Monterey doesnt have a machine, that option isnt given, and the tickets are to be mailed. So how can i make a reservation with the freedom to cancel? That is great? Sometimes i make reservations and then my plans change, and i cancel online and since no tickets were issued, its no problem.

Also i think amtrak should have the quick track option avail for all tickets since you can use another station to get the ticket (like i often do). Maybe they can just put a disclaimer on there saying that particular station doesnt have a machine.

Also i think amtrak should have the quick track option avail for all tickets since you can use another station to get the ticket (like i often do). Maybe they can just put a disclaimer on there saying that particular station doesnt have a machine.
But that's the problem. Many people won't see it, or read it, and then get to the station and find out there is no way to get tickets and then complain. I don't know what can be done.

Id like to buy a ticket from Monterey, CA to San Francisco, for December 6th. Usually when i buy tickets i choose the quic-trac machine option to pick up the tickets. However, since Monterey doesnt have a machine, that option isnt given, and the tickets are to be mailed. So how can i make a reservation with the freedom to cancel? That is great? Sometimes i make reservations and then my plans change, and i cancel online and since no tickets were issued, its no problem.
Estimating that you live about the same distance from Salinas as I do from my Amtrak station - roughly 18 miles, and not withstanding any limitations you have, I would simply make my reservations either online or by phone and pay for them opting to pick up your tickets at the Salinas station about a week or less before your departure date. As best I can tell this would be the station to you that has counter service.

Now I don't say this to you as just a suggestion, but I say it because I did similary with my reservations next year. I made there reservation online and the difference is that I had to pay at the station and travelled the 18 miles one way to do so because I had vouchers. Unfortunately I had the take the tickets because of the voucher.

The bottom line is that I'm not basicly suggesting anything I didn't really do, meaning an 18 mile trip to the station and back to get the tickets in advance of my travel date! The only real difference in your case is your station ticket pickup is different that you station of departure, and I see no real difference with that! If I'm missing some point your making... then my apologies! I'm just addressing that you have a solution that I find reasonable!

But that's the problem. Many people won't see it, or read it, and then get to the station and find out there is no way to get tickets and then complain. I don't know what can be done.
You're right! Even if they put a notice with the online reservation process that they should check out station details, how many would ignore it or not even see it? I know I've missed notices as I've used the online process to run checks. It's easy to do! So what can be done? Who knows if there is anything that can be done! Not all problems have or warrant solutions and not all solutions resolve all problems!

I had your same problem recently. You'll have to call and make a reservation. Just tell them you'll pick up the ticket somewhere else, and you can just pick it up at any station. Yes, I didn't like not having the reservation in my Amtrak profile. It is nice to be able to cancel online.

The British National Reservations System finds it easy enough to give you a choice of every station on the network with counter service or ticket machines from which to pick up your ticket (this gives you a list of hundreds of stations to pick from). Presumably giving you a list of stations, and allowing you to find your station is not there but giving you the choice of another station if you wish, would avoid the problems others have mentioned.

The British National Reservations System finds it easy enough to give you a choice of every station on the network with counter service or ticket machines from which to pick up your ticket (this gives you a list of hundreds of stations to pick from). Presumably giving you a list of stations, and allowing you to find your station is not there but giving you the choice of another station if you wish, would avoid the problems others have mentioned.
Being that the square milage of Great Britan (80,823) is smaller than the state of Kansas, (82,282) how can one consider an comparison with the US valid?

Being that the square milage of Great Britan (80,823) is smaller than the state of Kansas, (82,282) how can one consider an comparison with the US valid?
The fact that the metric that matters is the number of stations, not land area.

What's silly is making one chose the pickup station in advance.

If one reviews the Amtrak site and the British rail site, I think it's obvious that there is no easy or accurate count comparisons between the many Amtrak stations nationally before commuters, and what appears on the British rail's map to be about 22 non local British stations not including commuters. So I'm not going to waste time chasing my tail to try and prove what I feel is more than obvious to anyone who spends a little time on both website! Believe what you will; I'm moving on!

If one reviews the Amtrak site and the British rail site, I think it's obvious that there is no easy or accurate count comparisons between the many Amtrak stations nationally before commuters, and what appears on the British rail's map to be about 22 non local British stations not including commuters. So I'm not going to waste time chasing my tail to try and prove what I feel is more than obvious to anyone who spends a little time on both website! Believe what you will; I'm moving on!
If airlines can issue electronic tickets and boarding passes, without any need to use airport ticketing, why can't Amtrak do the same? If they did so most of the issues about how to get tickets for unstaffed stations would just go away.

I had your same problem recently. You'll have to call and make a reservation. Just tell them you'll pick up the ticket somewhere else, and you can just pick it up at any station. Yes, I didn't like not having the reservation in my Amtrak profile. It is nice to be able to cancel online.
Another way to do this is to make your reservation online, then telephone immediately and ask to "make a change to an Existing Reservation"... the only change being, Please do not mail the Tickets but allow me to pick them up at a Station sometime prior to my Travel.

Even so, you probably could not Cancel on-line, because the system will know that the Reservation has been "Changed", so can only be cancelled by Telephone.

Id like to buy a ticket from Monterey, CA to San Francisco, for December 6th. Usually when i buy tickets i choose the quic-trac machine option to pick up the tickets. However, since Monterey doesnt have a machine, that option isnt given, and the tickets are to be mailed. So how can i make a reservation with the freedom to cancel?
The correct answer is don't.

Take Monterey-Salinas Transit route 55 to San Jose, and then Caltrain to San Francisco. If you were traveling on a weekday, this would be the thruway bus meeting the Capitol Corridor in San Jose.

If airlines can issue electronic tickets and boarding passes, without any need to use airport ticketing, why can't Amtrak do the same? If they did so most of the issues about how to get tickets for unstaffed stations would just go away.
Amtrak is working on a system that will allow just that. IIRC, testing should begin sometime next year.

Amtrak is working on a system that will allow just that. IIRC, testing should begin sometime next year.
Since I haven't flown in over 30 years, I'm not familiar with airlines issuing electronic tickets and boarding passes. Do you have any idea how this would work for Amtrak. i.e. would one print their own tickets at their own PC or would they still need to retrieve the tickets somewhere? It should be interesting to see what does eventually develop.

Is that like how the MBTA Commuter Rail use of the CharlieCard was supposed to have taken over the system more than a year ago, and IIRC they're now saying it might happen sometime next year?

So, probobly the equivalent of having a quick-track on the train itself?

I've had a similar problem with commuter passes. The local station does not have a quick-track, and unlike real tickets, they have to be mailed. If I don't buy them at least 10 in advance, I would be required to pay extra for express shipping. Because of a quirk with buying the pass pre-tax, I usually have to get it after the 10 day window expires.

The work around that works for me is my destination has the quick-track, so I make a backwards commuter pass, and print it out at the destination the day before the month starts.

However, I we should probobly avoid comments like "Lets be more like the airlines". I ride the train because I hate everything about flying! ;)

Is that like how the MBTA Commuter Rail use of the CharlieCard was supposed to have taken over the system more than a year ago, and IIRC they're now saying it might happen sometime next year?
Actually I suspect that the CharlieCard poses additional problems that Amtrak won't have to worry about. Charlie is a stored value card. Amtrak AFAIK won't be doing anything like that. From what little I've seen on the subject, it'll be the next step up from what Amtrak is currently doing, that being printing a barcode on your reservation page. Right now that barcode only helps you to get your tickets from a Quik-Trak machine or an agent. Eventually though a conductor will be able to scan that barcode as your fare instrument.

Actually I suspect that the CharlieCard poses additional problems that Amtrak won't have to worry about. Charlie is a stored value card. Amtrak AFAIK won't be doing anything like that. From what little I've seen on the subject, it'll be the next step up from what Amtrak is currently doing, that being printing a barcode on your reservation page. Right now that barcode only helps you to get your tickets from a Quik-Trak machine or an agent. Eventually though a conductor will be able to scan that barcode as your fare instrument.
So the difference is having a handheld barcode reader vs a handheld RFID reader/writer, right?

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone's palm pilot that had a barcode reader built-in, many years ago. But it appears that the hardware the MBTA Commuter Rail system needs may already exist. (I'm not sure whether the flavors of RFID that widget supports happen to cover what the CharlieCard uses, however.)

From my experience, the UK system will let you choose to pick up tickets from a machine that isn't the start of your journey - but it does point this out to you. I've heard reports that one can collect tickets from any machine (not just the one specified), but I've not tried this. I've also picked up tickets 'over the counter' from a station. Normally I get them mailed to me - often the advanced booked UK tickets aren't refundable anyway, so theres no point in leaving collection to the last minute over here.

As to how useful it is to be able to pick up tickets from another station - one case I can think of would be of use would be a commuter who could use the machine (or counter) at the station the work near (which is likely to be in the city) to pick up tickets for travel from their local station, which maybe is unstaffed.

What the hell are you talking? Britain has 2,000 railway stations, of which I'd estimate very roughly (so while the total figure is definite, the divisions are very rough guesses, so don't start analysing these numbers), about 200 receive intercity service, 800 receive medium distance regional service, and the remaining 1,000 receive what is equivalent to America's commuter services. The national rail timetable, between me and the stationmaster at the station in my hometown jokingly known as "the Bible", is a 3,000 page document.

So the suggestion of 22 non-local stations is one of the most hilarious things I've read all week, even if it is only Tuesday.

From my experience, the UK system will let you choose to pick up tickets from a machine that isn't the start of your journey - but it does point this out to you. I've heard reports that one can collect tickets from any machine (not just the one specified), but I've not tried this. I've also picked up tickets 'over the counter' from a station. Normally I get them mailed to me - often the advanced booked UK tickets aren't refundable anyway, so theres no point in leaving collection to the last minute over here.
As to how useful it is to be able to pick up tickets from another station - one case I can think of would be of use would be a commuter who could use the machine (or counter) at the station the work near (which is likely to be in the city) to pick up tickets for travel from their local station, which maybe is unstaffed.
It gives you big red letters if it's a different station, which certainly helps. I think it does have to be the specific station, and one would have thought it very easy for the recognition of your credit card to take you to, effectively, an account in which all your purchases are viewable, so that you can print any out anywhere.

And yes, the way you suggest about using the machine at the station one commutes into is exactly what I do; I visit Leeds City every day, and when I need to, I pick up tickets there to travel from unstaffed Burley Park, or Appleby, which is staffed but without ticket collection.

The Downeaster has a fantastically simple solution, driven by the necessity to offer advance booking to all passengers as the service requires reservations (I've never known it be full, but I suppose at very popular times it can happen). The conductor has the tickets of the passengers boarding at unstaffed stations that have booked online or over the phone, and I think identification is required to present to the conductor in order to prove the tickets are yours.

The Downeaster has a fantastically simple solution, driven by the necessity to offer advance booking to all passengers as the service requires reservations (I've never known it be full, but I suppose at very popular times it can happen). The conductor has the tickets of the passengers boarding at unstaffed stations that have booked online or over the phone, and I think identification is required to present to the conductor in order to prove the tickets are yours.
How are tickets purchased after the train departs handled?

The short answer to that is that I don't know. I've only ever boarded at staffed Boston North Station and Portland.

My inlaws live in Wallingford, CT (sorry don't know the station code) which is an unmanned station without a quik trak machine. I often book travel from there to my parents house in NJ. I just book the tickets over the phone and then tell the agent I will pick them up at a quik trak at a different station. I just pick them up at BON when I am commuting to/from work. Simple as pie.

The short answer to that is that I don't know. I've only ever boarded at staffed Boston North Station and Portland.
I believe that it's handled much the same way that tickets are handled for the LD's. You simply give the conductor your reservation number, he calls space control to confirm things, and he cuts you a manual ticket. If you pre-paid, then he just deals with the ticket. If you didn't then he processes the payment also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back