Boston advice?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,

I am considering another budget trip to the states in a couple of weeks, and airfares to Boston seem good value just now.

Has anyone any tips on either a decent hostel, or cheap motel near the station, or at the airport?

Any tips on getting from the airport to the station... I assume BOS is the main station?

I see there is an option for business class seats on the train to Chicago. Has anyone used this? Is there any more legroom, wider seats, or somesuch? It is about $60 more than regular coach and I don't want to waste money just in exchange for travelling alongside business types!

I would probably spend more time exploring Boston itself on my way home from the states...

Ed.

"Budget trip?" "Boston?"

Ha Ha Ha ha ha! :)

Actually, last winter, I found a weeknight stay at the Club Quarters near South Station with rates as low as $110 plus tax. It was a decent place, about a 5 minute walk to South Station. I have no idea what its rates will be like in May, but I am planning a night in Chicago in June and I checked the Club Quarters on Adams St. Near Union Station, and it was north of $200/night.

The problem with the northeastern United States (or, hell, anywhere within 100 miles of a major American city) is that once the summer season starts, hotel rates, even at cheap motels along the highways, go nuts. Every summer, I drive up to my Dad's camp in Maine, and as it's a 14 hour drive from Baltimore, I spend at least one night on the road. Nearly every route you take, motel/hotels are (in my humble opinion) overpriced. The last time I found a decent hotel rate was when we drove up via Scranton and Binghamton. There are motels in Binghamton, NY that I think. aren't overpriced.

Bob Dylan recommended Portland Maine. Portland is a great city, but the hotels in the Old Port Area (and even the Clarion Airport Hotel near the train station) are extremely expensive in the summer. Not only that, on weekends, you have to stay at least 2 nights. Last summer, I happened to b in Portland on a Thursday night, so I was able to bag a room at the Westin Harborview for about $150 at a government rate. (They didn't say you had to be on official travel, they just said you had to show a government ID.) That was in August. I'm not sure whether there are similar rates for civilians. When I come in on the weekend, I end up staying at a Super 8 Motel out by the Maine Turnpike for about $130 a night! While the room is OK, in any other reality, it's an $80/night hotel room. Now, it might not be as bad in May. I would recommend using Google Maps and pricing some hotels. The Westin Harborview is really nice. They have a top floor bar with a panoramic view of the harbor, and it's not too far a walk to to the Old Port. You will need to take a cab ride from the train station.

Another possibility is to check out Air BnB. We did that last summer when we attended a family wedding in Berkeley California, another fine metro area where rates for decent hotels in convenient locations blow past $200/night. We stayed at 2 very nice places in good areas for considerably less than that, but, of course, AirBnB is always an adventure.

If you are visiting Boston, you should find the time to go the Massachusetts General Hospital and visit in "Ether dome."

http://www.massgeneral.org/museum/exhibits/etherdome/

This is an old circa 1840's operating amphitheater where the first public demonstration of anesthetics in surgery was demonstrated in 1846. When I went last winter, I just walked in the the main entrance, and asked the person at the information desk. She gave me direction, and they let me wanter through the hospital, taking the indicated elevator, which took me to some corridor with a door at the end marked "ether dome." you just open the door, and you are all of a sudden transported to an 1840's operating amphitheater. They have a few exhibits of antique anesthesia equipment and a mummy (don't ask!).

On the Mass General campus, they also have a nice museum (free, so is the Ether Dome), with a lit of neat medical artifacts. A lot of pioneering medicine was done at Mass General. They also show a silent movie made in the 1930s that dramatizes the first public use of anesthesia that happened in the ether dome.

I'll admit this is a little nerdy. It interests me because my father is a (retired) anesthesiologist, and a lot of the 1960s stuff displayed in the museum takes me back to when I was a kid and Dad took me to the office and let me watch him work in the operating room. The 19th century anesthetic equipment on display does make me glad that I was born is the second half of the 20th century.

I have no idea what its rates will be like in May, but I am planning a night in Chicago in June and I checked the Club Quarters on Adams St. Near Union Station, and it was north of $200/night.
Chicago has its own issues in the summer. In mid-June, there's a major annual event at the Merchandise Mart so that all the hotels which are not blocked via the booking service used by the sponsors are still booked and expensive. It's only a 3-4 day event [sunday-Wednesday], but rates run $225-$275 & up across the city. Even the dumps are overpriced during that time.

This year, during the last weekend in June, there's a major conference at McCormick Place (15K attendees), so the hotels which aren't blocked & sold for that event are still running high ($235 & up). Nonetheless, deals can still be found. When rates are outrageous, I prefer to stay in the O'Hare area, near the stations on the CTA Blue Line (which, as AU regulars know, runs 24/7). There are close-in hotels near the Cumberland and Rosemont stations, and if, push comes to shove, most of the hotels worth staying at have an airport shuttle so that one can take the shuttle to the airport and get on the O'Hare Blue Line station and zip off to wherever. Since I'm planning on being in town during that week, I found a hotel near the Cumberland station for $132/night. Not sure I'll end up staying there, but I booked just in case other options evaporate.

If you can time your trip towards the weekend, there's usually deals to be found, particularly outside the Loop. Same goes for the hotels in the close-in burbs. If one doesn't mind Uber-ing it or have access to wheels (eg, rental car), then there are some decent places with very decent rates, again particularly on weekends. To that end, I've found Chicago to be one of the more reasonable large cities in the US, particularly with its very serviceable public transit system (once you figure it out, that is).

I'll admit this is a little nerdy.
It is, but it's very cool. I think I've heard of the Ether Dome, but wasn't aware it was actually available for viewing (though I can see why they wouldn't want a lot of visitors traipsing through a working medical facility). I will add that to my list of places to visit, along with the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia (which I still haven't been able to get to on my several visits to Philly).

If you are visiting Boston, you should find the time to go the Massachusetts General Hospital and visit in "Ether dome."

Mass General (MGH) has a great museum about medical innovation, and it is an overlooked gem.

It's also close to the T.

mgh.JPG

mgh2.JPG

mgh.JPG

mgh2.JPG

You might want to consider NOT spending any nights in Boston since it is vastly overpriced and over hyped as a place to visit Eddie! I'd consider heading to North Station and catching the Downeaster to Portland.Maine, a charming little seaside town with great seafood and reasonable hotel prices outside the Summer season. As an alternate, hop on 67 (the nice 2×1 Biz Class is Worth it!)and sleep overnight to Philadelphia, a much more enjoyable City than Boston, or Washington DC ( cheaper Hotels around Baltimore,BWI) where one can book a Hostel. I know you've done New York and would really enjoy Philly,Baltimore and Washington much more than Bawstin!!
Please, there is reason our hotels are pricey, Boston is so superior to any other American city you can't debate it. We have everything New York City has with a lot less drama. Ken
If Boston was at the same level as New York it wouldn't feel the need to compare itself to anyone else. Comparisons are the sort of claim you expect to hear from a second or third tier attraction trying to puff up their appeal and importance. Also kind of ironic to list a lack of drama in a post dripping with princess attitude. Just because it's worth every penny to some vieux riche trust fund snob doesn't mean it's an equal value to a fixed income pensioner. I've visited Boston and enjoyed my time there, but I wouldn't consider it a realistic competitor to New York (or Paris, London, Tokyo, etc).

I've visited Boston and enjoyed my time there, but I wouldn't consider it a realistic competitor to New York (or Paris, London, Tokyo, etc).
With all due respect, Chris -- I think the difference between one city and another is kind of "different strokes for different folks." I agree, you are not going to get the sort of experience in Boston that you would on New York, Paris, London etc. -- but that may not be the experience Ed is looking for this trip!

Personally, I love Boston, and would choose it over New York (but maybe not London or Paris, I don't get many chances at those, LOL).

You might want to consider NOT spending any nights in Boston
I don't know when your flight arrives, but I notice the LSL departs for Chicago at 12:50PM. Unless I had a special reason for staying in Boston, the ideal for me would be heading directly from the airport to a roomette. If I were trying to save money, I would try to determine what station 449 would be arriving at about the time jet lag would wear off. Then I would transfer to BC. If it is the 2x1 seating as some of the posters have mentioned, it is well worth the supplement.

If hotels are as expensive as everyone says, then you might come out ahead with the roomette.

I've visited Boston and enjoyed my time there, but I wouldn't consider it a realistic competitor to New York (or Paris, London, Tokyo, etc).
With all due respect, Chris -- I think the difference between one city and another is kind of "different strokes for different folks." I agree, you are not going to get the sort of experience in Boston that you would on New York, Paris, London etc. -- but that may not be the experience Ed is looking for this trip! Personally, I love Boston, and would choose it over New York (but maybe not London or Paris, I don't get many chances at those, LOL).
I personally think Boston is a great place to visit, and I'd love to see it again sometime, but comparing it to New York is not a strong way to sell the city. Boston doesn't need or benefit from the comparison. Just like San Francisco doesn't need or benefit from being compared to Los Angeles. In both cases you're talking about two rather different experiences, and comparing them anyway reeks of stepchild syndrome. People who go to New York tend to *want* the drama. If they didn't want to drown in a sea of cocky attitudes and self-satisfaction they probably wouldn't travel there in the first place. Besides, Bostonites can be cocky and dramatic in their own right.

WARNING: The following videos are both socially and politically incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Folks, thanks for the feedback on the business car and the hotel pricing options. I accept that certain places will be expensive, and have no problem with that, except finding the cash!

I often do travel outside the main city hubs and try to find cheaper accom and then go sightseeing via the local transit options.

Sadly, with our Brexit nonsense, our currency has gone down by around 20%, so stateside will be 20% more expensive this trip.

All places are interesting in their own way, but it makes sense for me to maximise my travel time by avoiding expensive locations. Boston was is the radar as an option only because of the cheap flight.

Nowadays I tend to have to look at the overall costs and convenience... Last jaunt, I crossed the Atlantic by (heavily discounted) Queen Mary cruise, then spent the next 6 nights in USA in youth hostels. :D

Back to the drawing board, I need to stop procrasternating and start booking. Then again....

Thanks again to all.

Ed.

Hi Folks, thanks for the feedback on the business car and the hotel pricing options. I accept that certain places will be expensive, and have no problem with that, except finding the cash!

I often do travel outside the main city hubs and try to find cheaper accom and then go sightseeing via the local transit options.

Sadly, with our Brexit nonsense, our currency has gone down by around 20%, so stateside will be 20% more expensive this trip.

All places are interesting in their own way, but it makes sense for me to maximise my travel time by avoiding expensive locations. Boston was is the radar as an option only because of the cheap flight.

Nowadays I tend to have to look at the overall costs and convenience... Last jaunt, I crossed the Atlantic by (heavily discounted) Queen Mary cruise, then spent the next 6 nights in USA in youth hostels. :D

Back to the drawing board, I need to stop procrasternating and start booking. Then again....

Thanks again to all.

Ed.
How did you get a discount on Queen Mary 2? It seems that I can't find it.

Sadly with Cunard, the cabins are priced for two persons. I was lucky to find a single person fare for only £100 more than the "per person" 2 person fare, if that makes any sense.

Cunard do offer discounted last minute fares, they have one now from Southampton to New York on 24th May, priced at £699 per person, based on 2 persons per room.

Considering you have a luxury cruise ship, 7 nights accomodation, 3 top quality meals per day and entertainment, and that includes the flight back, it seems remarkably good value to me.

I was even able to extend my stay for 10 weeks, and have my return flight home still included!

I believe they don't want to shout about any single fare options, I booked my ticket through "cruise.co.uk", I guess any cruise agent could offer the same?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152678716084120.1073741832.682004119&type=1&l=05e23c64e3

(Some pics from my crossing above)

Ed.

Great idea! We tend to think of cruise ships as just providing a loop tour, such as the Caribbean. Going point to point in luxury, super discount find.
I wish there was something in between these two options. For instance, taking a cruise ship to an island, spend a week or two, and then take a cruise ship back again? Or simply take a cruise ship there and then fly back a week or two later? I happen to live fairly close to the caribbean and I'm finally getting around to exploring it but I still plan to fly there because I don't see the appeal of making the ship the primary focus of the trip. Although the idea of taking a ship to Europe is appealing the way our vacation time works would mean nearly all of the trip would be spent on the ship and then almost immediately flying back again. :(

Back