Business Class Pacific Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A row of seats have been removed from each row, so you can recline much further, and have more legroom.
I call baloney on this one. I'm on 769 right now and checked out the business class car. While the seat pitch is greater than a regular coach, it's definitely not twice as much legroom. The unmodified Superliner coach still feels more "luxurious" compared to the Sufliner's business class car.
bcuz it is much more luxurious!!! Surfliner biz class is akin to a fraud!
I would agree with that statement IF you inserted "NorthEast Regional Biz Class" instead of Surfliner............

It's Del Mar race season right now; anyone who DOESN'T book BC (except on Mondays) is just asking to be a human sardine...And you can help yourself to the coffee and pastries, so how much would that cost in the cafe?

The times I've been on the Surfliner business class the car didn't look like that picture at all (you do good work by the way). The ones I've been in are 2x2 seating with non-functioning displays built into the headrests. Have they been upgraded lately?
That's the lower level of the car. The upper level looks different.
Ah. thank you. I've been in BC only because the tickets (LAX-SJC) were with a an AGR bedroom on the Starlight. If I had to pay the difference, I don't think I would.

Wi-fi wasn't working in the BC car today on 774(26) -- my devices didn't even see a network.
I think they've turned off the Wifi. I overheard a conductor say that it had something to do with interference going through camp Pendleton or something.

In think I'm echoing everyone these here when I say go for it. In never thought it was worth it until I got stuck on a surfliner where there was standing room only. There was room, but no one would give up the empty seat next to them and the conductor was no help. At least in BC, the conductor is compelled to get you seated.

Another fine example of the lack of consistency of business class across the Amtrak system.

I think they've turned off the Wifi. I overheard a conductor say that it had something to do with interference going through camp Pendleton or something.
Same person who said it had been temporarily removed to make it compatible with Apple devices?

Anyway, it wasn't working again today on my return trip on 775(27) -- but this time, my devices could see the AmtrakConnectSurfliner network, but couldn't actually get to any sites.

Is it worth traveling business class (the extra $15) on the Pacific Surfliner from LA to San Diego? It will only be a one-way ticket and I'll be traveling in the morning on a Thursday.

Also, is there a difference between 768, 566, or 572?
On some routes (Illinois), Business Class makes a HUGE difference. You're sitting in the back of the snack car, it's quieter, the temperature is cooler, even the lighting is a little bit softer. One side of the car even has single seating for individual travelers. Worth the extra money every time.

But on routes like the Northeast Regional, Business Class is basically glorified coach--you're even in a coach car with other "Business" travelers--no leather seats, no easy access to the Snack Car, no difference of any kind, really. Now, there's nothing wrong with coach seating, but why would I pay an extra 16 bucks for a free can of soda and a newspaper that I could have picked up for about $1.50 before boarding?

It sounds to me like the Surfliner is more like the NE Regional routes. I'd save your money and see if you can gain access to a "quiet car" for the trip.

I need to take 2 large suitcases (22" tall) on the Surfliner from IRV to SAN soon. I've bought a bus. class seat because it's worth it to me. But, where will I put my suitcases? Is there a luggage rack on the lower level of the bus. class section?

Also, I've heard that the lower level of bus. class is reserved for those with luggage. Can I still sit upstairs or do I have to sit below with my luggage? (I'll bring something to secure the bags so no one can easily walk off with them.)

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back