Boston stations questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKpartyguy

Train Attendant
Greetings everyone,

I am planning a trip to Boston next spring and have a couple of questions regarding the 3 Amtrak stations there.

This will be my first visit to Boston and my first Amtrak trip in 2016.

First, is there one of the three stations that is considered to be the "main" station for Boston?

I have looked at their locations on a map but as I am not familiar with Boston I can't really tell which location would be better for me to arrive and depart from.

Second, which station would be considered the most centrally located from the city center.

Lastly, are taxis readily available at these stations?

(Since I will have a good amount of luggage,I will only be taking public transporation after I arrive and check into my hotel)

I will be attending a concert there on Massachusetts ave, and would also like to visit the aquarium.

Any other tips or advice about Boston would be greatly appreciated.

David

:cool:

128 is on the outskirts, Back Bay or South Station would probably be the ones in the running. Public transportation in Boston is pretty good. The key factor may be which hotel you are staying at.

There's a taxi stand at South Station on Atlantic Ave. I'm not sure about taxis at Back Bay, but both stations are in downtown about a mile apart.

South Station is considered to be the "main" station, and has good services at it. Back Bay does not.

For sure you want South Station where there are Redcaps to help with luggage, the Club Acela is located, and as was said, there are cabs and other services available. All Trains except the Downeaster, which runs to/from North Station, originate and terminate in South Station.

It also has the Greyhound Station and the Subway located there! Back Bay is basically a Subway/Commuter stop and as was said Route 128 is out in the burbs.

There are actually four stations that are in the Boston area:

RTE - Route 128 Station - agreed with PVD that this is not your best option if you're staying or going to events in downtown Boston, as it's pretty far away

BBY - Boston Back Bay Station - Convenient to the Prudential Center, Copley Square, and if you're going to need the subway to get to anything on the Orange Line including BON (see below) or anything on the Blue Line (via taking the orange line to State then transfer to the blue line)

BOS - Boston South Station - This is the "main" station for Boston but it is not convenient to much touristy, but best option if going anywhere on the Red Line, anywhere on the Green Line (via taking the red line to Park St then transfer to green line), and anywhere on the Silver Line including the airport. NE Regionals and Lake Shore Limited, as well as MBTA trains to/from west or south of Boston arrive here.

BON - Boston North Station - For Amtrak Downeaster trains to/from Maine and MBTA trains going to/from locations north of Boston.

Note that there is no direct public transportation connection between BOS and BON - if you are arriving at BOS and need to take a train from BON, the best option is to get on the orange line at BBY as long as you don't have checked baggage.

If you're looking for Red Caps and the most services then you'll want to get on/off at BOS. Easy access to Public transit. BBY I've never used so I can't really form an opinion on it. RTE I've used so many times I've lost count. Perfect for the burbs.

South Station is the "real station", but having had hotel stays at the Sheraton Boston, the Westin, and the Colonnade you could not beat BBY. Again, arrival time amount of luggage and where you are staying are the keys to the best answer. All of this assumes you are not coming in on a "Downeaster" those go to North Station.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I guess I will probably arrive at the South Station. Next step is to decide on my hotel.

David :D

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I guess I will probably arrive at the South Station. Next step is to decide on my hotel.

David :D
Make your reservation to South Station but if your hotel is closer to BBY, get off there. Taxis are available as is the convenient MTA subway. Also, walking distances are not far in Boston.

If he has baggage that needs to be checked, I don't think BBY can accommodate that, can it?

As far as hotels go, TripAdvisor is a good place to start. But if you're looking for a hotel close to BOS be prepared for a shock. Closest one was about $400 a night this Spring! Nice hotel, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good thought. Back Bay does not have checked baggage, South Station does. But most of the trains going into Boston are carry on anyway. With the exception of 448/449 and 66/67 coming to mind. Did I miss any?

Last edited by a moderator:
If he has baggage that needs to be checked, I don't think BBY can accommodate that, can it?

As far as hotels go, TripAdvisor is a good place to start. But if you're looking for a hotel close to BOS be prepared for a shock. Closest one was about $400 a night this Spring! Nice hotel, though.
I got the Hyatt Regency for $99 a night a couple of years ago on Hotwire for a stay in May. It was pretty easy to figure out it was the Hyatt before bidding.

I got the Hyatt Regency for $99 a night a couple of years ago on Hotwire for a stay in May. It was pretty easy to figure out it was the Hyatt before bidding.
Same. I use the hotel frequently for my early reports, and it's a nice five minute walk from the station. Last winter they were offering AAA rates as low as $80/night. All the rooms have been renovated now too, and they're finally almost done renovating their slow elevators (as a matter of fact, it's been over a month and a half since I've been there, they may be done by now.)

Same. I use the hotel frequently for my early reports, and it's a nice five minute walk from the station. Last winter they were offering AAA rates as low as $80/night. All the rooms have been renovated now too, and they're finally almost done renovating their slow elevators (as a matter of fact, it's been over a month and a half since I've been there, they may be done by now.)

If they are that slow, probably not. :giggle: :giggle:

Regarding the Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District...

All the rooms have been renovated now too, and they're finally almost done renovating their slow elevators (as a matter of fact, it's been over a month and a half since I've been there, they may be done by now.)
I thought the rooms were fairly newly renovated six months ago. When I stayed there in June, I was surprised that the new decor did not include a desk. Also no chair. (When I asked, the hotel staff did deliver two chairs that had apparently been retired from conference duty.) There was a coffee table and a shelf about six inches deep. There was a bed and bathroom, so it did have the essentials.

That is a good thought. Back Bay does not have checked baggage, South Station does. But most of the trains going into Boston are carry on anyway. With the exception of 448/449 and 66/67 coming to mind. Did I miss any?
No you didn't. Big drawback for the NEC, AFAIC, especially with more and more seniors traveling.

One nice thing is that Amtrak considers all three stations: RTE, BBY, and BOS to be the same and interchangeable. So don't worry if you have not decided on a hotel yet.... BBY is a dark, and dingy station. My kids find it frightening, but its has many more hotel choices nearby. BOS is in more of a business district.

Personally, I had a great experience with the downtown Doubletree. It came with a free pass to the adjacent YMCA. There are also a couple nice places near Faneuil Hall. It has the advantage of having 50 different restaurants all together so everyone can get what they want. Also, right next to the Aquirium.

BBY platform is dark, trash-strewn, grafitti-covered, low-level with a mini-high (because, huh, what, they thought they were gonna run freight there when they built it? I don't think they ever did), and has rats, and homeless people living in dark areas between the tracks. It *badly* needs to be replaced and spruced up.

BBY station above the platform is perfectly nice.

It wasnt that long ago that Amtrak pulled its service reps from BBY because the air-quality was usually at "dangerous levels", and the MBTA stating that it was too expensive to fix.

I think the RTE and BOS stations are both very nice. Its clear they want to compete with the airlines- BBY seems to exist more to keep the other 2 from getting overly crowded.

I travel from Portland to NYC and WAS all the time. Typically I'll connect at BOS when going southbound, so I can enjoy a good meal, relax at ClubAcela, and make sure I have a nice seat. When Northbound, I'll connect at BBY since it gets me to BON quicker.... and BON also has a decent array of food, and is also very clean.

BBY platform is dark, trash-strewn, grafitti-covered, low-level with a mini-high (because, huh, what, they thought they were gonna run freight there when they built it? I don't think they ever did), and has rats, and homeless people living in dark areas between the tracks. It *badly* needs to be replaced and spruced up.
Perhaps the platform for tracks #5 & #7, the two tracks that go to Worcester and beyond, are low level; I can't really say since I've never gone down there.

But the side platform for track #2 and the center island platform for tracks #1 & #3 are entirely high level platformsl these are the 3 tracks that lead south (RR west). There are no mini-highs on those 3 tracks. I've also never seen anyone living there, much less lots of trash. And while they're not as brightly lit as say a track at South Station that sees sunlight, the main platforms at BBY are decently lit for what are largely underground platforms. Only the tips of the northern ends of the NEC platforms see any daylight.

It wasnt that long ago that Amtrak pulled its service reps from BBY because the air-quality was usually at "dangerous levels", and the MBTA stating that it was too expensive to fix.
When was that? Amtrak.com still lists hours for the agents at BBY, 5am to 7:10pm weekdays,6am to 7:10pm Sat & Sun.

BBY is not a particularly pleasant place, but it is a very convenient place to get on/off in a part of Boston that has quite a few hotels, the convention center, a shorter distance to Fenway Park, Northeastern University, BU and quite a few major businesses. It is definitely not a "destination", but I wouldn't avoid it if that is the side of Boston you need or want to be on.

It depends how deep into spring he's traveling. There may be others. :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back