Bunches of newbie questions - Empire Builder - Milwaukee to Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Twice in the last year and a half have spent 2 consecutive nights in coach. Each time first night was very good, second night restless. Travelling in coach is no big deal if needs must, a little discomfort is allowed in life sometimes.

My tip is if travelling 24 hours or more in coach, make sure that during the day and evening that you leave your seat from time to time and once or twice for an extended period.

As others have said, there's no other experience like a long distance train and if you take to it you will be hooked for life.

Twice in the last year and a half have spent 2 consecutive nights in coach. Each time first night was very good, second night restless. Travelling in coach is no big deal if needs must, a little discomfort is allowed in life sometimes.

My tip is if travelling 24 hours or more in coach, make sure that during the day and evening that you leave your seat from time to time and once or twice for an extended period.

As others have said, there's no other experience like a long distance train and if you take to it you will be hooked for life.
I totally agree with the last sentence.....however, if you throw a couple of active youngsters into the mix it's a whole new ballgame. As you mentioned, I would be staking a claim in that observation car from dawn until well past dusk.

I took a quick look at the AmSnag site and it looks like I just put in the From, To, and Date information and see what I get? It doesn't seem to allow for specifying kids or anything like that, is that right?

When I just use Amtrak's own site, it loosk like our family would be $420 (Saver), $472 (Value), $1028 (flexible), and $1718.50 (2 Romettes). That's way more than flying so the Roomette is definitely out. And since 3 of the 4 of us wouldn't be able to each anything from the train, the included meals are pretty much useless.

The Saver option breaks down as $140 for each Adult and $70 for each kid so I'm assuming that kids are jsut 50% off the adult cost regardless of which we end up going with.
I just did a quick check on Amtrak's site for curiosity sake, and found this for August 16, 2016:

MKE-SEA

2 Adult... $350.00

2 Child...$175.00

2Roomettes.. $510.00

Total ... $1035.00

You might just want to think about it.

Good luck on your trip, whichever way you choose to travel.

Whilst most people are saying dont travel Coach if you can help, I would completely disagree 18 months ago I travel 10K miles on Amtrak LD in under 3 weeks all in coach class with only a handfull of nights in hostels on stop overs and a roomette on the coach star light for 1 night and I meet some amazing people who I would never have met had I travelled sleeper and who I am still in contact with today.

I have to say travelling coach is absolutely fine and I had a good night sleep the majority of nights (the one notable exception being when we was stopped for 6 hours on the Capitol outside Cumberland in the freezing snow).

If you can get a downstairs coach seat this will give you less foot traffic thru the coach and sharing with less people as a result it is very quiet I found.

Ultimately it is down to you but even if I could have afforded to do my whole trip in sleeper I doubt I would have enjoyed it as much.

Whilst most people are saying dont travel Coach if you can help, I would completely disagree 18 months ago I travel 10K miles on Amtrak LD in under 3 weeks all in coach class with only a handfull of nights in hostels on stop overs and a roomette on the coach star light for 1 night and I meet some amazing people who I would never have met had I travelled sleeper and who I am still in contact with today.
I've traveled in coach and in sleepers many times and you can meet lots of interesting people either way. Personally I happen to think Amtrak's coach seats are the primary problem. If the coach seats were a bit more comfortable and could lie flat with some sort of divider between strangers I think that would be a major improvement. If it were possible to book long distance coach seats in a quiet car then I think I could handle it much easier. Unfortunately neither of those developments appear to be in the cards.

If you can get a downstairs coach seat this will give you less foot traffic thru the coach and sharing with less people as a result it is very quiet I found.
Two things that new travelers should know about the lower level. First of all it's generally intended for folks who have limited mobility. Second, the experience you get can depend greatly on who you happen to be seated with. On one trip I was seated with a large family of heavy smokers with extremely gravely voices who wouldn't stop talking about how Tim Tebow was the second coming of Christ and would save the world from evil. That was an experience I could have done without.

Last edited by a moderator:
We always ask for the lower level coach, but we have mobility issues ,,,,,, sometimes we are alone downstairs,,, now if there were misbehaved youth down there I don't believe I would enjoy it,,, but I will admit the lower level patrons tend to be much older and much more eclectic.

Personally I happen to think Amtrak's coach seats are the primary problem. If the coach seats were a bit more comfortable and could lie flat with some sort of divider between strangers I think that would be a major improvement. If it were possible to book long distance coach seats in a quiet car then I think I could handle it much easier. Unfortunately neither of those developments appear to be in the cards.
I agree with this. A more comfortable seat with an armrest/divider between the two seats would do wonders to make overnight coach travel more appealing (to me at least).

I see a lot of people in coach that use both seats to sleep when they have both seats to themselves.

An armrest divider that cannot be removed would negate that.

A coach seat could only lie flat if there were far fewer seats in a coach car.

The vast majority of Amtrak's long distance train customers ride in Coach and few Coach passengers are on the train for more than 1 night.

I've had a good overnight in coach -- in an Amfleet II with everyone being very quiet -- and a bad overnight in coach, in an Amfleet I with people yakking on their cellphones. (I would not tolerate that if it happened again; I'd demand to move to a different car.)

I can handle an overnight in coach. But if I want to be *sure* that I get a good night's sleep, I get a sleeper. Accordingly, I would not advise *multiple consecutive nights* in coach, because if you have bad luck, you will end up completely sleep-deprived by day three.

I HATE camping. I was forced to camp several times as a child. I have never successfully gotten one second of sleep while camping. Not once. Never camping EVER EVER AGAIN. Camping is absolute hell. I presume that people who like camping must simply not be bothered by biting insects, crawling insects, flying buzzing insects, dampness, chill winds, etc. etc. Give me a railroad coach any day over THAT hell. (Thankfully nobody ever forced me to camp two nights in a row. After the first night of no sleep they always relented and allowed me to head for an actual house or hotel.)

As the saying goes -- I am not a happy camper. ;-)
Hey, it's all about gear, equipment, and attitude. I camped out 240 days a year for five years back in the late 70's when I worked for Outward Bound.
Gear, equipment, and attitude don't do anything about the insects or the climate.
It may partly be about location. The bug-infested forests of the Northeast are the only place I've ever been dragged camping.

I've had a good overnight in coach -- in an Amfleet II with everyone being very quiet -- and a bad overnight in coach, in an Amfleet I with people yakking on their cellphones. (I would not tolerate that if it happened again; I'd demand to move to a different car.)

I can handle an overnight in coach. But if I want to be *sure* that I get a good night's sleep, I get a sleeper. Accordingly, I would not advise *multiple consecutive nights* in coach, because if you have bad luck, you will end up completely sleep-deprived by day three.

I HATE camping. I was forced to camp several times as a child. I have never successfully gotten one second of sleep while camping. Not once. Never camping EVER EVER AGAIN. Camping is absolute hell. I presume that people who like camping must simply not be bothered by biting insects, crawling insects, flying buzzing insects, dampness, chill winds, etc. etc. Give me a railroad coach any day over THAT hell. (Thankfully nobody ever forced me to camp two nights in a row. After the first night of no sleep they always relented and allowed me to head for an actual house or hotel.)

As the saying goes -- I am not a happy camper. ;-)
Hey, it's all about gear, equipment, and attitude. I camped out 240 days a year for five years back in the late 70's when I worked for Outward Bound.
Gear, equipment, and attitude don't do anything about the insects or the climate.
It may partly be about location. The bug-infested forests of the Northeast are the only place I've ever been dragged camping.
Oh yes....gear, equipment , and attitude protect you from those elements. I've hiked and camped all over New England from the Berkshires to the Whites and never came across any "bug-infested" forests. DEET is your friend.

My last (well, hopefully not my LAST) camping experience was with my father in 2011 at Yellowstone Park. We were on a driving trip from Houston to Montana (Glacier NP) by way of Mt. Rushmore and return via Grand Teton and Santa Fe. He had been a Boy Scout and had led a Boy Scout troop (including me) in the 1970s, but neither of us had been tent camping in over 30 years (save for a weekend outing in Huntsville State Park which we made to tune up for the trip).

When we got to Yellowstone avalanche warnings were posted on the major access roads. Canyon Campground still had two feet of snow on the ground and it was 31 degrees and drizzling rain/sleet. Some kind previous visitor had shoveled out the table, the fire pit and the tent site or else I don't know what we would have done...the front desk had but one snow shovel, and somebody soon broke it. Some visitors took to pitching their tents in the roadway.

We had a pump-up Coleman gasoline stove and lantern (with a Dietz kerosene lantern as an emergency backup) which Dad was unable to light with his butane lighter...butane doesn't vaporize well at 31 degrees. Fortunately I had also brought along waterproof matches. We had a summer-weight four-man tent with air mattresses and decent sleeping bags...we weren't cold while zipped in, although I found long underwear to be an asset. Of course there was the ever-present threat of bears; we kept our food in the car. Dishes were supposed to be washed promptly after use, but the only water available was ice-cold.

We did stick it out for two nights...we had originally planned for three, but on that third morning we traded The Look and I ventured the thought, "Aren't hotels wonderful?" Shortly thereafter we were back on the road headed north to Montana and the Izaak Walton Inn. Still, it's a fun (and funny!) memory.

My last (well, hopefully not my LAST) camping experience was with my father in 2011 at Yellowstone Park. We were on a driving trip from Houston to Montana (Glacier NP) by way of Mt. Rushmore and return via Grand Teton and Santa Fe. He had been a Boy Scout and had led a Boy Scout troop (including me) in the 1970s, but neither of us had been tent camping in over 30 years (save for a weekend outing in Huntsville State Park which we made to tune up for the trip).

When we got to Yellowstone avalanche warnings were posted on the major access roads. Canyon Campground still had two feet of snow on the ground and it was 31 degrees and drizzling rain/sleet. Some kind previous visitor had shoveled out the table, the fire pit and the tent site or else I don't know what we would have done...the front desk had but one snow shovel, and somebody soon broke it. Some visitors took to pitching their tents in the roadway.

We had a pump-up Coleman gasoline stove and lantern (with a Dietz kerosene lantern as an emergency backup) which Dad was unable to light with his butane lighter...butane doesn't vaporize well at 31 degrees. Fortunately I had also brought along waterproof matches. We had a summer-weight four-man tent with air mattresses and decent sleeping bags...we weren't cold while zipped in, although I found long underwear to be an asset. Of course there was the ever-present threat of bears; we kept our food in the car. Dishes were supposed to be washed promptly after use, but the only water available was ice-cold.

We did stick it out for two nights...we had originally planned for three, but on that third morning we traded The Look and I ventured the thought, "Aren't hotels wonderful?" Shortly thereafter we were back on the road headed north to Montana and the Izaak Walton Inn. Still, it's a fun (and funny!) memory.
Great story! Glad you persevered and have fond memories. After living in the field for weeks on end with my Outward Bound jobs, I must admit that I cherished my 10 day breaks and my first hot shower.

When we moved to Kauai we drove my pickup truck from Miami to Seattle and camped the whole way. The trip took 3 months. It was in July we were camping in Yellowstone and woke up with an inch of snow on the tent. Great trip though.

I took a quick look at the AmSnag site and it looks like I just put in the From, To, and Date information and see what I get? It doesn't seem to allow for specifying kids or anything like that, is that right?

When I just use Amtrak's own site, it loosk like our family would be $420 (Saver), $472 (Value), $1028 (flexible), and $1718.50 (2 Romettes). That's way more than flying so the Roomette is definitely out. And since 3 of the 4 of us wouldn't be able to each anything from the train, the included meals are pretty much useless.

The Saver option breaks down as $140 for each Adult and $70 for each kid so I'm assuming that kids are jsut 50% off the adult cost regardless of which we end up going with.
I just did a quick check on Amtrak's site for curiosity sake, and found this for August 16, 2016:

MKE-SEA

2 Adult... $350.00

2 Child...$175.00

2Roomettes.. $510.00

Total ... $1035.00

OK, so how does AmSnag work?

When I go to Amtrak.com and get a quote and then compare that to AmSnag, I get different numbers. Is that normal?

Using MKE to SEA and 8/16/16 as the date:

When I look at the 16th in Amsnag, it's $140 for each adult and $70 for each kid which is 280 + 140 = 420.

Then in the next column it says Roommette $255 (which we'd need 2 so $510).

If I then add those together, I get $930.

However, if I look at Amtrak.com for those same dates, I get the same $420 for the regular room but it tells me $1035 for the 2 roomettes.

Is it normal that things don't exactly add up?

Since sleeping car fares do not have the change/refund restrictions of the Saver coach fare I believe they use the Value fare as the base rail fare. $525 + $255 + $255 = $1035.

If amtrak.com says there is one roomette at the shown price, then it seems to price two roomettes each at the higher price.

MKE-SEA

2 Adult... $350.00

2 Child...$175.00

2Roomettes.. $510.00

Total ... $1035.00

OK, so how does AmSnag work?

When I go to Amtrak.com and get a quote and then compare that to AmSnag, I get different numbers. Is that normal?

Using MKE to SEA and 8/16/16 as the date:

When I look at the 16th in Amsnag, it's $140 for each adult and $70 for each kid which is 280 + 140 = 420.

Then in the next column it says Roommette $255 (which we'd need 2 so $510).

If I then add those together, I get $930.

However, if I look at Amtrak.com for those same dates, I get the same $420 for the regular room but it tells me $1035 for the 2 roomettes.

Is it normal that things don't exactly add up?
Amsnag doesn't give variations like senior or AAA discounts, and yes it can be hard to figure out the total. Suggest you use Amsnag to figure out which days are cheapest, then go to amtrak.com to price exactly what your trip will cost, by specifying how many adults, how many children, and checking differences if you do two roomettes vs family room (if your kids are small enough to fit) vs coach. Hope this helps.

Ehbowen alluded to one thing that trips up a lot of people - the "Coach" fare shown on an AmSnag search. Because AmSnag gets all its fares from Amtrak, the Coach fare shown on an AmSnag search will be the lowest available coach fare offered - perhaps the Saver Fare if it's made available. But the Saver fare is 20% below the low bucket coach fare and when booking a sleeper the total fare is based on the low bucket coach fare and the sleeper fare/upcharge. In addition to all that, if the Saver Fare is not offered and demand is high, the cheapest coach fare offered and seen on AmSnag may be above the low bucket coach fare. In that case, when you book a sleeper your total fare will still be based on the low bucket coach fare - even if it's not offered - and the actual fare from Amtrak will be lower that what you'd think it would be based on the AmSnag search.

Neat, huh? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thanks for all the advice a few months ago. I just booked our trip from MKE to SEA. We went with Coach Seats on the Lower Level so it's hopefully quieter and less foot traffic to interrupt the kids sleeping and to help with my wife's safety worries... :)

Thanks.

Someone suggested it earlier, but... Please don't bring tuna or smoked oysters, or anything else that has a strong smell. Please think about how other people in your train car feel having to smell them. Those odors can really linger in a train car, and on some trains the seats are assigned, so people can't just move to another car.

Hmm, food with a strong odor. You might want to include the pizza from the lounge car in that category? Concerning tuna fish[which I love, BTW], it's readily available in sandwiches at airport kiosks for consumption on a plane. I suppose, then, that it's all a matter of personal opinion. I don't like the smell of pastrami.

Well, thanks for all the advice a few months ago. I just booked our trip from MKE to SEA. We went with Coach Seats on the Lower Level so it's hopefully quieter and less foot traffic to interrupt the kids sleeping and to help with my wife's safety worries... :)

Thanks.
Can anyone book lower level seats on Superliner trains or are they reserved for handicapped/senior citizens? Are they more expensive than the standard upper level seats? Are there windows in the lower level coaches to look outside? I've glanced at them from the outside but never went in them. The other issue I would see would be all the food options are upstairs. Maybe if the SWC/others make the "at your seat" meals a regular feature that would tip the scale in favor of lower level seating.

Thanks.
Can anyone book lower level seats on Superliner trains or are they reserved for handicapped/senior citizens? Are they more expensive than the standard upper level seats? Are there windows in the lower level coaches to look outside? I've glanced at them from the outside but never went in them. The other issue I would see would be all the food options are upstairs. Maybe if the SWC/others make the "at your seat" meals a regular feature that would tip the scale in favor of lower level seating.
Anyone can book the lower level seats. When you buy the tickets online there's just a radio button for Upper or Lower. We're going to be bringing most of our own food with us and figure we'll just be up in the lounge/sightseer car for most of the trip anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back