Business vs Coach Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the Carolinean right now ... I think. These trains in NC are confusing. Don't know if this is always the case, but the business class car is identical to coach. But oh! The amenities. There's a seat with a cushion, complimentary window with variable view, and all the recirculated air you can breathe. Definitely worth paying extra for the perks.

I'm on the Carolinean right now ... I think. These trains in NC are confusing. Don't know if this is always the case, but the business class car is identical to coach. But oh! The amenities. There's a seat with a cushion, complimentary window with variable view, and all the recirculated air you can breathe. Definitely worth paying extra for the perks.
Was sarcasm included in the BC price too? :cool:

Let's get back on topic.

If Amtrak's Palmetto uses Amfleet II coaches for BC, how do the passengers distinguish the signs on the cars? Not everybody knows the differces between an Amfleet I and II.

The California trains probably arent worth the extra money but Ive only been on the Surfliners, not positive about about the others??
That's the only CA trains that have BC! There is no BC on the SJ or CC trains - or on the Thruway buses!
laugh.gif

I personally would say the Cascades in the northwest are worth the extra $ for BC!
wink.gif
Actually, there is an exception to the otherwise true statement that Surfliner BC is not worth a penny extra.

The 798 and 799 Surfliners between LA and San Luis Obispo are Amfleet equipment, not the two-levels, and BC is in the refurbished cafe car,in the front, and has the wonderful, leather seats with full recline and leg and as well as footrests, from the old Metroliner first class. With no one walking through the section, and with it curtained off from the cafe counter, it is definitely worth the extra $15 as you ply the most beautiful section of the CS between Santa Barbara and Guadelupe along the blue Pacific.

The regular Surfliner BC is barely different from the regular coach and the USA Today and pedestrian snack pack is worth about a quarter, IMHO.

Also, a majority of the time, a Superliner coach runs as part of the surfliner consist, due to shortages of coaches, and it's open to everyone for the regular coach price! You'll never have to wait for a bathroom, either!

do they give out snack packs to business class travelers on 798 and 799 too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's get back on topic.

If Amtrak's Palmetto uses Amfleet II coaches for BC, how do the passengers distinguish the signs on the cars? Not everybody knows the differces between an Amfleet I and II.
The Palmetto doesn't use Amfleet II coaches for BC. It uses a 60-seater Amfleet I, and regular coach is comprised of a normal 72-ish seater and three Amfleet II coaches.

And people distinguish because employees tell them. It's also typically on the other end of the train.

I'll be travelling business class tomorrow on #164 from RVR-NYP, primarily because AGR awards a free upgrade to BC when connecting to a sleeper. On my dime I would be perfectly content in coach. I will appreciate the extra leg room though.

Now that the Palmetto and Pennsy are running Amfleet-I full business class cars, these are two trains where you can get a more comfortable ride in coach, as the Amfleet IIs have calf rests and more legroom.

Having said that, Amfleet I BC generally gets you lighter loads, WiFi, and the last time I tried it, I found the seats and legroom much improved over prior incarnations. Legroom is now almost as good as Amfleet II.

Having said that, Amfleet I BC generally gets you lighter loads, WiFi, and the last time I tried it, I found the seats and legroom much improved over prior incarnations. Legroom is now almost as good as Amfleet II.
Hopefully the legroom is nearly identical. Regardless of small differences in bathroom size and a missing vestibule, they do have the same number of seats.

Let's get back on topic.

The Palmetto doesn't use Amfleet II coaches for BC. It uses a 60-seater Amfleet I, and regular coach is comprised of a normal 72-ish seater and three Amfleet II coaches.

And people distinguish because employees tell them. It's also typically on the other end of the train.
So there is Amfleet I 60-seaters, Amfleet II 59-seaters, and Amfleet I 72-seaters? This is really confusing!

Let's get back on topic.

So there is Amfleet I 60-seaters, Amfleet II 59-seaters, and Amfleet I 72-seaters? This is really confusing!
No! Not anymore. Amtrak used to have a few different seating configurations for the Amfleet I's, but today all are of the 72 seat variety. The Amfleet II's all have 59 seats. See this listing from On Track On Line.

Let's get back on topic.

No! Not anymore. Amtrak used to have a few different seating configurations for the Amfleet I's, but today all are of the 72 seat variety. The Amfleet II's all have 59 seats. See this listing from On Track On Line.
Amtrak doesn't have any 60-seat Amfleet Is?

Let's get back on topic.

60 seaters, no. There are 62 seat business class AMF I's, but no coach cars with 60 seats.

Let's get back on topic.

60 seaters, no. There are 62 seat business class AMF I's, but no coach cars with 60 seats.
Those are the cars I'm speaking of.

Let's get back on topic.

Those are the cars I'm speaking of.
Those are the cars I were thinking about, too! That cleared up the confusion, but three type of revenue Amfleets on one train is still crazy, IMO.

This is getting to be a huge quoting block!

Last edited by a moderator:
At least from my experience, in Washington for regional, they will announce that handicapped and BC passengers can board first. So, if you are BC, you can comfortably sit while waiting, and then at the announcement, waltz right on by the long line of tired coach passengers. :ph34r:

At least from my experience, in Washington for regional, they will announce that handicapped and BC passengers can board first. So, if you are BC, you can comfortably sit while waiting, and then at the announcement, waltz right on by the long line of tired coach passengers. :ph34r:
The inconsistencies of Amtrak. I was boarding Regional 195 in DC this past Monday and there was no priority boarding for senior citizens, families or BC. It may have been due to the fact that 195 and the Silver Star were boarding simultaneously at adjacent gates so it was a madhouse.

Also, I came in on #30 and was not able to board from the Acela lounge. The attendant said to go to the gate at 2:15 for a 2:50 departure. At least I got to wait in the lounge until departure, #30 was 25 minutes early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back