Boston to Phoenix Plane and Train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other consideration is that the Texas Eagle has a Cross Country Cafe instead of a full Dining Car, and does not carry a Sightseer Lounge; you'll pick up a Dining Car and Sightseer Lounge in San Antonio and have them for the second half of the ride to Phoenix.
Actually the Eagle is still running with a Sightseer Lounge at last report and cafe service on the lower level. The CCC is functioning as a full diner with no cafe service.
Wow, I cannot keep straight the status of the CCC and Lounges on this train. It seems like it changes every few months! "CCC as full diner, plus a Sightseer Lounge" sounds like the best possible situation (given the current shortage of actual Dining Cars...).

Jackie,

If it was me, I would much prefer a train vs plane for several reasons:

If you get room 'H' or maybe a lower level roomette, you could stretch out/elevate your bum knee/leg, making the ride more comfy. (If you have any trouble getting around, get room "H" rather than a roomette, it has bathroom!)

The Sleeping Car Attendant should take pretty good care of you, including bringing you your meals, etc. Maybe even setting up the lower bed for you during the day, if you need it.

It actually may be more relaxing & better than flying because you would not have to figure out how to prop your leg up if needed, or walk too far for the bathroom.

Years ago I had a broken leg with a cast from hip to toe. I would never had considered flying like that. I have one word that comes to mind- turbulence!

If you're able to navigate stairs, you may want to consider a regular bedroom. They have a complete bathroom w/shower, a sofa you could stretch out on & a chair as well. That may be cheaper than bedroom 'H'.

So, I would say even though it will take more time to get there by train, I think it would be better for your injury & the healing process to take the train. I think it may lower your stress level because it would be so much easier to make you comfortable on the train, vs on the plane where there's alot less space available. So much for my two cents. Hope you heal fast!!! :p

Sunchaser

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone:
Thanks for the great suggestions -- including the non-stops from Boston.

I am going to the doctor today so we will see what he says. I think what worries me about flying any real distance is that I get pins and needles in my leg and swelling in my knee when sit too long in one spot. Being trapped on a plane and not being able to move around (or maybe even stand up and walk) for a hours at time is not realistic -- not at this point.

I find at work I can go about 2 hours before I need to some major shifting or getting up all together...

So, I guess I have some mulling to do! I am not about to give up yet on going!
With that in mind if you fly the bulkhead seat on the asile is the one you want. Gives you the ability to stand up when need be and move up and down the asile without you having to climb over anyone and it will allow you to stretch your leg out more than you would in any other location on the plane.

I wouldn't think of trying that by train. Phoenix happens to have a convenient downtown airport. Airlines take care of crippled people pretty well, actually. Older airports back east are not necessarily disabled friendly, so think about the logistics of Logan vs. Providence. I know for a fact for example, that Newark is a nightmare for the disabled.

Phoenix is the largest city in the US unserved by rail.

Flagstaff, by the way is VERY cold. I don't mean cool, I mean cold. Be prepared. If you do decide to visit folks by rail have them meet you in Flag and do Northern Arizona, Grand Canyon monument valley and the Rez, which is way more interesting than metro Phoenix, anyway.

A Saguaro is indeed a "real" cactus and the Saguaro blossom is the state flower and the cactus wren which nests in Saguaros is the state bird.

Jackie,If it was me, I would much prefer a train vs plane for several reasons:

If you get room 'H' or maybe a lower level roomette, you could stretch out/elevate your bum knee/leg, making the ride more comfy. (If you have any trouble getting around, get room "H" rather than a roomette, it has bathroom!)

The Sleeping Car Attendant should take pretty good care of you, including bringing you your meals, etc. Maybe even setting up the lower bed for you during the day, if you need it.

It actually may be more relaxing & better than flying because you would not have to figure out how to prop your leg up if needed, or walk too far for the bathroom.

Years ago I had a broken leg with a cast from hip to toe. I would never had considered flying like that. I have one word that comes to mind- turbulence!

If you're able to navigate stairs, you may want to consider a regular bedroom. They have a complete bathroom w/shower, a sofa you could stretch out on & a chair as well. That may be cheaper than bedroom 'H'.

So, I would say even though it will take more time to get there by train, I think it would be better for your injury & the healing process to take the train. I think it may lower your stress level because it would be so much easier to make you comfortable on the train, vs on the plane where there's alot less space available. So much for my two cents. Hope you heal fast!!! :p

Sunchaser
If you do take the train, I think Sunchaser gives good advice. I was considering taking my elderly mom (who uses a cane) back from Florida to Massachusetts on the train this Spring (she usually flys). However, after doing a few long distance trips myself, I have reservations. At times track conditions can be very rough and can throw you from wall to wall. If she, or you, were walking...to the dining car, to the bathroom...you could get knocked down. So Sunchasers advice about getting a room with a bathroom is a good idea. Someone else also mentioned the attendant in the sleeper car may be able to bring meals to the room. That eliminates the second need to be out of your room walking about. If all of that happened, I think the train is the way to go.

By now you've got lots of good advice for both plane and train.

I'd say either way would work fine so take the trip however you are most comfortable (emphasis on "take the trip!").

If you can use something that makes it obvious you have a mobility issue (such as your cane even if you no longer need it), you'll get more consideration wherever you are and however you travel. Just be nice to the people who say they admire you for traveling with such difficulties! If you look friendly as you travel through the airport/station, make eye contact, and smile, there'll be more than you want.

Oh yes, speaking from experience when using crutches, a brightly colored cane that attracts a lot of attention is less likely to get kicked out from under you in crowds than one of those tasteful black or brown ones.

Question about the Superliners: What are the differences between the Lower Level seats and the Superliner roomettes?

The only Superliner I have ever been on was EONS ago...and it had steps, which I can't navigate real well these days. As I recall, the restroom was down the hall.

Are there any pictures or diagrams online someplace where I can see the configurations?

And why do the lower level seats cost more than the regular seats -- in fact, I noticed that in some cases the lower level seats were only about $10-$20 less than the Superliner. roomettes?

Thanks!

-- Jackie

Question about the Superliners: What are the differences between the Lower Level seats and the Superliner roomettes?
The only Superliner I have ever been on was EONS ago...and it had steps, which I can't navigate real well these days. As I recall, the restroom was down the hall.
The lower level seats are just seats. Same idea as riding in Coach (because they are). People like them because you can avoid the stairs (unless you want to visit the Dining Car or the Lounge). Restroom access is certainly easy. There may still be a couple of steps getting on board the Train, depending what kind of platform your station uses.

Compared to a roomette, a) they don't turn into beds and b ) there is no private compartment. Just coach seats which happen to be in a fairly small room on the lower level.

Hi Everyone.

I have been silent on this thread because I was hoping for a miracle re: my leg and this trip but no miracle. I have 2-3 months of physical therapy ahead of me, but good news that my physical therapy seems to be working. I don't wobble so much when I walk! :)

Flying is definitely out because of possible blood clots and swelling, but I can drive and take the train.

So I found out some additional information. I found that I would actually need to get to Scottsdale AZ, not Phoenix. I sense that these two places are close, but not sure how close.

Would anyone have any suggestions for getting a rental car at Flagstaff to Scottsdale or a sense of how long of car ride this would be? I am opting not to take a bus because of the confinement in the seats.

If I can find the moola for the sleeper cars ( a big *if*) then this trip may not be a off the table after all..

I am set to leave this Saturday..Lord willing.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

-- Jackie

p.s. I am also planning on calling to make the reservation to inquire about the accessible bedroom if it is available. Thanks for that suggestion!

Hi Everyone.
I have been silent on this thread because I was hoping for a miracle re: my leg and this trip but no miracle. I have 2-3 months of physical therapy ahead of me, but good news that my physical therapy seems to be working. I don't wobble so much when I walk! :)

Flying is definitely out because of possible blood clots and swelling, but I can drive and take the train.

So I found out some additional information. I found that I would actually need to get to Scottsdale AZ, not Phoenix. I sense that these two places are close, but not sure how close.

Would anyone have any suggestions for getting a rental car at Flagstaff to Scottsdale or a sense of how long of car ride this would be? I am opting not to take a bus because of the confinement in the seats.

If I can find the moola for the sleeper cars ( a big *if*) then this trip may not be a off the table after all..

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

-- Jackie

p.s. I am also planning on calling to make the reservation to inquire about the accessible bedroom if it is available. Thanks for that suggestion!
Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix. See this MAP.

Google Maps says it is about a 2 hour drive from Flagstaff. See this MAP.

I think I've heard others on the forum say there is a Hertz facility at the Flagstaff Amtrak Station. You could call Hertz and ask.

Hi Everyone.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

-- Jackie

Jackie,

Try this link-

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Flagstaff&...sdale&2s=AZ

Maquest says it's 150 miles, 2 hour 18 min estimate on travel. That seems like it may be a long time, but only you would know if thats too long.

I hope you are able to get the accessible room! I think that would be the best room for you if you're not steady enough to go up the stairs for a bedroom. If you can manage the stairs (you would only need to use them on boarding & departing)

the bedroom has a shower built into the bathroom. The accessible on a Superliner has a toilet & sink, but the shower is nearby on the same level. Have a safe & fun trip!!!!

Hi Everyone.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

-- Jackie

Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix. See this MAP.

Google Maps says it is about a 2 hour drive from Flagstaff. See this MAP.

I think I've heard others on the forum say there is a Hertz facility at the Flagstaff Amtrak Station. You could call Hertz and ask.
There definitely is station service by Hertz at Flagstaff. My wife and I used it last year and I must say that it couldn't have been an easier process. IIRC it was about a 20-30 yards walk from the train to the Hertz counter and about an equal distance to where the rentals are parked.

We made an advanced reservation and they had the car ready and waiting for us upon arrival. We were about 5 hours late in arriving (around 2AM) and Hertz had a person available until the train arrived despite the late arrival.

When returning the car before boarding for the trip back, it was a simple matter of parking the car, filling out a short form and dropping it along with the keys into a drop box.

Would we do it again? Absolutely!

BTW, I found the drive between Flagstaff and Mesa (just east of Scottsdale) an enjoyable ride and I thought it went fairly quickly!

Hi Everyone.So I found out some additional information. I found that I would actually need to get to Scottsdale AZ, not Phoenix. I sense that these two places are close, but not sure how close.
Close like Cambridge and Boston (except there's no river separating them). Scottsdale is actually on the side closer to Flagstaff, though the difference is negligible.

Everyone else has ably answered your other questions, so I will simply add that it's wonderful to hear you're recovering well! Good luck with your reservations!

Scottsdale is actually on the side closer to Flagstaff, though the difference is negligible.
Looking at a Google map you might get the impression that Scottsdale is closer to Flagstaff than Phoenix, but I believe that Phoenix is actually closer. You even have to drive through the northern end of Phoenix when leaving Scottsdale before you reach I-17 heading north to Flagstaff. However, I do agree that the difference is negligible when comparing it to the overall distance to Flagstaff.

Just as a side note, once you're on I-17 heading north, MO is that the drive is a bit mundane. But eventually the drive becomes more scenic and enjoyable as you get further north!

Scottsdale is actually on the side closer to Flagstaff, though the difference is negligible.
Looking at a Google map you might get the impression that Scottsdale is closer to Flagstaff than Phoenix, but I believe that Phoenix is actually closer. You even have to drive through the northern end of Phoenix when leaving Scottsdale before you reach I-17 heading north to Flagstaff. However, I do agree that the difference is negligible when comparing it to the overall distance to Flagstaff.

Just as a side note, once you're on I-17 heading north, MO is that the drive is a bit mundane. But eventually the drive becomes more scenic and enjoyable as you get further north!
While a side note, yes Phoenix is probably literally closer to Flag, but that's only because they leap-frogged and annexed all the way out to Anthem to get the tax dollars from a development and discount shopping mall. With anywhere in the Phoenix metro area( which is HUGE geographically), it depends on where you're going as to what's closer to where and how best to get there. Most likely your best bet will be I-17 south from Flag( fastest but not most scenic) to loop 101 east(south of Happy valley rd exit.) If you decide to drive and would like directions from someone who lives in the Valley, just let me know.

Ed

While a side note, yes Phoenix is probably literally closer to Flag, but that's only because they leap-frogged and annexed all the way out to Anthem to get the tax dollars from a development and discount shopping mall. With anywhere in the Phoenix metro area( which is HUGE geographically), it depends on where you're going as to what's closer to where and how best to get there. Most likely your best bet will be I-17 south from Flag( fastest but not most scenic) to loop 101 east(south of Happy valley rd exit.) If you decide to drive and would like directions from someone who lives in the Valley, just let me know.

Ed
Thanks Ed! I had a feeling that you might chime in if you've been checking posts.

As for me, I won't be needing any directions since the only occasion where I might be in Phoenix is for an Elks National Convention in 2011 and should we choose to go, it probably won't be through Flagstaff. We might take the TE to El Paso or Tucson and take a rental from there. I say El Paso because that's the end of a 2 zone AGR trip from Albany. Who knows this far out?

Anyway, stay cool this summer and say hello to the Monsoon for me when it arrives! If you remember my mentioning, the Monsoon hit Mesa real bad just a few hours after our arrival last July!

Good Morning everyone!

Well, in 3 hours I will be on my way to South Station and on my way to Chicago and then Flaggstaff via the LSL and the Southwest Chief!

I am so excited, I could scream...

Turned out I could get the accessible bedrooms all the way if I changed my date from returning one day versus the next day. I told my boss this yesterday when she asked about my vacation plans and I told her I was still not going (that was Friday am), she asked how much longer it would take by train if I could get the accessible room and I told her just one and she told me to go for it!

Of course, I am taking work with me on my vacation, but small price to pay for not sitting around moping around the house next week wishing I were someplace sunny and warm.

As it would turn out, I am getting a bonus trip to NYC -- with the busing between Albany and Boston, I opted to take the #48 from Albany back to NYC, spend the night there and head back to Boston the next morning.

I have to say that the Amtrak reservation agent was *excellent* helping me with getting all the accessible rooms and answering my questions. She even recommended that I get accessible seating in regular coach on the Albany-NYC-Boston legs of my trip to be closer to the train doors (something I didn't think about!)

One little downside, I will spend Easter day in the lounge in Chicago... maybe the Easter Bunny will stop by and bring me a basket! :)

Will definitely post more when I return from my travels.

I have to go pack :)

Thanks again to all of you for your advice and encouragement!

Good Morning everyone!
Well, in 3 hours I will be on my way to South Station and on my way to Chicago and then Flaggstaff via the LSL and the Southwest Chief!

I am so excited, I could scream...

Turned out I could get the accessible bedrooms all the way if I changed my date from returning one day versus the next day. I told my boss this yesterday when she asked about my vacation plans and I told her I was still not going (that was Friday am), she asked how much longer it would take by train if I could get the accessible room and I told her just one and she told me to go for it!

Of course, I am taking work with me on my vacation, but small price to pay for not sitting around moping around the house next week wishing I were someplace sunny and warm.

As it would turn out, I am getting a bonus trip to NYC -- with the busing between Albany and Boston, I opted to take the #48 from Albany back to NYC, spend the night there and head back to Boston the next morning.

I have to say that the Amtrak reservation agent was *excellent* helping me with getting all the accessible rooms and answering my questions. She even recommended that I get accessible seating in regular coach on the Albany-NYC-Boston legs of my trip to be closer to the train doors (something I didn't think about!)

One little downside, I will spend Easter day in the lounge in Chicago... maybe the Easter Bunny will stop by and bring me a basket! :)

Will definitely post more when I return from my travels.

I have to go pack :)

Thanks again to all of you for your advice and encouragement!
Jackie,

That's so awesome that you were able to get the accessible bedroom!! :p I think you will be way more comfy! Please post your trip as soon you can, I for one want to hear how it works out for you! Have a good trip! Sorry you will be at the the lounge on Easter....I'll be thinking about you, though, already on your trip!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to report that I am back from my trip to Phoenix/Flagstaff on the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited with my bonus trip on one of the Northeast regional trains between NYC and Boston.

Overall, it was a spectular trip..even with my bad leg. I had many,many, MANY fantastic Amtrak staff helping me throughout -- I intend to write a letter (any ideas who to send to?)

Also, I will write about my trip in the Travelogue and if anyone is interested in photos of the accessible bedrooms on the LSL and the Southwest Chief, I took some and they turned out very well. I would be happy to email to anyone thinking of using those rooms on those trains.

It all ended too soon ...but it was worth every mile! :) :) :)

Hey everyone!Just wanted to report that I am back from my trip to Phoenix/Flagstaff on the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited with my bonus trip on one of the Northeast regional trains between NYC and Boston.

Overall, it was a spectular trip..even with my bad leg. I had many,many, MANY fantastic Amtrak staff helping me throughout -- I intend to write a letter (any ideas who to send to?)

Also, I will write about my trip in the Travelogue and if anyone is interested in photos of the accessible bedrooms on the LSL and the Southwest Chief, I took some and they turned out very well. I would be happy to email to anyone thinking of using those rooms on those trains.

I too will be in the H room of the LSL & SWC in a little over two months. Did you carve your initials anywhere in the room so I can tell if I got the same room(s)? :lol:

Don't forget to take the survey and enter the sweepstakes if it's not too late!

You can email your comments to Amtrak about your trip experiences. Click here: Contact Us

Hey everyone!Just wanted to report that I am back from my trip to Phoenix/Flagstaff on the Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited with my bonus trip on one of the Northeast regional trains between NYC and Boston.

Glad is was a good trip for you!!!! :D :D I was wondering how it went.. waiting patiently for your trip report!!!!

Glad is was a good trip for you!!!! :D :D I was wondering how it went.. waiting patiently for your trip report!!!!
Please address your compliments to the Amtrak attendants to the Hon. John McCain and the Hon. Jon Kyl. Suggest they support HSR from Phoenix to San Diego. Ask them why Phoenix is the largest city in the country without Amtrak service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back